Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 722135 times)

djs263875

• View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #300 on: March 02, 2012, 09:24:45 PM »
Could our new coaster be seen in this video from RMC's 2010 IAAPA demo video? Toward the end of the video is a simulation that looks like it could be a good fit for the area we are looking at.

http://www.rockymtnconstruction.com/rmcdemo.html

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:26:05 PM by djs263875 »

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 02, 2012, 10:05:54 PM »
Will we see something like El Toro that Rocky Mountain Coasters built at Six Flags Adventure in Jackson, New Jersey. It might fit the theming of Wilson's Barn fairly easily.
http://rcdb.com/3183.htm?p=38089
Colorado SDC Fan

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #302 on: March 02, 2012, 10:24:14 PM »
Nobody has a clue.

Nobody?

Also are we allowed to say "I told you so" yet to the ones that were all gloom and doom saying there would be no construction this off season. Myself and I think Zephon tried to tell you there would be.

I'll leave you with this, if you know where to look you can more info on the project, mind you, you'd have to know what you were looking at to get anything out of it.  I don't want to ruin the speculation game for most of you so I'll leave it that for now, but it is on tthe web.

For the love of god, please don't turn into "that guy" again.  ::)

Getting back to the thread at hand, that's a good find djs263875. That model was designed on flat ground, so we know it's not the ride being built at SDC, but it is a very good indication of their style. Big drops, airtime hills and awesome turns by the looks of it.

El Toro was designed by Intamin and uses a different type of track and train system, but I feel like they took inspiration from it with their designs.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 02, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
It could be wishful thinking, or reading between the lines, but I think there could be something legit to the El Toro idea. Yes, it was designed by Intamin, but if you go to Rocky Mountain Coasters' website, it is also listed in their portfolio of coaster work, which by the way doesn't seem to feature anything but large coasters (of the woodie variety anyway). Also did a little digging and learned it cost around $12 million to construct in 2006 (same speculated budget for the new SDC coaster). And am I the only one intrigued by the fact that the woodie included during the last ride concept survey was called the "The Bull?" Hello, El Toro means "The Bull" in Spanish. And it was ranked the #3 wooden coaster in the world for the 2011 Golden Ticket Awards. Of course I'm not suggesting they're going to replicate the same coaster, but perhaps that very ride was/is the inspiration for what we'll see at SDC a little more than a year from now. If it's anything in the neighborhood of El Toro, SDC is in line for something very special.

El Toro – Six Flags Great Adventure

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:24:20 PM by BackInTime9 »

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #304 on: March 02, 2012, 11:19:08 PM »
And am I the only one intrigued by the fact that the woodie included during the last ride concept survey was called the "The Bull?" Hello, El Toro means "The Bull" in Spanish.

Very interesting catch! :)

At first, I was a bit upset that they were putting a rollercoaster in so close to the train tracks. I felt it would ruin the scenic, and peaceful train ride. However, considering that it will be a wooden coaster, I think it will match the area quite well. Who knows, maybe there well be some type of interaction the coaster will have with the train (example, the train tracks going underneath the coaster).

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 02, 2012, 11:39:06 PM »
Agreed. And honestly, I think they will keep the majority of the coaster well away from the tracks so as not to compromise that experience. Especially in light of how much people enjoy the robbery and Grandpa's story at Christmas. As you can see in the overhead, there is quite a bit of land between the outermost loop of the tracks and the service road that runs next to the mule barn. I would think that would offer more than enough space to place and out and back coaster that could run in almost total seclusion, with the exception of the loading station area.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:40:39 PM by BackInTime9 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #306 on: March 03, 2012, 12:03:46 AM »
I think you guys are getting hung up on the names too much. The manufacturer doesn't choose the name of the ride, and the themes are chosen for entirely different reasons. "The Bull" may or may not even be close to the theme/name of this coaster.

