Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 718238 times)

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #315 on: March 07, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »
I have been to DW, but the first time I was there, it rained all day, and the second time I was there, it was almost 100 degrees outside, so it was really hard to enjoy it. The only place at DW that really reminded me of SDC was Craftsman's Valley, and there was another section of the park called Jukebox Junction that reminded me of Celebration City. There were places at DW we didn't go to because of the weather. But whatever restaurant we went to the second time we visited DW, I felt like I was at SDC. I can't remember which restaurant it was.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #316 on: March 07, 2012, 12:05:55 PM »
^It is a different discussion and a topic for a different thread, but I will say that DW has more attendance, a better location, a celebrity and celebrity name attached, more generic and diverse themes, and more big rides. There are also a lot more industry names and enthusiasts that visit DW over SDC because of the location. Branson is kinda out in the middle of nowhere in terms of coming here from across the country.

However, with this new coaster a lot more of those types will be visiting SDC again, so things could change. I believe the last time SDC won a Golden Ticket was not long after Wildfire was installed when a few people finally ventured out here.

Also, the Golden Tickets are heavily biased and certain parks and rides are perennial favorites. Many of the voters have very limited experiences of parks like SDC.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #317 on: March 07, 2012, 01:03:13 PM »
^It is a different discussion and a topic for a different thread, but I will say that DW has more attendance, a better location, a celebrity and celebrity name attached, more generic and diverse themes, and more big rides. There are also a lot more industry names and enthusiasts that visit DW over SDC because of the location. Branson is kinda out in the middle of nowhere in terms of coming here from across the country.

And I am completely okay with that! Yes, it may sound selfish, but I love that Silver Dollar City is a our little secret hideout in the woods. Although word is spreading more, and more each year. As you mentioned, this new rollercoaster will no doubt rejuvenate interest back to Silver Dollar City. Almost everyone loves new coasters! :D

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 07, 2012, 03:43:04 PM »
Didn't mean to get us off topic. I was just curious. So, anyone hear we're getting a new coaster next year?  ;D

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 07, 2012, 07:55:51 PM »
Totally understand that, Shave. Just thought the multiple parallels were an interesting coincidence and there might be something there in terms of the inspiration behind our new coaster, based on work RMC has already been involved with in some capacity.

I know the concept descriptions don't give justice to detailing what the ultimate ride name and experience will actually be, but I wonder how the concept description for PK and WF read. It would be interesting to look back at that wording and see how well they describe the actual experiences we enjoy on both of those coasters today. 

Regardless, I would love to ultimately see a coaster that flirts with, or breaks that 200 ft. mark. On a somewhat separate note, in looking at the Top 25 ranking for wooden coasters last night, I thought it was very interesting to see that The Voyage (ranked #1 in the world) was built at a cost of just $6 million. Sure, that was six years ago, but I wouldn't have dreamed you could construct any type of coaster on that scale for under $10 million.

Here's the press release for Powder Keg:

(417) 338-8207/338-8210
SILVER DOLLAR CITY ADDS NEW
$10 MILLION, EXPLOSIVE-LAUNCH
ROLLER COASTER,
POWDER KEG
NEW RIDE FOR 2005 BLASTS RIDERS
FROM 0-53 MPH IN 2.8 SECONDS
(Branson, Mo. 11/04) Silver Dollar City’s newest attraction shoots riders into a
thrill zone within seconds of climbing aboard, launching riders from 0 to 53 miles per
hour in just 2.8 seconds. Powder Keg, a thrill ride unlike any other in the history of the
theme park, combines the shocking speed of the launch with spiraling turns, negative
gravitational or “G” forces, and “floater” hills for a truly wild ride experience, billed as a
“blast in the wilderness.”
A $10 million project, Powder Keg takes riders from the big blast of the compressed airlaunch
up a lift to a 110-foot drop, into spiraling and dragonfly banked turns, through a
wave of floater hills and into a bunny hop brake run. Negative G forces give riders the
experience of weightlessness as the cars soar through the trees at speeds up to 64 miles
per hour.
“Powder Keg takes family fun to the next level, with a breath-taking ride experience,
major special effects and theming that takes our guests back to the historic mining days
of our own Marvel Cave,” says Brad Thomas, Silver Dollar City General Manager.
Powder Keg is themed in the history of the miners who mined tons of nitrogen-rich bat
guano out of then-Marble Cave in the 1880s. The guano was taken by stagecoach and
Over…
Page 2 of 2
railroads to powder mills where it was made into black powder, valuable in the post-Civil
War era. The Powder Keg ride begins in a powder mill as the cars move onto the launch
area, amid jars of nitroglycerine that rock and tip. As the nitro “explodes,” the cars blast
out of the building and special effects of fire and smoke shoot through the roof of the
powder mill load station.
A trip on Powder Keg lasts nearly three minutes and spirals around six acres on 3,500
feet of track. The ride carries more than 1,000 people per hour with 16 passengers per
train. Powder Keg is designed and manufactured by the world’s leading manufacturer of
compressed-air rides, S & S Power of Logan, Utah. Silver Dollar City’s Corporate
Development team and the Maintenance & Construction Division are handling theming
and construction. It is scheduled to open in Spring 2005.
Silver Dollar City, an 1880s theme park located in Branson, Missouri, brings to life the
history and heritage of the Ozark region. The park offers rides, entertainment, signature
foods, and five world-class festivals during its operating season, April through December.
For tickets and information, call 1-800-831-4FUN, or visit the web site at
www.silverdollarcity.com. An animated ride on Powder Keg is available at the web site.
I'm Your Huckleberry

