Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 718197 times)

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »
Well if they were to move the ozcat they would have to start dismantling it sometime soon i would think.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2012, 06:54:25 AM »

Or maybe try this on for size.  This one's not exact scale but very close.

edit: added last sentence
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:59:09 AM by Injun Joe »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2012, 08:48:08 AM »
Both are nice fits in the area injun,

Oz cat fits in there very nicely, But i am sure that ozcat will not be an option.Too cost preohibitive to move and rebuild,

And I doubt a Mystery mine building in that area.  i think that would really mess up the "look" of the area. i would expect a mystery mine on the east side of the park in the WB area.

we will find out eventually what they are doing, but i expect a steel coaster themed accordingly.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2012, 09:21:07 AM »
Both are nice fits in the area injun,

Oz cat fits in there very nicely, But i am sure that ozcat will not be an option.Too cost preohibitive to move and rebuild,

And I doubt a Mystery mine building in that area.  i think that would really mess up the "look" of the area. i would expect a mystery mine on the east side of the park in the WB area.

we will find out eventually what they are doing, but i expect a steel coaster themed accordingly.

I guess they've never seen Mega Movers  ;D. 3 or 4 helicopters, some straps, unbolt OzCat from the footings and just fly it across 2 or 3 hollers and it's there. No assembly required.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »
OK!! LARSON!! you win!!  Mega-Move the Oz Cat!!  yea baby!!!  LOL

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2012, 10:58:38 AM »
The Steel Dragon 2000, located at the Nagashima Spa Land park in Kuwana, Mia Prefecture, Japan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagashima_Spa_Land) is, and has been since it's opening in 2000, the world's longest roller coaster, steel or otherwise.

Here is how it will look when built in SDC for its 2013 opening.  It will be mirrored at the loading station so as to save the old robber's shack, which has only been torn down to confuse people.  As you can clearly see we have plenty of room for expansion as long as you folks keep kindly buying your season tickets and spreading the good word.

:P

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »
Fits nicely.  ;D Although I think it might be visible from the road.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2012, 06:36:59 PM »
OK!! LARSON!! you win!!  Mega-Move the Oz Cat!!  yea baby!!!  LOL

Obviously that was tongue in cheek. And I know that's not going to happen. But seriously, I wonder if it is possible. Does anyone have any guess as to what a coaster would weigh? The only one I could find online was some behemoth steel contraption that weighed 900 tons.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »
^It is in no way possible to move OzCat as a complete piece. If it were to be 'moved' it would be taken apart in sections called bents. Each bent would have to be inspected with parts replaced. All of the trackwork would have to be completely rebuilt.

The only times in history that wooden coasters have been "moved" have involved relatively small coasters such as the Starliner and the Phoenix that actually had a bit of historical significance and nostalgia behind them. In every case you end up using more new materials than old, so it really is about salvaging nostalgia much more than the physical ride. OzCat was fun, but it doesn't have a whole lot of nostalgia attached to it after operating for just 5 years. I know I'd be mad that they wasted both money and the opportunity to build something better if they ever tried to move it somewhere.

Back to the ride at hand, did you know Rocky Mountain Construction has worked on El Toro and T-Express, considered two of the wildest and most thrilling wood-hybrid coasters in the world? The more I look into them, the more I actually kind of hope they are in fact behind this project. However, I assume that if it is a wood coaster, the chain will stick with GCII, who they have a good relationship with. I think they want this to hit more of the family market. They can always hit the thrill seeking crowd with an MM concept some day.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »
The Zippin Pippin from Libertyland in Memphis was moved to a park up north somewhere. But, like Shave says, it really was a smaller coaster, and after reading his entry about how a moved coaster has to be refitted for a new location, I'd bet more of the Pippin was replaced then saved.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2012, 08:02:32 PM »
I know it's not going to be moved. I was just thinking hypothetically if it was possible to pick up something that big in one piece.

After looking at some of the aerial shots I'm wondering just how big the footprint of this thing is going to be. I really wasn't thinking it was going to close to the access road and those buildings. The picture with OzCat superimposed doesn't seem to take up much real estate but I guess we don't know exactly what it's going to be yet.

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2012, 08:06:06 PM »
well i think if you tried to pick up the entire coaster (theoretically) you would find that once it was unbolted from its piers it wouldn't be strong enough to hold itself together while in the air. I also think it is going to be funny when this new ride turns out to not even be a rollercoaster at all!

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2012, 08:21:48 PM »
I'm confident HFEC will be pulling out all the stops for this project. SDC is long overdue for a major addition.

I also don't anticipate them adding another coaster with "family" in mind. TNT already fits the bill. And their last three ride additions have specifically catered to family and/or a younger target audience (GE, RB, HDH). I believe they recognize the need to make some noise with a new ride that will boost ticket sales, and improve the balance of park offerings with another very well done thrill ride attraction.

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2012, 08:47:37 PM »
OK just some more fun facts for moving the oz cat with helicopters. 1. I couldn't find exact boardfootage for the oz cat so i just used 500,000 BF (found coasters from 320k to 1.7mil) at 500k BF of southern Pine you have a weight of 1,196,00 lbs or 598 tons. This weight doesn't include bolts nails chain etc. 2. The Sikorsky CH-53k (still in development for the government) heavy lift helicopter has a total lifting cap of 35000lbs. If would take 35 helicopters to lift the oz cat. 3. cost for a ch-53k around 50mil or 1.75 trillion for 35 of them. So in summary i don't think this would be a very fezable idea! :)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2012, 09:13:09 PM »
That's also not counting track. The biggest one that I could find was a Chinook that was rated at around 13 or 14 tons so I guess choppers are out. I'll get back on topic now, I promise.  ;D