Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 718196 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #795 on: June 09, 2012, 01:36:46 AM »
So you are just wrong.

Here is the difference between SDC fans, who love SDC even when we're just speculating and hoping, and the larger community of coaster fans who only want to be right, and prove it!

Welcome anyway, SuperBuckalew. If you'll stick around, I think you'll find this is a friendlier crowd than what you might be used to. We discuss a lot, and debate not very much at all.

While we all want to know the details of the new ride, nobody has much ego staked on being "right" about the details.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 09, 2012, 06:36:42 AM »
I would just like to say hi... I"m a noob. I am an urban explorer & was doing research on why the Water Boggen wasn't there anymore & about Jim Owens float trip. I happened upon this forum & I have been sitting here for hours reading page after page after page. Totally geeked out on all of this! Oh & Im a total SDC fan too....have been attending almost every other year since the early 80's

I have heard several reasons from low capacity per hour to Ada issues. It seems the area is often mentioned as a new ride location in Herchend surveys. I think the closing was ill planned as many seem to have enjoyed it and due to Dolleywood still operating a similar ride. At least I think they do..
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:03:58 PM by chittlins »

crash

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 09, 2012, 09:23:06 AM »
I've been following this blog since page one. I don't say much just because I don't want to say anything wrong.  But no one said you aren't a fan of SDC.  And sanddunerider never said that it was false.  Basically there is a lot that we do not know about and a lot that is hidden.  We will just have to wait and hopefully see what progress is done.  This whole blog is about guessing and speculating.  It's just a fun blog to give opinions on and just have fun.  You are very welcome here and I'm exciting about the tunnel.  I hope there is a long tunnel, but I hope they make it look like thunderations tunnel or a cave  theme or something to match the elements.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 09, 2012, 09:34:41 AM »
I would just like to say hi... I"m a noob. I am an urban explorer & was doing research on why the Water Boggen wasn't there anymore & about Jim Owens float trip. I happened upon this forum & I have been sitting here for hours reading page after page after page. Totally geeked out on all of this! Oh & Im a total SDC fan too....have been attending almost every other year since the early 80's

Welcome Psychosaw13- sounds like you've come to the right group!
I'm Your Huckleberry

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 09, 2012, 12:07:55 PM »
Let us all take a deep breath and turn to the words of that great philosopher, Thumper, chapter 1, verse 1  "If you can't say nothin' nice. (sigh) Don't say nothin' at all."

I like the words of the great spokesman of the latter part of the 20th century, Rodney King. Can we all just get along.

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 09, 2012, 05:28:49 PM »
So how about that roller coaster?  :-\
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 09, 2012, 05:38:11 PM »
I did not see the new fangled roller coaster. I did not see a tunnel, I did not see a drop. I didnt see a lift hill I did not see cement footers. Now from what I didnt see this is what I know. There will be a roller coaster that will be amazing. Come hill or high water. It will rival TNT. I pray that my kid will be able to ride it.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #802 on: June 09, 2012, 07:47:50 PM »
Any more off-topic or inflammatory posts will be deleted. I will clean up this thread later tonight when I have time. The whole last page is just nonsense because someone got worked up over one little post. I expect better discourse from everyone here.

ANYWAY, back to business: got to see the ride myself today for the first time, and hot damn I'm impressed. The drop is indeed stunning. 160ft at least and definitely 81 degrees. It looks like there will be a high speed, fairly low, overbanked turnaround right after the drop swooshing past hobo junction and curving around either back over the base of the drop or through the lift hill. It's hard to tell so far, but I'll be back tomorrow to look again. I didn't see the tunnel myself yet, not that I doubt it's existence, but it's really hard to see past the drop area.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #803 on: June 09, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »
*Thread purged (more or less)

Some other notes I have from what I saw today:

• It looks like the maintenance bay will be behind the loading area in the same building. It looks like there's only one bay though - I wonder if that will limit the amount of trains they can operate?
  • They're putting the old time clapboard on the backside of the station. I appreciate that they're using the old architectural styles of the park.
  • The turn after the drop is already going up. Some bents are in place, and there's a huge stack ready to go for next week.

sawblade5

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 10, 2012, 12:12:26 AM »
So you are just wrong.

Here is the difference between SDC fans, who love SDC even when we're just speculating and hoping, and the larger community of coaster fans who only want to be right, and prove it!

