Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 721644 times)

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2011, 02:41:43 PM »
I dont think I want much more going into SDC. I dont want a giant six flags or dolly wood. I like my small/medium park with a handful of rides, food, shows and craftsmen. I dont go to get my thrill on. I go because for me, SDC is a warm pair of pajama pants. No fancy thread count. Plain upfront comfort. SDC is pure unadulturated bliss as it is.
Good point, but with Waterboggin and Splash Harbor being taken out a couple of rides is not necessarily growing the park...In my opinion, the rule of thumb should be if you take one attraction out it should be replaced with one...The waterboggin thing still confuses me...I would still like to see an adventure mountain type of ride replace it...I still think the Roaring Falls idea in place of Splash Harbor would be a great idea where you plunge into Lake Silver...I will say not only is DW getting all the rides it seems like they get the bigger name performers during their Bluegrass Festival (Ricky Skaggs, Dailey and Vincent, etc.)...Come on Herschend, show SDC a little love...How about updating/refurbishing American Plunge...again, that wouldn't be adding anything to the park or making it bigger...Just a couple of thoughts...but I do agree, I also don't want it becoming a giant six flags...I love the down home feeling you get at SDC...
Colorado SDC Fan

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2011, 03:08:44 PM »
I am all for updates/refubs. In fact I would ADORE that.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2011, 04:04:13 PM »
josh, perfecr scenario there...remove one, add one..  keep it alive.!

IASTClone

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2011, 09:43:41 PM »
Dirt should be getting moved soon.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2011, 04:36:23 PM »
I doubt if you see any dirt being moved for a while...  If they wanted us to see/know what was going on. I think they will let us know what is going to be built, before they get serious about construction.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2011, 08:41:07 AM »
^ not necessarly. Dirt was being moved, track was spotted, and Dollywood hadn't announced any details up to that point.

This is just my opinion on what you'll see (if it is the big coaster we all want, and what SDC hinted to at ACE Coaster Christmas):
March 2012 - groundwork, clearing
June 2012 - begin construction
December 2012 - complete major construction
Winter break 2013 - detail construction (testing if weather allows)
Spring 2013 - "The Bull - Wooden Coaster" opens

Of course dependent on size, you could see things begin earlier, or later.......If it's big, I wouldn't doubt you could see things start in a couple of weeks just to be able to make a Spring 2013 date.

Jay

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2011, 09:09:27 AM »
I think that a big ole wooden coaster would be awesome but on the other hand I dont want to loose more trees. I am torn. I think I value the scenery over another thrill ride. Even my 5 year old was watchin a youtube video of the city and turns to me and said the trees are having an exceptional day today. I dont want to loose that quality of the City. If I want coaster central I would go to cedar point.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2011, 11:46:03 AM »
In 30 years, when your son is taking your grandson, the tree's will be back, and then we'll be in business.  IMHO, anyway.  But I totally understand and agree.  Trees should be considered one of SDC's greatest resources and every effort made to save as many as possible.

edit: added everything after "IMHO"
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:47:38 AM by Injun Joe »

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »
While waiting to ride the Barn Swing Tuesday I asked one of the ride attendants if SDC was going to get a new ride for 2012.  He said "no, but we're getting a new roller coaster for 2013".  He said it was still supposed to go in the area behind the Barn Swing.  I asked what kind of coaster it was going to be and he said he did not know because they have not told them yet.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2011, 07:31:31 PM »
I would not be surprised if they're not out there as soon as the season ends cutting down trees and clearing brush so that they can survey and prep the site early. If this thing is as big as I think it will be, then cowboy's timeline should be pretty spot on. I expect something on the scale of what Dollywood has done recently with their new coasters, and they always spend the season before hand getting the work done early so there are no surprises. Heck, Wild Eagle has had it's track complete for a month or more now and the 2011 season isn't even over yet!

Maybe they'll have a big teaser campaign like DW usually does as well. I think they were going to try one with RiverBlast, but the delay and the artwork leak kind of dampened things a bit there. This would be a first for them, wouldn't it?

And as for the trees, just look at the Wilson's Farm area and you'll see that SDC hasn't lost their touch when it comes to keeping trees in place around their new additions.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2011, 12:03:56 AM »
So is this new rollercoaster the projected "woodie" everyone has been longing for? I wonder how the old Robber's Shack will be implemented into the theming for the ride, or if it will be moved or just destroyed? I pray they preserve the shack in some fashion. I have a lot of fond memories of that little log building, both as a visitor who enjoyed the robberies, and as a "citizen" who spent break times hanging out with buddies inside there.  (I remember visiting with my friends there on break time and watching the robberies from INSIDE the shack. The windows were milk colored frosted plastic, and one had a little hole in it a person could look out of. It was always funny watching those shows from what essentially was "backstage" and watching the folks on the train react to the skit.)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2011, 10:47:07 PM »
I doubt if you see any dirt being moved for a while...  If they wanted us to see/know what was going on. I think they will let us know what is going to be built, before they get serious about construction.

There were trackhoes and dump trucks behind Wilson's farm/maintenance area today, looked like there was some excavation already going on. Saw this on the train, after you sort of get "out of the park" next to Wildfire there were some locate marks for utilities and some stakes/flags, then looking off to the right across the holler was where the trackhoe and such was. Looked like a maintenance building and parking lot near them.

So is this new rollercoaster the projected "woodie" everyone has been longing for? I wonder how the old Robber's Shack will be implemented into the theming for the ride, or if it will be moved or just destroyed? I pray they preserve the shack in some fashion. I have a lot of fond memories of that little log building, both as a visitor who enjoyed the robberies, and as a "citizen" who spent break times hanging out with buddies inside there.  (I remember visiting with my friends there on break time and watching the robberies from INSIDE the shack. The windows were milk colored frosted plastic, and one had a little hole in it a person could look out of. It was always funny watching those shows from what essentially was "backstage" and watching the folks on the train react to the skit.)

Are you talking about the shack they use now or a different one? From what I saw tonight it looks like it's going in the wooded area between the train tracks and Wilson's farm and doesn't seem to be going as far (northwest?) as the current shack.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2011, 11:25:06 PM »
Now that you can clearly see earth being moved in the woods, from on top of PK, today...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2011, 06:56:13 AM »
I've read reports on another site that the coaster isn't going to be "The Bull" wooden coaster but is going to be a Mystery Mine ride instead.

Not sure if I like that idea. But oh well, something is better than nothing.

Jay

Edit and Update: the post on the other site has been updated to say that the current construction is for the "Bull" after all. Woo Hoo!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:15:32 PM by cowboy »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2011, 03:40:53 PM »
^Which site is that? I've also heard a number of rumors flying around myself. Rumors of both a woodie and a MM concept for SDC have been around for the past 5 years at least, so it's not surprising that there are people claiming either one for 2013. In fact, I'm sure that at one time or another in the past 5 years we would have gotten either or both attractions if it weren't for the darn economy. Back in 07-08 I really thought they had a MM style attraction planned for 2009 for some reason.

All we know is 2013 is going to be big! I'll take either coaster myself, though I think the woodie would please more of the SDC crowd. The MM style ride would certainly fit SDC's original style more though and would add to the atmosphere of the park more in some ways if it's themed out the wazoo like MM at DW is.