Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 718012 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2012, 03:32:12 PM »
In the absence of pictures from within the park, could someone please post a google maps satellite shot indicating the area where work has started? Obviously we have a general idea, but it would be great to have some tighter reference as to the location of this ongoing development, not to mention something visual to fuel additional speculation with respect to what the final footprint may entail.

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2012, 04:25:47 PM »
someone should post something on the sdc facebook page about the new ride and see what they say!
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2012, 05:10:33 PM »
someone should post something on the sdc facebook page about the new ride and see what they say!

Done. I'll let you know when they reply, but I wouldn't expect much.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »

"old" robber shack shaded bluish
TGS greenish

As you can see, some fine terrain.  That is about 100 ft down from the tracks to the bottom and another 120 or so all the way to the bottom of that valley to the northwest of the photos edge.

without contour lines for reference

edit:darkened photo for visibility
edit:added clickable thumbnail
edit:added quotation marks
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:53:03 PM by Injun Joe »

cocodane3

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2012, 06:40:32 PM »
ok so i asked sdc if the robber shack was removed for future developement. I also asked if it would replace the new robber shack or be placed on park. They deleted my post faster than a cat could lick its tail end.  :(not a surprise. ;)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »
Let's not blow up their facebook with stuff about this ride just yet, I'm sure they don't want people creating a stir over things like the robbers shack and bringing in bad publicity. If you must contact the park, use the contact form on their site or send an email.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »
What are the two buildings in the north end of the picture that sit on each side of the high line cut?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2012, 07:54:15 PM »
not a 100% but im pretty sure the first building is the stable and the second is greenhouses.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »
ok so i asked sdc if the robber shack was removed for future developement. I also asked if it would replace the new robber shack or be placed on park. They deleted my post faster than a cat could lick its tail end.  :(not a surprise. ;)

It's not deleted. I've thought that before too, you have to click "everyone(most recent)" on their page and it's still there right above mine. Shave has a point though, we probably shouldn't be posting stuff on a public page about information we've gathered from insiders. However anyone who rode the train could see there is obviously something going on back there so that's why I felt it was ok to ask a general observation question.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »
The Red lines are railroad track and the blue lines are service roads.

"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2012, 10:51:22 PM »
Wow, this is exciting! It has been a long time since we've had a major new addition to look forward to. What are they going to do with the service roads? Surely, they wouldn't leave them there with the new ride going in that spot.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2012, 01:15:47 AM »
Thanks for the graphic Zephon.

Coaster, it won't be hard to build over the service roads. Assuming it's a wooden coaster, I expect the lift will rise up over the tracks and maybe towards the service area where the earth work is being done. Then it could do a twisting drop into the ravine and swish around in there. I'm not entirely sure which direction they'll go. There's some good ravines farther down the train line, but I hope they don't build too close to the tracks so the train ride isn't further spoiled.

I just hope GCII brings out the air and forces on this one. I haven't gotten to ride Prowler yet, but that was pretty much what I wanted to see at SDC. Throw in a few extra curves and tunnels along with some cool theming and it could be world class.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2012, 02:04:03 AM »
I dunno... I rode Prowler, and I guess I'm just not a fan of wooden coasters. I've been on that, on Timberwolf (which I don't count since it's such a stupidly old ride that even the most enthusiastic woodie fans complain about it), and on The Boss the year it opened.

Yeah, haven't found a wooden coaster I like yet... I still hate myself that I never made it to Celebration City and onto OzCat.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2012, 08:26:25 AM »
I really liked American Thunder (Evel Knievel) at Six Flags St. Louis. It was fast, felt out of control, but didn't beat you up.

I know things are just speculation at this point, but Rocky Mountain Construction (Texas Giant rehab) stated at IAAPA that they have a complete new coaster project for 2013, not a rehab. Could this new coaster at SDC be that Rocky Mountain Coaster? It wouldn't be a traditional wood coaster, but it would give you that look and type of ride, and it would also reduce maintenance time and cost.

Anyway, just a thought that crossed my mind  :-\

Jay

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2012, 10:51:06 AM »
Jay, I looked up Rocky Mountain... That looks like a good compromise: the aesthetics and track layout/elements of a wooden coaster, but the smoother ride of a steel track. I like that.

I've only been to Six Flags once, ten years ago; we weren't there the whole day and I wasn't allowed on any rides that went upside-down, so after waiting some 2+ hours in line for The Boss and riding a couple of the more carnival-like rides, we didn't do much more than that. So I haven't been on American Thunder; was that there back then or is it newer?