There is something to be said for having a large non-inverting ride. A lot of the big new coasters these days are hypers/giga coasters rather than looping coasters. Like I said before, it would give them diversity and greater thrill appeal to have a non-inverting coaster in the 200ft range.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 03, 2012, 07:37:45 AM »
Totally understand that, Shave. Just thought the multiple parallels were an interesting coincidence and there might be something there in terms of the inspiration behind our new coaster, based on work RMC has already been involved with in some capacity.

I know the concept descriptions don't give justice to detailing what the ultimate ride name and experience will actually be, but I wonder how the concept description for PK and WF read. It would be interesting to look back at that wording and see how well they describe the actual experiences we enjoy on both of those coasters today. 

Regardless, I would love to ultimately see a coaster that flirts with, or breaks that 200 ft. mark. On a somewhat separate note, in looking at the Top 25 ranking for wooden coasters last night, I thought it was very interesting to see that The Voyage (ranked #1 in the world) was built at a cost of just $6 million. Sure, that was six years ago, but I wouldn't have dreamed you could construct any type of coaster on that scale for under $10 million.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #308 on: March 03, 2012, 09:47:14 PM »
It is not going to be a record breaker. It is not going to be El Toro.

And whatever Shave.
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 03, 2012, 10:38:21 PM »
I don't believe anyone on here ever said or speculated it would be either.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 06, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »
Anyone have any other nuggets they can provide, or do we all have to sweat it out for another nine days before we get/see a new update? Sure, we have a long way to go, but I love seeing new attractions come together, even if only at a snails pace.

Even if this winds up not being a woodie on a grand scale, I'm still confident it can and will be something special. Consider a coaster like American Thunder at SFSTL. It's true David in terms of size, but certainly doesn't disappoint when it comes to the ride. It's still a Top 25 coaster. Between HFEC's reputation for "doing in right" and RMC wanting to flex their proverbial muscle, it should be a win-win.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #311 on: March 06, 2012, 10:12:21 PM »
We'll probably have to wait it out for another week. There's probably stuff going on at the site, but it's not like a vast amount will change in a week.

I absolutely won't be disappointed in a smaller coaster either. That was my original assumption with this project anyway when I thought GCII would be doing it. It excites me that there's a possibility of a huge steep drop, but even if it is a family coaster it will be a fantastic addition to this park. Again, most of the best wooden coasters in the world are smaller in size. I'm also excited to see how the SDC team will "do it right" again as well. After the last few unique and innovative theming projects, I'm almost as excited to see how they'll theme this thing as I am about the ride itself. Really all of the major new ride projects of the last decade besides GE have been very creative and have turned out really well. GE I could give or take for obvious reasons, but they did what they had to do.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 06, 2012, 10:17:59 PM »
HFEC's reputation for "doing in right" and RMC wanting to flex their proverbial muscle, it should be a win-win.
I have faith in SDC to put out a great ride. Wildcat was a fun coaster, it isn't huge, but it packed a wallop.
If it turns out to be a little lackluster SDC will do something about it, reminiscent of Buzz Saw falls.......not so great rides can be fixed!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #313 on: March 06, 2012, 11:14:24 PM »
Smaller coasters that pack a punch are still really great rides. Besides, it would increase ride capacity per hour which means less wait times. I also agree that Silver Dollar City stands behind their projects, and will do whatever it takes to make them right. That's what makes Silver Dollar City not just "another Six Flags."

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 07, 2012, 09:16:20 AM »
I agree. It's probably a topic for another thread, or its already been hashed and re-hashed here a thousand times, but in looking over the Golden Ticket Awards from 2011 last night, I was surprised to see how many times Dollywood was mentioned. They'll actually be hosting this year's awards.

Given the thematic parallels and the fact that they are also an HFEC park, I'm just curious beyond a few more rides, what really separates DW from SDC. Obviously, I have not visited DW so it's not fair for me to pass judgement. Any of you visited both and have any thoughts?

DW in the 2011 Golden Ticket Awards:
Best Park – #4
Friendliest Park – #2
Cleanest Park – #3
Best Shows – #1
Best Food – #3
Best Landscaping – #4
Best Christmas Event – #1