Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 717889 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2012, 03:39:24 PM »
SDC should also consider looking into a "People Mover" type ride, like Haunted Mansion, Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Spaceship Earth, and the new Little Mermaid. A continuously moving ride with dark ride elements that "eats" people like crazy. It'd be ADA compliant and people of all ages could ride it 'cause it isn't a thrill ride.

I agree entirely, I've been trying to say the same thing for ages. As we all know, SDC used to copy Disney's rides to a certain degree, what with the Flooded Mine float through, the indoor coaster, the float trip, the various incarnations of tree houses and play forts, a run-away mine train, etc... Where did that go? I feel like they started lowering their standards after 2001 and started allowing themselves to just stay a step ahead of Six Flags instead of one step behind Disney.

To be fair though, it does take a massive amount of effort to build custom attractions at a certain level, and it's only gotten harder as SDC gets bigger and standards keep rising. Disney has a huge engineering team and a ton of turn-around time to get a project from conception to completion. This is actually pretty rare that we get to watch a project get built over a season, it only happens when there is a major delay.

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2012, 11:41:39 AM »
Shave I know of a couple of good candidates for SDCs new engineering team!
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2012, 12:16:52 AM »
Maybe this ride will go under Lake Silver like Albert wanted.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2012, 12:54:57 AM »
Maybe this ride will go under Lake Silver like Albert wanted.

That would be really cool! An underwater roller coaster!

(For everyone who doesn't know, Albert was on Undercover Boss)
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 19, 2012, 07:51:38 AM »
See, And i have wondered all along if they might do something like that when they took WB out.. As i remember joel was very impressed with the basic design.. 

How cool would that be??!!!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 19, 2012, 08:13:37 AM »
Hey, if they built this underwater roller coaster at Lake Silver, they would have to run it through a tunnel...if they themed it to look like a cave, they could put the "wreckage" of a diving bell down there, and maybe some barrels and gunny sacks containing Grandpappy Dugan's lost treasure of silver! Hey, what about some special effects so you could see Grandpappy...and maybe Rube's...ghost, or Eli Tolts' wrecked submergible? Ah, the possibilities.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 19, 2012, 08:18:32 AM »
Part of that tunnel under Lake Silver could be plexiglass or glassed, and the roller coaster could run through it...kind of like those big walk through aquariums where you go through the glassed in tunnel and have fish surrounding you.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 19, 2012, 08:48:07 AM »
THAT, sir, ...would be more awesome than breakfast at Molly's.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2012, 02:15:41 PM »
That would be the coolest thing ever! And it would give me a good reason to look up all the fun little details about the Diving Bell, you know, so I get what all the themeing is about.
Right now I would look like some crazy SDC obsessed person, even though that ship has kinda sailed...  :P

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #174 on: January 20, 2012, 05:14:39 PM »
That would be the coolest thing ever! And it would give me a good reason to look up all the fun little details about the Diving Bell, you know, so I get what all the themeing is about.
Right now I would look like some crazy SDC obsessed person, even though that ship has kinda sailed...  :P

That ship is pretty full  ;D
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

sawblade5

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2012, 12:11:44 AM »
For some reason I love the idea of having the Coaster Go Underwater into Lake Silver and having it themed to Rube Dugan would be quite awesome!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2012, 10:46:16 AM »
What an honor that would be. To have a ride/attraction built after you own idea.

In fact (albert), he should be just about out of school by now, and could/would be able to help in the design..

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2012, 11:52:32 PM »
Here it is folks: confirmation at last! http://sdcfans.com/news/140

Rocky Mountain Coasters will be constructing this coaster from the ground up. Total cost of this plus the refurbishment of Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas: $12 Million. It may include an inversion, a new type of train design, and some wild airtime and sharp drops!

My excitement for this project just went through the roof. This could end up being a top ten coaster, though the budget isn't huge. I'm hoping they're keeping it low by staying close to the ground in most spots and using less materials.  ;)

Edit: by the way, I purchased the article and will share it with anyone in private if you wish, just send me a PM. I would not advise posting it publicly since it is more stringently protected by copyright than most news articles due to the paywall.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:56:07 PM by shavethewhales »

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2012, 12:02:32 AM »
I'm starting to get really excited about this! Oh, the anticipation....  ;)

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2012, 12:25:55 AM »
Well now we know.  The new Texas Giant looks like fun on YouTube so this ought to be exciting too.  Congratulations to SDC and HFE and good luck with the construction and opening.  See ya in '13. :)