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #320 on: March 07, 2012, 10:14:35 PM »
^That was the actual press release of the actual, final ride, but here was the orginal concept from the survey that morphed into what is now PK:

Launched Coaster Ride - Exploding from the station at 50 mph the ride would twist and turn through the Ozark Mountains, including a 200 foot drop just after the launch. The coaster would end with a 70 foot plunge into a water filled splashdown pool. Hmmm... could they merge the new coaster with the Buzzsaw Falls’ splashdown pool?

It took me awhile to finally hunt this down. I wish I had done a better job over the years of keeping these concepts and their artwork together. They disappear off everyone's radar really quickly, but they give amazing insight into what the park is thinking about doing. We've seen them propose a wooden coaster, a shot tower, and a new mine ride several times now, along with several versions of an Adventure Mountain concept... I really need to get our lost concepts page updated with all the ones I've found recently.

Anyway, getting back to the PK concept pitch, it shows that they were originally looking at making it more of a thrill ride than what it ended up being. I think once S&S showed them their new restraint technology they realized they could push the envelope of a family coaster and really hit a home run with everybody, which is exactly what happened. It shows that the park was interested in having a 200ft drop though....

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 07, 2012, 10:34:58 PM »
Well, we have had our employee orientation meetings now and the excitement is riding high about the new project.  We have been given no details however.  We have been told that they will not be trying to hide, ala a privacy fence, what is going on and construction will be plainly evident to those who ride the train.  When people ask us what's going on, we've been asked to tell them truthfully that "Yes, there is something being built in the woods and you'll just have to wait with the rest of us for the "big" announcement at the end of the summer/beginning of fall for the details as to what exactly it is."  So, my advice to you all from this point on is to come out to the park often and watch as the development begins to take shape.  That ought to add plenty of fuel to your speculations.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 07, 2012, 11:26:08 PM »
Nice update Zephon! That should give the train conductor a new spiel. Look on your right, and what do you see? Trees! Look on your left, and what do you see? Trees.. Er uh construction! Why? Because we are building a rollercoaster in the woods!” ;D

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 08, 2012, 10:35:12 AM »
Agreed. Thanks, Z. So, is anyone going to opening day who might be willing to snag some pictures and post them right away for us?

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 08, 2012, 12:33:46 PM »
I’ve drafted Junior to challenge since he is supposed to be there opening week with a camera. :P

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 08, 2012, 03:55:25 PM »
I'll see what I can do! I'm curious, and I know everyone else here is, too!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 08, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »
I will be there Sat. Was going to be opening day but i got a new job that got in the way!
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 08, 2012, 11:09:26 PM »
New jobs can always get in the way if they help support a nice trip to the city! ;D

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 08, 2012, 11:33:09 PM »
Based on the earlier discussion regarding ride concept survey descriptions, I thought I would revisit what was proposed last year and is reportedly underway as we speak. It's very vague, and much less descriptive than the one which preceded PK's construction. IT does hint to some interesting thematic elements and a tunnel though. Then again, the PK description hinted to a 200ft. drop, which never saw the light of day, and we still wound up with an absolutely fantastic coaster.

"The Bull" Wooden Coaster: As you board the great wooden coaster, the blazing scarlet ride vehicle, with its glowing red eyes and serious-looking horns rumbles in the load station and looks as powerful as its flesh and blood counterpart. Moments later you are hanging on for dear life as “the Bull” roars out on the wooden track snorting steam as it tops the lift and sends you screaming through the farm-scape, entering and exiting through a pair of bull-shaped holes previously punched out by you-know-who.

Thoughts anyone?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:36:14 PM by BackInTime9 »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 09, 2012, 06:26:24 AM »
Mooooooooo!  ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"