Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 717946 times)

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #495 on: April 22, 2012, 01:47:25 PM »
Any new pics to share???

I know we've touched on this a bit before, but I can't help but wonder if the pace and progress of construction is an indication of it's overall scale (and needing to start this early to ensure its completion by opening day 2013), or SDC just trying to take advantage of good weather. The answer is moot, but it sure is interesting. Never would have dreamed we would see this much going on at this point.

I know I would like to think the reason was the grand scale of the ride, but either way I'm sure they are taking advantage of the wonderful weather. You never know when Ozarks weather will turn nasty. "Make hay while the sun shines," as they say.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #496 on: April 22, 2012, 02:26:27 PM »
Well I can confirm it will not be a pure woodie. There is brown track on site. No photos as the track is still a "secret"
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 22, 2012, 05:29:29 PM »
As of today the lift hill is visible from Wildfire and also PowderKeg.  The height of the hill I would estimate at 70 ft as
it closely matched the height of the swing.  ( Ans by that I mean the frame of the swing.)
Interestingly the wood frame does not seem densely placed like wildcat or thunderhead, it is lean on the wood content.
Possibly I am looking at the basic frame and not additional supports that will be added a a later time.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #498 on: April 22, 2012, 05:38:34 PM »
Very interesting. Where is the lift and to what direction is it oriented? Does it look like it will dive into that valley behind hobo junction like I thought earlier? A 70ft lift + another 50ft or so change in elevation could make for a nice drop, and further elevation drops down the valley could make an interesting layout that gets faster as you go along. The first drop might not even be the largest.

As for the leanness of the frame, the probably have just set up the bents and haven't added all the cross ties yet.

Is the track on site visible from the usual vantage points? I didn't know they were keeping that a secret, but if so I hope we can all agree to follow the park's wishes as best we can. Someone is going to spill the beans pretty quick if it's out there though.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 22, 2012, 05:44:01 PM »
Where is the lift and to what direction is it oriented?
Didnt ride the train as I started to feel poorly.  The hill will dive into the valley or come real darm close.  This is really going to push the park out twords the woods.  I am not sure if future plans call for more building out there but it sure seems probable the direction they are going.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 22, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »
I'll post pics tomorrow morning and you can see what he means then.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 22, 2012, 09:03:25 PM »
I went up on Wildfire and was going to take a second ride so I could secure a photo from that vantage point.
Interestingly you can see the hill from no other place on property other than the tops of the coasters and probably the swing. I am glad they are keeping lines of sight clean and not obstructed with large rides.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #502 on: April 22, 2012, 09:26:55 PM »
I went up on Wildfire and was going to take a second ride so I could secure a photo from that vantage point.
Interestingly you can see the hill from no other place on property other than the tops of the coasters and probably the swing. I am glad they are keeping lines of sight clean and not obstructed with large rides.

I'm gonna have to remember that next time I'm there!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 22, 2012, 09:32:27 PM »
Of course you can see it from TGS, you can most of the visible construction from it.

The only part of this ride that will be visible is the station, lift and far turn around. The rest is in the wood and valley.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #504 on: April 23, 2012, 12:46:37 AM »
Looks like the ride is now 'RCDB official', not that we needed it to be any more official than watching the lift go up.  ;)
http://rcdb.com/10582.htm

Interesting information about the layout Swoosh. I wonder if that far turn around will be something unique like a hammer head or extreme overbank. They can probably pull it off with special track...

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 23, 2012, 07:01:32 AM »
Rode the train sunday, and yes shave, there is going to be a big drop into the valley behind HOBO jct..

Lots of wood going up on what appears to the lift hill..

The station appears to have "grown" more concrete since i was there 4 weeks ago..  Lots of progress this last month. No photos from me this time.. (I knew swoosh would have the camera fired up and ready!)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 23, 2012, 09:48:31 AM »
Swoosh has posted updated pics on Midwest Info Guide. Hope that lift hill continues to grow vertically. Anyone care to speculate if they think this coaster will wind up with the largest drop in the park?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 23, 2012, 09:56:14 AM »
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 23, 2012, 10:33:29 AM »
Nice set of pics swoosh,  I knew you would have some great shots to post......

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #509 on: April 23, 2012, 11:44:48 AM »
Anyone care to speculate if they think this coaster will wind up with the largest drop in the park?

I don't think it's out of the question yet. That lift looks like it could be over 100ft when completed, and the valley drop could easily account for another 50ft or more. It only has to beat 155ft, and if this thing is built for speed I could see them trying to do that. This'll be an extreme ride if it really is going to be below the tree line most of the time after a drop that large though. Definitely looking forward to seeing the first airtime hills pop up on this thing.