Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 717972 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #525 on: April 24, 2012, 12:58:44 PM »
Wish we could somehow get an aerial view to get a better sense for the potential layout of this thing. I am relieved that it seems they'll be taking full advantage of the woods, rather than simply clearing one expansive area and placing a coaster on it.

On a totally separate note, can someone please tell me what type of ride/feel we can expect from a steel wheeled coaster on steel topper track?

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 24, 2012, 01:53:43 PM »
On the RCBD link that Shave posted the other day with the information on the coaster it shows that there are 0 inversions.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:54:23 PM by joshblakebran »
Colorado SDC Fan

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 24, 2012, 06:50:30 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, Swoosh.

If I'm understanding this right it is an expansion of Wilson's Farm along the lines of Wildfire (but with a few more options) and not a whole new park "area".
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

sawblade5

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 25, 2012, 12:53:19 AM »
No one here really knows if this will or will not have an Inversion taking note from the Unknown status of the RCDB Entry at http://www.rcdb.com/10582.htm . But it seems very likely from not seeing any footer shots suggesting an inversion structure it will not have an Inversion. Remember the Son of Beast had a large tubular steel structure with deep footers supporting it's loop.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #529 on: April 25, 2012, 01:58:04 AM »
Interesting that an inversion was mentioned by employees. It doesn't seem like that would be something they would be talking about without a hint of truth behind there somewhere to start the rumor, but who knows. I think they certainly have the ability to pull it off at this point, and they no longer need a huge tubular steel structure like SOB with the new track. It's just a matter of whether the park would actually spring for it, and there's certainly room for arguments on both sides as SDC is both conservative and daring with their coasters, and wants to cater to thrill seekers with this ride but also may want to stay clear of inversions to appeal to everyone.

I'm not going to place any bets on it having an inversion, but I do think it will have some turns that will go beyond 90 degrees at the very least. There may be some kind of crazy element that they market heavily to show off the new track.

And yes it is an expansion of Wilson's Barnyard, that much is for certain.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 25, 2012, 07:47:49 AM »
Interesting that an inversion was mentioned by employees. It doesn't seem like that would be something they would be talking about without a hint of truth behind there somewhere to start the rumor, but who knows. I think they certainly have the ability to pull it off at this point, and they no longer need a huge tubular steel structure like SOB with the new track. It's just a matter of whether the park would actually spring for it, and there's certainly room for arguments on both sides as SDC is both conservative and daring with their coasters, and wants to cater to thrill seekers with this ride but also may want to stay clear of inversions to appeal to everyone.

I'm not going to place any bets on it having an inversion, but I do think it will have some turns that will go beyond 90 degrees at the very least. There may be some kind of crazy element that they market heavily to show off the new track.

And yes it is an expansion of Wilson's Barnyard, that much is for certain.

And now according to a report in screamscape it's mostly out and back with some twister elements. Also Dollywood rumors have started with DW management having their own ideas they want to work with RMRC about making.

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 25, 2012, 08:21:10 AM »
Fact is that until we actually see a official layout none of us really know. Only thing we do know for certain is that it will have a lift hill. lol So I went back and I had completely forgotten about the Bull wooden coaster concept they sent out a year or two back. So what do you all think? Will this be the direction they go in with the theme of this ride? I personally have mixed emotions about the idea.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:23:00 AM by Grapeslie »
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 25, 2012, 09:21:29 AM »
I believe it will. Just based off of previous concept descriptions and the actual rides that followed, I think the rides have generally been pretty consistent with their concept write-ups. Powder Keg was dead on, with the exception of a 200 ft. drop that was mentioned. RB, while not a thrill ride, was built almost to the letter of its description.

Like GE, I've never really been a fan of the Wilson's Farm area, as it doesn't feel true to the rest of the park. That said, I too have mixed feelings about the potential name, but as long as the ride shines, I guess it's name is relatively moot. The concept description for "The Bull" didn't disclose much other than speeding through the woods, the train snorting steam from its nose as it climbs the lift hill, and possible tunnels being punched into the ground with its horns.

More than anything, I just hope this coaster goes much deeper into the woods than it appears to be at this point. Unfortunately, there's really no way of truly knowing without someone getting an overhead shot of the area.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 25, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »
I think a very simple thing to do to make Wilson's Farm fit in better would be to weather the barn a bit. As it is, it's just such a vibrant red that it doesn't really fit with the "distressed" look of the rest of the park. Like, I'm really loving how River Blast is looking. It's gotten weathered and it fits in so well now with the rest of the park.

