Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 722640 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #345 on: March 15, 2012, 04:59:26 PM »
I got the problem fixed with my Flickr address listed above...try it again, it works now! Thanks!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 15, 2012, 05:17:32 PM »
Thanks for the pics Junior, I really enjoyed them. Appreciate you getting them posted so quickly.  I always enjoyed Doc Gizmo's experiments.  The Sons of the Silver Dollar always put on a great show.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #347 on: March 15, 2012, 05:48:40 PM »
Wow, I didn't expect full throttle construction to start so soon on this ride. I thought they might do a little clearing and get the station started, but it sounds like they're really going after the whole thing with footers and whatnot. I couldn't believe how many there were already.  Your note about them coming close to Hobo Junction miffs me a little, but as long as it's back there where it's not too visible we can bear it. Like we've said before, the train is one of those last vestiges of the real old days of SDC and these new coasters are really starting to encroach upon it.

At this rate, who knows how quickly we'll see vertical construction start. That station is going to start getting off the ground soon, probably within a couple of weeks. With that many footers in place they could start putting wood up soon as well. I wonder if the plan is to get a lot constructed so they can show it off before the park closes for the season?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 15, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »
nice thanks junior,.

i am surprised that what little work they are doing in EH isnt done yet... be interesting to see the final product for GAC and the new western show.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 15, 2012, 06:51:05 PM »
Thanks so much for the update, Junior. Probably unfair and way too early to speculate this, but from the looks of the footings, I do not get the impression this is going to be a bigger out and back coaster. But a whole lot more can happen in the 365 days until opening day 2013.

Probably seems like a silly question, but from a marketing standpoint, especially knowing there isn't a new attraction to push this year, I wonder why they would not have already released information about the ride itself. Seems to me it would be smart to set the tone earlier than later, but I guess driving offseason ticket sales is more effective if you time it in conjunction with the unveiling of an upcoming attraction. It's just going to tough if we have to wait until November for to see an official announcement about the name and features of the ride. Obviously, we'll have some clues based on what we see going on in the park, but it's difficult being patient.

Funny, I'm almost 40 years old, but I feel like a kid in a candy store when I walk into SDC. Even more so when anticipation is building around a new addition to the park. I enjoy bigger amusement parks too, but they don't come close to doing the same thing for me.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 15, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »
Maybe they'll open of up early during OTC for an early gift and use it as word of mouth marketing to drive season ticket sales during the off season. ;D

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 15, 2012, 10:36:34 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Junior. We can always count on you to keep us up to date. In looking at the pictures it seems like the construction is pretty close to the train tracks. Is this just me not seeing things right? Of course wants the trees start filling out and sich maybe this wouldn't seem to be the case. Looking forward to the ride...I'm like you Sanddune, I thought construction on EH would be further along, if not already done. It will be interesting to see how that develops.
Colorado SDC Fan

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #352 on: March 15, 2012, 11:00:36 PM »
^The construction is right on the train tracks. The station is pretty much right on where Grandpa used to sit to tell the Christmas Story, and the tracks run off to the side down the valley in two directions. The track will have to cross over the train tracks to get to the lift hill and then once again for the break run into the station.

Thanks so much for the update, Junior. Probably unfair and way too early to speculate this, but from the looks of the footings, I do not get the impression this is going to be a bigger out and back coaster. But a whole lot more can happen in the 365 days until opening day 2013.

Probably seems like a silly question, but from a marketing standpoint, especially knowing there isn't a new attraction to push this year, I wonder why they would not have already released information about the ride itself. Seems to me it would be smart to set the tone earlier than later, but I guess driving offseason ticket sales is more effective if you time it in conjunction with the unveiling of an upcoming attraction. It's just going to tough if we have to wait until November for to see an official announcement about the name and features of the ride. Obviously, we'll have some clues based on what we see going on in the park, but it's difficult being patient.

Funny, I'm almost 40 years old, but I feel like a kid in a candy store when I walk into SDC. Even more so when anticipation is building around a new addition to the park. I enjoy bigger amusement parks too, but they don't come close to doing the same thing for me.

You can't tell much yet about how big this will be. The footings at this point are pretty much the same for a giant coaster or a tiny one. Time will tell how far out they go...

As for releasing info, the park wouldn't want to let everything loose just yet because for one thing it would encourage some people to wait out this year or go somewhere else and visit in 2013 instead. You want to wait long enough for the majority of season passes to be purchased at the very least. They can't sell 2013 passes just yet, and that's the whole point of any ride addition. I expect an announcement by late summer though. Wild Eagle was announced Sept. 4 I believe.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 16, 2012, 09:03:13 AM »
Thanks for the photo's and update Junior. I felt like I was actually there. Can't wait till we get to take our 1st trip of the 2012 season to see it with our own eyes.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #354 on: March 16, 2012, 11:32:25 PM »
New construction makes me nervous, especially so close to the train tracks. There is just something about seeing big equipment, and dug up ground, and knocked down trees that makes me cringe a bit. I know everything will work out beautiful in the end, and Silver Dollar city is a living, and growing city. However, it will take some getting used to.

I look forward to more updates! ;D

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 17, 2012, 08:52:54 AM »
Agreed. Much of SDC's timeless charm is the feeling of each experience (ride, show, food or shopping) being tucked into the woods. I thoroughly enjoy TNT and PK because much of the surrounding trees were not disturbed with their construction. Still love WF, but it's definitely an open, exposed ride. I'm sure they were very handicapped with saving trees during its construction due to the terrain.

With this new coaster, I sincerely hope they utilize the terrain and character of location to the point that it winds up being the ride's greatest feature.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 17, 2012, 11:36:29 AM »
The crossing over the train tracks shouldn't be an issue with the right theming.

What I want to know is that are they going to relocate the robbery routine and the Grandpa's story bit during OTC. They could go in and plant some pines that are evergreen to help shield things from one another.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #357 on: March 17, 2012, 12:25:21 PM »
^They already have. They've been doing the robbery/story in a new location for years now. It won't be disturbed for a long time down there.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 17, 2012, 12:36:59 PM »
Ok, Didn't know whether this was going to effect that or not.

I'm never thrilled to see the maintenance area from the train. Maybe one day they can tie that area into the park with a new attraction and the current project  and Grand Expo and that where a new tressel/ crossing comes into play.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 18, 2012, 08:36:50 AM »
Wonder how long it will be before we start seeing bents going up on the footers already dotting the area. Really anxious to see some wood start showing up. Are we assuming this coaster will incorporate the RMC steel track topper?