Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 722066 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #510 on: April 23, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »
Is it selfish for me to wish for a drop that tops the 200ft. mark? Don't see it happening, and height certainly is not always an indicator or guarantee for a fantastic ride, but I'm just hoping this thing is a monster in relation to the other coasters SDC already boasts. I would be equally happy if it fits into that category by its length and overall size. Even without releasing any name, artwork, or teaser video(s), that's why I wish HFEC would at least just make a formal announcement/confirmation about the ride's construction, contractor and budget. The money alone would give us a pretty good clue as to how big this coaster will actually be. And obviously if that $12 million number that's been thrown around is shared with the other RMC project, or exclusively for this coaster, it will mean a dramatically different scale of ride in the end.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 23, 2012, 01:21:28 PM »
I'm Your Huckleberry

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 23, 2012, 01:46:39 PM »
Swoosh....thanks a ton for the pictures. Looks like things are progressing quickly. Sadly I don' think I'm going to make it to SDC this year, however next year I'm going to be riding the new coaster like crazy. I'm very proud of Herschend for following through with the building of a new coaster....looks like it is going to be pretty good sized...
Colorado SDC Fan

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 23, 2012, 04:05:14 PM »
Thank you Swoosh for the pictures.

Looks like they still have a ways to go on the lift though. I based this "obseration" on the width of the bottom structure.....the structure looks to be getting wider which could mean more height and it stays wide for several more feet. Of couse it could just mean there is additional runs of track in that area too, but I'm guessing (hoping) it's going to be for the height of the lift.

There does seem to be an illusion of the lift already starting to crest, but if you look at the installation of the last wood beam, it looks to be attached to the bottom of the cross beam, instead of the same location as the others....I think if it was attached in the same spot, you would see a continual rise between all of the bents.

Jay

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 23, 2012, 04:35:25 PM »
Good job, Swoosh. They have made progress since I visited Thursday of last week. Seems like they are really moving on this project.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 23, 2012, 04:51:03 PM »
Anyone have any idea what will or could be going into the large open/cleared area in the last few pic Swoosh shared? based on the captions, I believe this is from the vantage point of Wilson's Farm, presumably in the area where access to the new coaster will begin. This open area looks huge, but without seeing it overhead, I'm confused about it's actual location and size in relation to the current construction and its surroundings. Just wondering if more coaster will be going here, will it become an expansion of Wilson's Farm, etc?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #516 on: April 23, 2012, 05:38:31 PM »
^That's the station, queue line area. You can see the station foundations behind the truck.

It is strange that they leveled so much of it though. I don't think any of the actual coaster will go here besides the bit leaving and coming to the station, but the queue will have to be quite large, and they may have other things to throw in such as concessions, bathrooms, and (hopefully not) games.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #517 on: April 23, 2012, 06:38:33 PM »
The area will be used for the station, a retail place, ODV cart and some BOH buildings.
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 23, 2012, 07:16:50 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. The area just looks huge even outside of footprints of the station/retail and potential transfer house. Seems like a ton of cleared area just for these buildings a the queue, but definitely hard to get a sense of the actual space without actually being there. Really appreciate the updates and pictures. It's really exciting to see this ride taking shape, and progressing so quickly.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 23, 2012, 08:07:48 PM »
Like I said, there will be at least one BOH structure in the area to help replace the one that was removed.

I should be down again next month.
SWOOSH

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 23, 2012, 08:16:59 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but ODV and BOH stand for what?
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 23, 2012, 08:46:29 PM »
BOH = Back of House.
ODV = Out Door Vendor (cart)

Sorry, I get so used to the jargon that I rattled them off out of habit. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:48:51 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 24, 2012, 08:15:21 AM »
Well I can confirm it will not be a pure woodie. There is brown track on site. No photos as the track is still a "secret"

speaking of that. One if the main things I kept hearing from the employees at the park while I was there this past weekend is that this new coaster would have a inversion! Which made me cringe cause I immediately went thinking of SOB and I tend to hate gimmick stuff. However though I do also trust SDC and if they do something of that nature I'm sure they will do it right! But dear god let this be more wood coaster than gimmick!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:16:24 AM by Grapeslie »
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 24, 2012, 10:34:43 AM »
Agreed. I sincerely hope they are not planning that type of element for this ride. Save the inversions for their steel counterparts. That's where they belong. I would hope and think the innovations RMC can bring to the table with this coaster can stay within their train system and topper track. If they're looking to make a splash or break records with an actual track element, give us drops, banks, airtime, etc. I think coaster enthusiasts would agree that what makes a coaster a great one, is a design that stays true to itself and utilizes a great design and accompanying terrain to accentuate the ride. I know they'll get it right with this coaster, regardless of the end result.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 24, 2012, 11:01:47 AM »
Agreed. I sincerely hope they are not planning that type of element for this ride. Save the inversions for their steel counterparts. That's where they belong. I would hope and think the innovations RMC can bring to the table with this coaster can stay within their train system and topper track. If they're looking to make a splash or break records with an actual track element, give us drops, banks, airtime, etc. I think coaster enthusiasts would agree that what makes a coaster a great one, is a design that stays true to itself and utilizes a great design and accompanying terrain to accentuate the ride. I know they'll get it right with this coaster, regardless of the end result.

This coaster seems like an out and back type and if it has an inversion that will give them something to really hype but I'll not only pine for my spinniner but a tight twister type woody without going upside down.