So, I'm hoping the ride building for the coaster will have maybe a more brown or wooden look.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:16:04 AM by Joy »

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 25, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »
Agreed. You can bet this coaster will look new for a while, but with time, it's going to blend in nicely. I would guess with a similar look to that of TNT.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #535 on: April 25, 2012, 12:10:49 PM »
And now according to a report in screamscape it's mostly out and back with some twister elements. Also Dollywood rumors have started with DW management having their own ideas they want to work with RMRC about making.

Remember that Screamscape is not an authority on theme park news. It's run by one guy who posts pretty much anything he hears about, sometimes even if it's only enthusiast chatter. I mean, from what we've seen so far it definitely looks more or less like a slightly twisted out-and-back, but I wouldn't say it's confirmed yet.

As for the theme, I still do think they'll do something along the lines of the bull theme, but  hopefully with a better name and backstory. The theming elements they described sound awesome and it would fit the park well.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 25, 2012, 02:44:42 PM »
I believe Thunderhead is HFEC's largest wooden coaster. And while it was a completely different designer, I'm interested to see how this new coaster will compare both in scale and quality. I would love our coaster combine similar banking and twisting elements to that of Thunderhead, but with at least the height, scale and speed of something like The Boss at SFSTL. Is it unfair or unrealistic to hope and expect a Top 10 woodie (if it qualifies) or #1 hybrid coaster ranking from this ride?

Thunderhead @ Dollywood
by GCI circa 2004
Type: Wooden
Cost: $7 million
Largest Drop: 100ft.
Features: 22 turns, 32 crossovers, station fly by)
Length: 3,230ft.
Top Speed: 55mph

The Boss @ Six Flags St. Louis
by CCI circa 2000
Type: Wooden "Terrain Twister"
Cost: ?
Largest Drop: 150ft.
Features: Drops of 150, 112, 103 & 72ft. + 570 degree helix
Length: 5,051ft
Top Speed: 66.3mph

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:46:51 PM by BackInTime9 »

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #537 on: April 25, 2012, 02:50:07 PM »
I believe Thunderhead is HFEC's largest wooden coaster. And while it was a completely different designer, I'm interested to see how this new coaster will compare both in scale and quality. I would love our coaster combine similar banking and twisting elements to that of Thunderhead, but with at least the height, scale and speed of something like The Boss at SFSTL. Is it unfair or unrealistic to hope and expect a Top 10 woodie (if it qualifies) or #1 hybrid coaster ranking from this ride?

Thunderhead @ Dollywood
by GCI circa 2004
Type: Wooden
Cost: $7 million
Largest Drop: 100ft.
Features: 22 turns, 32 crossovers, station fly by)
Length: 3,230ft.
Top Speed: 55mph

The Boss @ Six Flags St. Louis
by CCI circa 2000
Type: Wooden "Terrain Twister"
Cost: ?
Largest Drop: 150ft.
Features: Drops of 150, 112, 103 & 72ft. + 570 degree helix
Length: 5,051ft
Top Speed: 66.3mph

Just thought you might like to know,
those are my two favorite woodies!!!!! ;D
(that are alive today; my favorite was OzCat)
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #538 on: April 25, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »
Just because I can....

HFEC Wooden Coasters
(Length)
1. Twister II 4640'
2. Predator 3400'
3. Thunderhead 3230'
4. Cheetah 2640'
5. Ozark Wildcat 2613' (SBNO)

(Height)
1. Twister II 100'
1. Thunderhead 100'
3. Predator 95'
4. Cheetah 92'
5. Ozark Wildcat 84' (SBNO)

Missouri Wooden Coasters
(Length)
1. The Boss 5051'
2. Timber Wolf 4230'
3. Screamin' Eagle 3827'
4. Prowler 3074'
5. American Thunder (Evel Knievel) 2713'
6. Ozark Wildcat 2613' (SBNO)

(Height)
1. The Boss 122'
2. Screamin' Eagle 110'
3. Prowler 102'
4. Timber Wolf 100'
5. Ozark Wildcat 84' (SBNO)
6. American Thunder (Evel Knievel) 82'
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #539 on: April 25, 2012, 04:21:28 PM »
Surprisingly I haven't even looked at the stats of the other Missouri coasters yet with any real scrutiny. Looks like this will easily be the largest wooden coaster in the state in terms of height and maybe in length as well. I don't think it will quite beat Mamba's 205ft drop, but it will be interesting to see if it ends up as the second or third largest coaster in the state.