Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 721981 times)

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #585 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:41 PM »
Wooo looking good hurry up 2013

The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 30, 2012, 01:55:59 PM »
From that angle, it definitely looks like the lift hill has not reached its zenith point yet. Any guesses why they got this initial portion of the lift hill up so quickly and haven't added more to it? Obviously there is still construction going on around other parts of the project, just seem weird that it appears they were going gangbusters on the lift in a matter of days and doesn't look like they've done anything to it since...other than adding the small piece of topper track. I want to see this baby getting taller.  ;D

crash

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 01, 2012, 10:34:53 PM »
Well my guess is as good as anyones, but I would think it is because of the train.  They can't do construction near the tracks while the park is open so my guess is that before the operating season becomes everyday of the week, they will try and get the section that crosses over done.  Because the rest of the ride looks like it will be behind trees and such so they could build that whenever. But who knows.

emmabugsmama

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 01, 2012, 11:06:19 PM »
You're probably right, but the way I look at it is at least that will mean significantly less waiting on PK and WF.
I think it's great for crowd control, I agree with you.  Four coasters sans FITH can't have all people in one line.
I'm gettin' outta here, no matter what!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #589 on: May 02, 2012, 01:53:33 PM »
What happened to the old caboose that was in between the train tracks just past the farm again? I feel like we talked about it before, but I don't remember when/where. It was a different style of caboose, I'm not even sure if it was from the 1880's, and it was never really on display for some reason - it was just always there.

I'm also wondering if they'll do anything with the ex-hobo junction caboose or if they'll just leave it there to rot away.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 02, 2012, 02:26:42 PM »
I found this GIS map and was able to annotate it with 10 foot contours. With that said, it looks like the old robber's shack (coaster station) elevation was around 1290 feet. Just my gestimate, but I think the bottom of the drop might end up close to the 1220 contour.....which is 70 feet in elevation difference. Add that to the current height of the lift (about 70 feet) you are already looking at a pretty signficant drop....and they haven't topped out the lift yet.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 05, 2012, 02:12:38 PM »
Anyone in the city this weekend? If so, please hop on the train, snap a few pics and post them. Anxious to see the last week's progress.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #592 on: May 06, 2012, 03:34:47 AM »
Doesn't look like anyone took photos this weekend that I've seen yet, but I did hear that the lift is now noticeably taller than PK's overbank as of last Thursday.

It's definitely going to be a killer drop. Awesome job on that topo-overlay cowboy. I'm surprised I didn't think to do that myself, seeing as I'm a CivE student and I just got done doing a final project that involved building a topographic overlay of a job site.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 06, 2012, 08:52:10 AM »
Doesn't look like anyone took photos this weekend that I've seen yet, but I did hear that the lift is now noticeably taller than PK's overbank as of last Thursday.

It's definitely going to be a killer drop. Awesome job on that topo-overlay cowboy. I'm surprised I didn't think to do that myself, seeing as I'm a CivE student and I just got done doing a final project that involved building a topographic overlay of a job site.

I remember being a marketing major with two CivE major roommates. I had much more fun ;D

I maybe going to the City two Sundays from now, if a picture hasn't surfaced by then, I'll try to get one.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #594 on: May 06, 2012, 11:12:26 AM »
 I'll be there sometime for BBQ Fest.
SWOOSH

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 07, 2012, 08:45:57 PM »
I heard a little bit of news today that ought to tickle your fancy...the "drop" on the new coaster will be a little over 160 feet at an incline (decline?) of about 81 degrees.  That should make for an awesome thrill!  I walked by the loading station area yesterday (the crews were not working so it was allowed) and got to see some of the structure rising from the station...my lands, it's getting up there!  I hadn't seen any of the construction since early in the spring.  Sorry, I didn't take a picture.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #596 on: May 07, 2012, 09:01:17 PM »
I heard a little bit of news today that ought to tickle your fancy...the "drop" on the new coaster will be a little over 160 feet at an incline (decline?) of about 81 degrees.  That should make for an awesome thrill!  I walked by the loading station area yesterday (the crews were not working so it was allowed) and got to see some of the structure rising from the station...my lands, it's getting up there!  I hadn't seen any of the construction since early in the spring.  Sorry, I didn't take a picture.

This is exactly what I have been wanting to hear since RMC was announced for this project. Wow, so happy... don't want to get too excited though, we need to acknowledge that without official confirmation (which is still months away) everything is still rumors at this point.

So basically, if that holds true, we're getting a slightly TALLER and STEEPER version of this:

Throw in some awesome airtime hills and terrain hugging curves and this has the potential to end up as the top wooden/hybrid/whatever in the world.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 07, 2012, 09:53:29 PM »
oh my :o

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 07, 2012, 10:05:47 PM »
That is beautifully juicy news..............And Swoosh said that news couldn't be released yet  !!!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:07:20 PM by mhguy77 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 08, 2012, 04:40:36 AM »
NICE!!!   You coaster riders should love that! ;D