Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 722466 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »
The old Robber's Shack is the little log cabin that the train robbers USED to to the skits from...directly behind the Giant Swing and across the tracks from FITH. The current shack the robberies are done out of has been there since the days I worked on park, but originally was just an atmosphere piece the train drove by.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2012, 12:16:28 PM »
^Which site is that? I've also heard a number of rumors flyiig! I'll take either coaster myself, though I think the woodie would please more of the SDC crowd.

The site is www.ghettoassparadise.com, but the poster there has posted here before, so I'm not sure why he hasn't posted anything here yet. ???

Jay

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2012, 09:17:18 AM »
i just want to know y no one has posted any pics of all the excitement yet? :)
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2012, 09:51:35 PM »
Sadly, I must report that the "old" robber's shack no longer exists.  They knocked it down yesterday.  A lot of history...gone by the wayside in the name of progress.  I wish they could have found a way to incorporate it into the theme of the new ride.  Additionally, they have been doing some dozing down in the small hollow which is just across the tracks to the north of where the ORS was.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »
Thanks for the report.  'Tis sad.  They could have moved it.  I'm not so sure this one is worth agonizing too much over though.  Goodbye "old" robbers shack, we will miss you.  RIP.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2012, 01:01:37 AM »
Bittersweet news. That old robbers shack was such a piece of the original atmosphere of the park. Who knows how many millions of people got robbed in front of it over the years.

However, I'm VERY pleased to hear that they're working down in the hollow, where I've said for years now that a terrain wooden coaster would fit in wonderfully. Heck, any kind of coaster that fits the terrain will do well in that hollow. This will be very interesting to see how this develops.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2012, 08:15:23 AM »
I wonder if the bank robbery will still take place somewhere else along the tracks, or if it will also be a part of the past? My daughter though probably wouldn't mind if the bank robbery was gone for good.....she cried the whole time and refuses to ride the train even today because of it.

Jay

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2012, 08:19:39 AM »
file the cabin with the other lost sdc rides/attractions. While sad there is a season for every change in life. I do pray that the train show remains and I love to watch it even if I know every corny joke and phrase. Its a ritual for my family to ride the train and give a penny. :) The robbers shack will be missed.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2012, 08:22:53 AM »
Sad to read about the demolishing of the old Robber's Shack. It really seems they could have saved the hewn logs that made up the walls and placed this small building somewhere on park or in another location around the RR tracks. That was the home of the Bowlin Gang for about 40 years. Things will never be the same. Looking forward to the new attraction in that area, though. Time marches on...in the meantime, take a look at the Flickr site for a couple of 1978 shots of the old SDC Robber's Shack, taken from the "From Silver Dollar City Wish You Were Here" picture booklet that was sold on park.             http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2012, 08:53:14 AM »
I love that new picture Jr!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2012, 10:56:26 AM »
I am also surprised they could not have saved the cabin, The new ride will be themed with the rest of the park, so...... Why lose the cabin?

On the upside, with very nice weather they (contractors) should be able to get a lot of prelinary work done...  then next march we will be able to see what was done...

Junior, I also like you new pic.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2012, 11:24:08 AM »
Let me just say that the removal of the Old Robbers Cabin really ticks me off. The "new" shack/cabin where the train robbery now takes place is so much smaller and less authintic (IMO). UGH! More SDC history LOST!

Junior: I like your new picutre as well
sanddunerider: I just noticed your signature ;)
You have a great past just ahead of you.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2012, 11:42:08 AM »
Thanks Dollar, i figured it was time to add that.  It has been on my email signature for a year now.  LOL>!!!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2012, 01:01:09 PM »
I wonder if the bank robbery will still take place somewhere else along the tracks, or if it will also be a part of the past? My daughter though probably wouldn't mind if the bank robbery was gone for good.....she cried the whole time and refuses to ride the train even today because of it.

Jay

Jay, the train robbery has gone on in a new location farther down the tracks for several years now. They moved it after TGS was built due to the noise.

As for saving the cabin, it would have been a nice touch, but what would they have really done with it? There's not many places to put it, it wouldn't serve much use, and no one besides us would even notice it. We'll probably be the only ones who even notice it's gone next year. Oh well, I have HIGH hopes that whatever replaces it will contribute not only to the ride collection but also to the general atmosphere of the park. They have a great track record in the past few years with how TGS, RB, and to some extent HDH have fit in well with the park (though we can always argue about locations...).

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2012, 01:31:15 PM »
They coulda put it in my backyard. I woulda used it for a play house with the kid.  ;)