Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 722594 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2012, 10:57:23 AM »
Thank you Injun Joe and Zephon for obliging my request to see an overhead of the area in question. I too, am very interested to see in which direction any development may continue. Not sure if there is ample room in the forested area between the  structure marked "Mule barn" and TGS, but it would be very cool if a possible new coaster attraction anchored an expanded Wilson's Farm area with potential for additional shops, craftsmen concessions, etc. Having said that, a coaster called "The Bull" seems like it would be a seamless fit in Wilson's Farm, from a thematic standpoint.  

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2012, 11:04:24 AM »
Oh yeah, here's a video of various POVs on one of Rocky Mountain's coasters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtbCi6xts7s

Now THAT is what I'm talkin' about. You get the aesthetics and uber-airtime of a classic wooden coaster, but the smooth ride of a steel coaster. I think I am now going to be crossing my fingers that Rocky Mountain's 2013 project is for SDC.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2012, 11:04:44 AM »
I also rode American Thunder just last summer. It opened in 2008. I don't have dozen's of other wooden coasters to compare it to, but I can tell you that I personally found it to be a great ride, considering it's conservative footprint. It offers plenty of airtime, speeds of almost 50mph, and the track crosses over or under itself 17 times. If SDC were to add something similar, with a more expansive layout that also offered larger drops and more speed, it could be a game- changing grand slam. But that's a big if.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2012, 11:24:49 AM »
Anyone care to speculate how much HFEC may be investing in this project?

Thunderation – $7,000,000 (1993)
Wildfire – $14,000,000 (2001)
Thunderhead – $7,000,000 (2004)
Powder Keg – $??? (2005)
Mystery Mine – $17,500,000 (2007)

If there really is a major coaster project in the works, I personally hope it's SDC's most ambitious project to date. It can only help the park's cause.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:27:08 AM by BackInTime9 »

IASTClone

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »
From what I have heard, the hope of a steel with the wooden feel is the plan.  Have also heard that it will have a significant first drop.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2012, 01:06:15 PM »
First, I'd like to commend the few of us on here that were at the Coaster Christmas & didn't rush on hear to leak the info!  Out of respect to TPB, I swore I wouldn't leak any info "publicly", until physical construction began ;)  2nd, sigh, had I known the original Robber's Shack was not going to be saved/re-used, I would've begged them to let me move it to our land on the bluffs at Forsyth!
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2012, 01:13:20 PM »
Is there any chance the woodie from CC could be refitted and rethemed for this project?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2012, 01:19:24 PM »
I don't know it sits on such a flat piece of land now that by the time you moved it and retrofit it you might as of just built a new one.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2012, 01:25:03 PM »
BackinTime, Powderkeg cost 10 million I believe, and don't forget the 22 million they're spending on Wild Eagle this year.

If it's a GCII woodie I wouldn't expect a huge figure though. 8 million will buy you a sweet GCII, OzCat only cost 4!

Junior: no way. We've talked before about how expensive it is to move these wooden coasters versus just building a new one, plus they'd have to make a HUGE flat space to put it. I feel like we're going to be dispelling this rumor over and over again in the coming year. ;)

Interesting that Rocky Mountain was brought up. I'd be cautiously optimistic if they were indeed behind this. The new Texas Giant has turned out marvelously, but they don't really have as much experience yet for me to really trust them. Their involvement would probably turn this into much more of a thrill coaster though, since they seem to use sharper lift hills and taller, steeper drops than GCII ever would.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2012, 04:52:53 PM »
From what I have heard, the hope of a steel with the wooden feel is the plan.  Have also heard that it will have a significant first drop.

That would fit the description of Rocky Mountain's work; their Texas Giant is supposed to have an incredibly steep first drop, and it's got the "steel with the wooden feel" thing.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2012, 05:05:08 PM »
Service roads will remain, although some may be re-routed a bit.  No traffic will be allowed on them though during park operating hours.  In the past, on these particular service roads, traffic has been allowed while the park was open.

Along with the old robber's shack being demolished, they have now cleared most of the trees off of that hill it sat on.  I don't know if that will be the location of the loading station, but it would seem natural to put it relatively close to the rest of the park, which that is.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2012, 05:27:03 PM »
Zephon, thanks for the updates. Are you allowed to post photos? We would love to see anything you can post.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2012, 05:35:17 PM »
someone should post something on the sdc facebook page about the new ride and see what they say!

Quote from: Silver Dollar City
Yes, there will be a new attraction coming in 2013...stay tuned for details being released this summer! Thanks for asking David!
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2012, 05:57:12 PM »
LOL!!!  Now there is a lot of info!!!

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2012, 06:46:30 PM »

Just for fun, I moved the Oz Cat to the City to see how it would fit, footprint wise.

edit:changed to clickable thumb
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:18:20 PM by Injun Joe »