Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 722711 times)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2012, 11:13:47 PM »
Shave, those pier forms are made of steel and in two halves bolted together.  They start with rebar formed in that general shape that goes inside them, and then they fill them with concrete. When the concrete sets, they unbolt and separate the forms and are left with a pier that has a base about 4' in diameter and a column of about 18" dia. by 4' tall. They've already made a lot of those piers but I don't know where they're taking them, or if they're setting them in positions yet.  If they are, it's not visible from my stomping grounds.

In the second picture, they're not really getting close to Hobo Jct, at least not yet.  What you see through the trees in the middle background is the mule barn.  The work you see here is really the only active construction that can be seen in the areas that I walk by.  If they're doing more down in the trees and valleys, it's out of sight. 

"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 27, 2012, 12:07:26 AM »
Thanks for the pics Zephon! The foundation in the second picture must be the Station am i right?
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2012, 07:19:10 AM »
Thanks Zephon for the updated info and the pics.  We really do appreciate it.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 27, 2012, 07:29:48 AM »
That second picture, the form or station or what have you is REALLY close the the RR tracks. Or is that a trick of the angle of the picture?? Thanks for the pictures!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 27, 2012, 07:58:24 AM »
The 2nd picture sure looks like foundation for something?
I wouldn't think they would have people walk clear back there for the station? would they?
If so they will have to build a people "bridge" to get over the tracks.

BUT no doubt that foundation is an important part to the project, m aybe it is where the "drive" system of the coaster will be.?

Speculation.....aint it great!

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 27, 2012, 09:27:02 AM »
Thank you, Zephon. Really appreciate the update. Just enough of a tease to get us up to opening day.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #261 on: February 27, 2012, 10:12:22 AM »
The 2nd picture sure looks like foundation for something?
I wouldn't think they would have people walk clear back there for the station? would they?
If so they will have to build a people "bridge" to get over the tracks.

BUT no doubt that foundation is an important part to the project, m aybe it is where the "drive" system of the coaster will be.?

Speculation.....aint it great!

It's not that far back there, and a fairly long queue has to lead up to it, so it's got to be a little ways back there. It's definitely the station though, the station track will probably run through that gap. You won't need to go over a bridge to get there because it is between the tracks where the robber's shack was.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2012, 01:35:57 PM »
Zephon...you're the man...thanks for the updated pictures...looks like work is progressing nicely...very exciting...
Colorado SDC Fan

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2012, 01:36:28 PM »
Took a stab at updating the overhead shot of the area, based on the orientation of the station (parallel to the tracks) and where we already know other activity has or is taking place. Any thoughts?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2012, 01:59:02 PM »
^One thought that occurred to me after looking at that was that they might orient the lift hill towards the maintenance area rather than towards the Mule Barn like I had thought before. There's more room for the break-run/transfer shed between the tracks. Plus, they can easily drop into the deepest part of the valley from that angle without disturbing the Mule Barn area. I could see the track going down through the valley and then coming back up and around the other side of the hill that the mule barn is on.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2012, 02:42:36 PM »

It's not that far back there, and a fairly long queue has to lead up to it, so it's got to be a little ways back there. It's definitely the station though, the station track will probably run through that gap. You won't need to go over a bridge to get there because it is between the tracks where the robber's shack was.
[/quote]

I must be disorientated or something, IF the robber shack is the new station, It is mounted between the 2 sets of tracks. So i dont see how you will access the station without a bridge..

When you are going past FITH the track goes left, and the robbers shack is on the left over the hill, then after you make the circle, the shack was on your right as you head back past the train repair building and Lake silver..??

Sorry doesnt make sense today for some reason.. lol.  i even looked at the google map, still didnt make sense..

Maybe i can get back there in 3 weeks and it will make sense then.,..???  LOL

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2012, 03:18:31 PM »
I made a really quick and terrible paint job to demonstrate where the station is in relation to the train tracks and the general area where the coaster's track could go. http://i.imgur.com/CbIJc.jpg

As you can see, you can get to the robbers shack area by going through the gate behind the Hi-lo Silos. The whole TGS/Robbers shack area is inbetween the train tracks already. The robber's shack should have been on your right both times you passed it on the train.

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 27, 2012, 04:42:29 PM »
I just want to say that is one great drawing Shave! Although it is some awesome graphics it does explain the track layout well :)
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2012, 05:43:49 PM »
ok shave, thanks.....  I got it now... ;D

after seeing your drawing i went back and zoomed in on google maps,
I see now by going past the swings and silo you can easily reach the new area.

sometimes I am just a "visual" learner.. ::) ::) ::)

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2012, 06:18:47 PM »
Thanks for the awesome updates.  This is going to be so cool!!!