Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 717995 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #360 on: March 18, 2012, 11:56:44 AM »
They could go in and plant some pines that are evergreen to help shield things from one another.
  Hopefully this is not looked upon as a fix all, I have noticed they are planting a lot more of this type of tree at SDC.  They do provide screening but do not have the character of a tall oak or a redbud in bloom.  They also lack the seasonal change that the other trees provide.  I always enjoy the bright new spring green this time of year or the golden fall colors.
Fir trees and pines do provide screening but very little character.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #361 on: March 18, 2012, 01:01:24 PM »
Wonder how long it will be before we start seeing bents going up on the footers already dotting the area. Really anxious to see some wood start showing up. Are we assuming this coaster will incorporate the RMC steel track topper?

We know it will include steel topper track. I posted an interview awhile back where one of the high ups in this company was talking about the project to TPR and he highlighted the fact that it would use new trains, steel topper track, and steel wheels.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 18, 2012, 10:48:32 PM »
They could go in and plant some pines that are evergreen to help shield things from one another.
  Hopefully this is not looked upon as a fix all, I have noticed they are planting a lot more of this type of tree at SDC.  They do provide screening but do not have the character of a tall oak or a redbud in bloom.  They also lack the seasonal change that the other trees provide.  I always enjoy the bright new spring green this time of year or the golden fall colors.
Fir trees and pines do provide screening but very little character.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I love evergreens but not complete dense stands of them. Guess it's the time I spent in south arkansas hunting as a kid.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 19, 2012, 08:17:27 AM »
Just a quick request...if anyone visits the park this summer could you please post photos of the construction here so the rest of us can keep up with what is going on? THANKS!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 19, 2012, 08:40:13 AM »
I dont get how to post pictures.  ??? Can someone explain it to me??
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #365 on: March 19, 2012, 09:41:06 AM »
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #366 on: March 19, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »
Wait, has Hobo Junction been destroyed? The caboose is still there. but I don't see Grandpa taking a shower or any of the other figures that were out there. Are they out of frame or completely gone?

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 19, 2012, 10:47:52 AM »
Its all gone!!!  >:( Just the caboose is left but for how long I dunno...
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 19, 2012, 10:51:56 AM »
I'd be willing to bet they find a new home.

Thank you for sharing the pics, Swoosh. Now that you have seen the site in person, do you have any sense for the presumed scale of the overall ride? You used the word "massive" to describe the loading station and the footers. Obviously that doesn't necessarily mean the ride itself will follow suit, but I was curious to hear if you had a gut guess on the how big this coaster may be, based on how much they've already done.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 19, 2012, 10:53:53 AM »
oh NO!!!  Gone?  there goes another landmark.. Where is granpa going to shower now,???

I dont see with as long as they had to design this ride why they are infringing on the train area so much..

Maybe when its all done it will make more sense....???

Maybe.. ::) ::)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 19, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »
We all know the powers that be know well and good how beloved the train ride and it's accompanying elements are to SDC visitors both old and new. I for one believe the addition of this new coaster in the area is actually going to make the train ride even more interesting. Think about all of the untouched wooded area that flanks the train tracks for most of the loop. There are plenty of places the Hobo junction elements could be relocated along the existing route. The train robbery has already been moved once. No reason to think they can't do the same for Hobo Junction.

On another note, in looking at the pics Swoosh posted of the ongoing construction progress, I couldn't help but speculate on a potential clue. Take a closer look at the placement of the many footers already dotting the site. Could this be the potential shape of some track soon to be in place? Perhaps a helix element? Sorry, folks. Couldn't help myself.

Admin Edit: Please don't modify and/or redistribute copyrighted photos without getting the permission of the owner first.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:20:54 PM by shavethewhales »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 19, 2012, 03:40:40 PM »

Me too!  I've tried without success.  I keep getting messages that state my "photos are too large".

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 19, 2012, 04:53:30 PM »
Thanks for the new photos...much work has been done at the site since I took photos on opening day!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #373 on: March 19, 2012, 06:15:23 PM »

Me too!  I've tried without success.  I keep getting messages that state my "photos are too large".

A lot of cameras take photos that have huge file sizes right after you take them off the camera. In order to upload photos to this forum, you'll have to resize your photos to a smaller size by opening them up in a program like paint and resizing them.

The best way to post photos though is to not upload them directly to the site, but rather to set up an account on flikr or imgur.com and just post the links to your photos there. Once upon a time I was working on a fully functional photo sharing feature for this site, but I simply don't have the time to put into it anymore. It ended up being a massive program and it still doesn't work right.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, if hobo junction is indeed gone then I wouldn't expect to see it back. This was a part of the old days of SDC that management has been slowly stamping out. I'm sure someone deemed it un-PC.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #374 on: March 19, 2012, 06:15:55 PM »

Thank you for sharing the pics, Swoosh. Now that you have seen the site in person, do you have any sense for the presumed scale of the overall ride? You used the word "massive" to describe the loading station and the footers. Obviously that doesn't necessarily mean the ride itself will follow suit, but I was curious to hear if you had a gut guess on the how big this coaster may be, based on how much they've already done.

I think the station will include a retail location like WildFire.
As for the layout, I think it is safe to assume a curve will be located at hobo junction and another at the tunnel.
SWOOSH