Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 722025 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2012, 01:31:26 AM »
Zephon,

Really appreciate you taking the time to grab some shots and share them with all of us. Really looking forward to seeing how this whole thing continues taking shape. If this is in fact going to be the woodie so many of us have been wanting for such a long time, I sure hope they plan on going big. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2012, 05:40:40 AM »
Thanks zephon! we appreciate you being our "eyes" for next couple of months.

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2012, 08:20:30 AM »
The Pictures are Great! As far as building on fill dirt that is possible. There are places in the ocean where they make complete new islands out of fill. If they can do that sdc can build on anything they got.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2012, 08:42:02 AM »
Fill dirt is not big thing as long as it is properly compacted when put into place.
I backfill for buildings sites and against foundations all the time,
These contractor's know what they are doing!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2012, 10:42:42 AM »
Thanks indeed! As far as building on fill, as far as we know that might end up being the que area since we have no idea what's really going on. That leads me to another question for any current/past citizens. How does management handle covering employees on new attractions such as this? I'm assuming they don't just tell everyone what's going on and then swear them to secrecy. On the other hand, there have to be blueprints somewhere and I would think maintenance or someone else currently on park would have some idea what's going on. I'm not trying to pry more information out of anyone but I am curious how with so many people working on park during construction (especially if it's going to continue for an entire season) this can keep from being leaked out.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2012, 07:43:40 PM »
When the American Plunge, Tom Sawyer's Landing, Echo Hollow, Courthouse Theater, and other attractions from my era at SDC were built, there was not as much hoopla and as many secrets as there are now. If you look way back on my early photos on Flickr, you will see the sign they put in front of the Jim Owens Float Trip in fall of 1980 to announce the AP. I personally don't remember any pomp and circumstance for the landing or the Courthouse Theater, very little about Echo Hollow. The announcements were made in the company news letter. There usually was not any big public awareness stuff put out until just prior to the season opening in spring. A handful of winter construction people were brought in from the folks who worked on the park in summer. Of course, the park has it's own maintenance and construction team in place year round. They fabricated parts in their own shops then, too. But with time, I'm sure much has changed. A current citizen will have to chime in on this further.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2012, 01:43:49 AM »
Thanks indeed! As far as building on fill, as far as we know that might end up being the que area since we have no idea what's really going on. That leads me to another question for any current/past citizens. How does management handle covering employees on new attractions such as this? I'm assuming they don't just tell everyone what's going on and then swear them to secrecy. On the other hand, there have to be blueprints somewhere and I would think maintenance or someone else currently on park would have some idea what's going on. I'm not trying to pry more information out of anyone but I am curious how with so many people working on park during construction (especially if it's going to continue for an entire season) this can keep from being leaked out.

I doubt they go to all that much effort to conceal what's going on. Nearly every employee on park last season seemed to know that a roller coaster is coming judging by the things a number of personnel told the people on this board when asked. I don't think SDC has ever tried to keep a project "secret" to any major degree, they probably just don't want the public to hear about more than what the park is ready to reveal at a given time. An awful lot of projects over the years have been changed, delayed, or otherwise modified over their development, and of course if the public were to know everything too soon it might cause problems and disappointment when things get delayed or changed.

Most of the general public isn't really affected by the "leaks" that come from sites like this. If you've found this site, you're probably among an elite .001% of SDC's audience that actually cares enough about the park to see what's coming in the future. For us, it's good to keep a buzz going so we have reasons to keep visiting obsessively.  ;) We just have to keep our hopes and speculation grounded in reality so we don't lead any potential visitors astray. For all we know, this could be the new home of the dippin dots stand.

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2012, 09:33:15 AM »
It's the SDC World of Sports and temporary tattoo parlor complex for fulfilling all your basketball shooting and temporary tattoo desires.  Also a Justin Bieber/Selena Gomez themed karaoke/video making studio.  Dipping Dots not included but available for a modest upcharge fee.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2012, 04:38:35 PM »
Hey Injun!, dont forget the little building outback where they will paint the T-shirts ;)

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2012, 09:03:05 PM »
Shhhh....don't want to give it all away. ;D

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2012, 10:33:38 AM »
Although I highly doubt this will actually happen in this location of the park, but I am still hoping to see a return of Rube Duggan's Diving Bell. Behind Lake Silver or in the location of the old Watertaboggon would be a more ideal location of course.

I also have always been a fan of the "Icehouse" concept; dark rides in general have always been a favorite of mine.

There has been some speculation over whether this is going to be a wooden roller coaster or not, but also there has been some speculation about a Mystery Mine.

Guess we'll see, dirt moving is always a sign of progress. Lets just not rip anything else out, ok SDC?!  :P

You have a great past just ahead of you.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2012, 11:52:57 AM »
After riding the newly refurbished Star Tours 8 times (yes, you read that right), I can honestly say I would LOVE to see SDC build a similar ride themed to Rube Dugan's Diving Bell.

In terms of "eating" people, Star Tours has six simulators that hold 40 people each; there's a reason we were able to do the ride 8 times... The wait was always less than 10 minutes. And the 3D was AMAZING; so crystal clear and the glasses fit perfectly over my prescription glasses.

I can just imagine a Diving Bell simulator ride with similar technology, and I think it'd be a huge hit, especially if they programmed it the way the new Star Tours is programmed, where there are a few different options for the beginning, end, and locations visited, randomized by a computer so that you never know what combination you're going to get when you ride, which increases rideability. That's why we rode Star Tours so many times, 'cause we were trying to get all the possible choices, and even after 8 times, I never did get to go to Naboo.

So... yeah. I think a Diving Bell simulator ride would be amazing.

SDC should also consider looking into a "People Mover" type ride, like Haunted Mansion, Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Spaceship Earth, and the new Little Mermaid. A continuously moving ride with dark ride elements that "eats" people like crazy. It'd be ADA compliant and people of all ages could ride it 'cause it isn't a thrill ride.

The problems SDC has is both in available land space and money. It costs a lot to have a ride as awesome as any ride in Disney; but I'm sure there are ride makers out there who'd jump at the chance to make a Disney-like ride for a smaller amount just to show that they can pull off the same kind of technology as Disney can. Land space-wise, well, SDC is so TINY at the moment when compared to other parks (which just amazes me all the more that they can pack so many rides and so much amazing theming into such a small amount of space), and it is located on such an enormously hilly terrain. I imagine the reason roller coasters have been such a big thing at SDC is because they're the best kind of ride for that kind of terrain. I mean, SDC had to use a parking lot for the Grand Exposition, 'cause where else would they have been able to put something flat like that?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2012, 12:32:57 PM »
sounds like fun, and you may have something for the PTB to think about..thanks

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »
If they ever did bring back the diving bell, and I hope they do, too, I'd just like to see them "tip their hat" to the folks originally associated with the attraction on park from 1977-1984. They could do this by displaying tintypes of the old crew members, and by listing names say on a "roster of volunteers" posted at the attraction. I would also be interested, as I'm sure a few of the other former "Juniors" would too, in taking part in the development of the ride, and if it featured in some way additional characters, I'd be interested in doing the voiceover work for some of that. In fact, if they wanted to get as many of the guys together for some sort of reunion to launch the ride, I'd be interested in that, too. I can honestly say my seven years at the park were some of the happiest I've ever had. Back then, it was the perfect place for a young fellow like me to work...during my latter high school and early college years. It was fun, the money was fair, and the friendships and related fun we all had hanging out together off park were fantastic.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2012, 03:18:57 PM »
Those are amazing ideas, Junior!