Welcome anyway, SuperBuckalew. If you'll stick around, I think you'll find this is a friendlier crowd than what you might be used to. We discuss a lot, and debate not very much at all.

While we all want to know the details of the new ride, nobody has much ego staked on being "right" about the details.

I am hoping someone doesn't spill the beans again on the ride layout drawing like someone who posts here did with Powder Keg before it was announced. That really sucked. Is there anything we can do to block the spoilers of the final ride layout drawings or post them to a different thread that would be nice if you have to post such a thing. I didn't like that part of the surprise being ruined.

As on another site a few years ago. We kept hushed on the layout of Prowler at Worlds of Fun until it was released to the GP so we all could enjoy the surprise and get the most of the viral marketing leading up to the ride announcement. We did know who was building it then. (we didn't know the height yet because it didn't go vertical until after the announcement) It was a fun experience then and I want to enjoy it again with SDC's New Coaster. I don't consider what is already built to be a spoiler as it's there and everyone knows about it. However only a few people knows what the final layout is, and I believe that some of those people in the know post here. So I hope the final spoilers don't come early here.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 10, 2012, 12:29:50 AM »
So you are just wrong.

I am hoping someone doesn't spill the beans again on the ride layout drawing like someone who posts here did with Powder Keg before it was announced. That really sucked. Is there anything we can do to block the spoilers of the final ride layout drawings or post them to a different thread that would be nice if you have to post such a thing. I didn't like that part of the surprise being ruined.

As on another site a few years ago. We kept hushed on the layout of Prowler at Worlds of Fun until it was released to the GP so we all could enjoy the surprise and get the most of the viral marketing leading up to the ride announcement. We did know who was building it then. (we didn't know the height yet because it didn't go vertical until after the announcement) It was a fun experience then and I want to enjoy it again with SDC's New Coaster. I don't consider what is already built to be a spoiler as it's there and everyone knows about it. However only a few people knows what the final layout is, and I believe that some of those people in the know post here. So I hope the final spoilers don't come early here.

Here's the deal. SDC is building this before an official announcement. Not only that, there's a good chance Google Earth will update imagery and that will tell the tale.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:35:11 AM by chittlins »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 10, 2012, 04:29:55 AM »
I am hoping someone doesn't spill the beans again on the ride layout drawing like someone who posts here did with Powder Keg before it was announced.

Why?

It's not Christmas, and you aren't Santa Claus. If everything was a big secret, it would all be under tarps and cover of darkness. SDC isn't Apple; leaks and speculation are not only allowed, they're encouraged. Leaks and speculation drive fan enthusiasm and excitement, and even visits to the park just to get a glimpse of what none of us can ride until 2013. If not... tarps and darkness.

Major construction on this project began 18 months before it will open, and continues through the entire season that the park is open before the project's premier. Construction takes place in full view of the public.

If you have a gripe about the open nature of this project, please call 770-441-1940 and ask to speak to Joel.  He's a very customer-oriented guy, and would love to hear from you.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 10, 2012, 04:34:39 AM »
Any more off-topic or inflammatory posts will be deleted. I will clean up this thread later tonight when I have time.

We're trying to be nice, Shave. Thanks for all your hard work taking care of this forum. It helps that it's the kind of community that is mostly self-policing.

:)

I'm glad you got to see the project. I'm jealous. This will be another year without SDC for me, unless the lottery cooperates.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 10, 2012, 07:11:29 AM »
agreed, KB..  when you nstart a project of this magnitude, your going to hear about it all year long.. the only way to avoid updates, pictures and speculation would be to avoid all media. And in this day and age, that aint goin to happen!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #809 on: June 10, 2012, 09:24:29 AM »
1. sawblade, there is no need for passive aggressive attacks.  I'm sorry your suspense was ruined.  Perhaps you should avoid the internet if you want to avoid spoilers.

2.  There is no need for self policing.  Shave does a great job by himself without your help.  Most of the time, all can be solved by ignoring the poster and moving on.  Some of you that tried to help made things worse.

3. Stop playing the victim card if you get called out.  It is fine to speculate, but be all right with the fact others might know more about the project and are not speculating.  In other words it is ok to be wrong.

4. Thanks to everyone who has been posting updates, it takes pressure off me to get down there more than I already do.  With that being said, don't be one of those posters that begs for photos when none have been posted for a couple days.  Chances are if someone has been there, they'll post them.

Thanks guys for making a great discussion thread, just play nice and don't try to do Shave's job and we'll be fine
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:05:26 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH