Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 718130 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #210 on: January 29, 2012, 11:21:18 AM »
Although I dont know all the coasters by name and reputation as some of our members do, I think whatever they build this time will be Massive.

The city is past due for a major attractions, as we all know.

i dont think that RB was the "draw" they were hoping for..

Soooo......  Here is their chance.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #211 on: January 29, 2012, 12:38:09 PM »
I forgot to post this, here's the concept pitch they put out last May: 

"The Bull" Wooden Coaster: As you board the great wooden coaster, the blazing scarlet ride vehicle, with its glowing red eyes and serious-looking horns rumbles in the load station and looks as powerful as its flesh and blood counterpart. Moments later you are hanging on for dear life as “the Bull” roars out on the wooden track snorting steam as it tops the lift and sends you screaming through the farm-scape, entering and exiting through a pair of bull-shaped holes previously punched out by you-know-who.

We do know that this ride will be part of Wilson's Farm, but the name and details presented here might still be working ideas. However, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they end up being carried out. The image presented with this pitch was simply one of Thunderhead at Dollywood. While the concept might sounds like it's a high-thrill coaster, it's mostly marketing-speak, similar to how they described both Thunderhead and OzCat.

It's not going to be a very big coaster, certainly not a record breaker and probably won't have all that much in the way of unique elements outside of a few potential cool curves and hills. It all comes down to how much they are going to spend, and it sounds like it will only be a few million if that article was accurate about the prices at all. If $12 million dollars is being spent in total on this project and the rebuilding of the Rattler, then they simply can't be spending much on this. The Rattler is apparently being completely rebuilt with I-Box style track similar to the Texas Giant rebuild. I would imagine that would cost at least $8-10 million conservatively. That would mean $4 million or less is being spent on our project. Granted, OzCat was built with $4 million, but lumber was cheaper, the land was flat and clear, labor was cheaper, and it didn't use steel covered track.

That's why I'm so adamant in hoping that the article was slightly mistaken or was worded so that I and others who read it misunderstood. $12 million for both means we'll be getting a small "family-sized" wood coaster, but $12 million for each would get us something AWESOME. For $12 million with a wood coaster, we could get the longest coaster in the park. It could be the first major coaster in the chain with an MCBR. I still don't think it would be a high-thrill coaster based on the crowd SDC is catering to, but it would be along the lines of Powderkeg and ThuNderaTion at least.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2012, 08:14:04 PM »
As far as HFEC parks go, I think we all agree that SDC is the diamond in the rough. It certainly doesn't get the funding and notoriety other parks do. And maybe HFEC is totally content keeping it that way. However, if they're looking for a bump in sales, they desperately need an addition that "puts them on the map" so to speak. This could be that opportunity. Obviously any coaster addition will be a welcome one and probably enjoyed by many, but a major, possibly epic layout could mean scores of people from all around the country and the world having a specific reason to visit SDC.

Of course I'm biased, but I think it will be a monumental shame and a poor decision if the powers that be elect to go small with this ride. I have no doubts the theme work will be outstanding, but SDC is due for a ride that re-defines its entire existence.

Go big, or dump millions in overhauling some other rides that could use the help.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:15:13 PM by BackInTime9 »

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2012, 10:00:26 PM »
As far as HFEC parks go, I think we all agree that SDC is the diamond in the rough. It certainly doesn't get the funding and notoriety other parks do. And maybe HFEC is totally content keeping it that way. However, if they're looking for a bump in sales, they desperately need an addition that "puts them on the map" so to speak. This could be that opportunity. Obviously any coaster addition will be a welcome one and probably enjoyed by many, but a major, possibly epic layout could mean scores of people from all around the country and the world having a specific reason to visit SDC.

Of course I'm biased, but I think it will be a monumental shame and a poor decision if the powers that be elect to go small with this ride. I have no doubts the theme work will be outstanding, but SDC is due for a ride that re-defines its entire existence.

Go big, or dump millions in overhauling some other rides that could use the help.

I just hope the PTB are listening to us on the website and give us something unique and big. If you're going to do something, please do it right.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:01:37 PM by joshblakebran »
Colorado SDC Fan

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2012, 11:53:36 PM »
I don't necessarily think it would be a terrible decision for the park to go with a smaller coaster, though I am also rooting for something big. Prowler and Thunderhead were ranked as the #11 and #12 wood coasters in the world in Mitch Hawker's poll (the most popular and respected coaster poll for major coaster enthusiasts). Also, a big, record breaking, epic coaster might bring in crowds, but who would make up those crowds? SDC does well for themselves to focus on families. Teens and thrill seekers often do not appreciate the finer aspects of this park, do not spend money in-park, and tend not to mix as well with other visitors. As much as I love the big coasters, crowd targeting is always something to think about with a park like this. They really started screwing with the dynamics of the park when they added Wildfire... but that's an old discussion.

Anyway, I've been thinking and writing about this entirely too much lately, but here are some (hopefully) final thoughts of mine on the size of the project and investment. The newspaper must have worded it wrong, and $12 million is being spent on both projects. That's got to be it. There's no way SF Fiesta Texas is spending less than $10 million if they're doing a full I-Box rebuild of the Rattler, and there's no way SDC is spending less than $6 million at least on this coaster, conservatively. $12 million is a fair amount for a good sized wooden coaster, considering Prowler at WOF cost $8 million and this will use more steel and be built on tougher terrain. So it should be a good sized coaster, maybe a little larger than Prowler and Thunderhead, which again are currently just outside the top ten best wooden coasters in the world out of hundreds, and they both debuted IN the top ten.

IASTClone

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2012, 04:16:13 PM »
Take it for what it is worth, but I was told about this project by a SDC employee a little over a month ago.  He made it sound as if this WILL NOT be any small coaster, nor will it be tame and for everyone.  Mentioned the possibilty of a record setting drop angle.

Like I said, take it for what it is worth.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2012, 06:49:25 AM »
I think SDC could do an extreme coaster and get away with it just fine. The difference in SDC and any Six Flags park is location. All SF parks are close to large metro areas which can lead to the teens taking over, but the location of SDC will keep that from happening. Holiday World and Dollywood are great examples of parks that have gone with some aggressive rides and have maintained a family atmosphere.

If it is a RMC coaster (which evidence strongly points that way) I would expect you will see some innovation beyond just the track system. RMC will be wanting to set themselves apart from the other coaster designers and I think will use the SDC coaster to do that.

Jay
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:50:22 AM by cowboy »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2012, 08:22:41 AM »
I think SDC could do an extreme coaster and get away with it just fine. The difference in SDC and any Six Flags park is location. All SF parks are close to large metro areas which can lead to the teens taking over, but the location of SDC will keep that from happening. Holiday World and Dollywood are great examples of parks that have gone with some aggressive rides and have maintained a family atmosphere.

If it is a RMC coaster (which evidence strongly points that way) I would expect you will see some innovation beyond just the track system. RMC will be wanting to set themselves apart from the other coaster designers and I think will use the SDC coaster to do that.

Jay.

It may not be close to a major metro area but it can benefit from growth that's stilltaking place just to it's southwest. We considered it a nice day trip here in Fayetteville.

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2012, 06:43:31 PM »
I live in springfield and can be on park in 45 min and there are lots of teens that live here.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2012, 11:33:23 PM »
Take it for what it is worth, but I was told about this project by a SDC employee a little over a month ago.  He made it sound as if this WILL NOT be any small coaster, nor will it be tame and for everyone.  Mentioned the possibilty of a record setting drop angle.

Like I said, take it for what it is worth.

This is good to hear, SDC employees are pretty good for details like this when they line up with everything else we know. It would not be out of the question for them to have the steepest drop of a wooden coaster considering that this ride will debut new trains and run on steel. That would be insane though, seeing as the current record holder is T-Express with a 77-degree drop angle. On a wood coaster that looks just about vertical (photos here: http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=405&linkid=3620).

If it does have that kind of a drop angle, it would need a considerable height of drop to pull it off, like 150 - 200ft. Not impossible considering the terrain they're working with. That would be a big coaster - Texas Giant size.

Trying not to get my hopes too high yet though...

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 01, 2012, 06:42:41 AM »
heck, i'll take anything they'll give us. ;)
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 01, 2012, 09:12:47 AM »
LOL..I am hoping it is massive for all you riders, because as I have stated before I dont do the big coasted. :o :o

But I know your all past due!!

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 02, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »
Zephon, any updates or more recent on park pic you might be able to share?  ;D

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 02, 2012, 10:18:01 PM »
I just got the saddest news of my life. I am probably going to have to get a pacemaker so i probably wont ever get to ride the new coaster what ever it turns out to be :(
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 03, 2012, 12:00:11 AM »
Let's hope that's not so!  A friend of mine got one awhile back & is able to ride, now.  I rode PK 3 years ago & had a heart attack the following morning, flat lined & ended up with a 2 & half inch stint.  Once the medications evened out, the Dr gave me the ok, 10 months later, to ride.  I told him it'd kill me, if I couldn't!   ;D
RIP Chippewa Lake Park