Author Topic: "Lost" Branson in Postcards  (Read 4797 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
"Lost" Branson in Postcards
« on: November 06, 2011, 12:55:16 PM »
I found several old postcards from the 1930's and 1940's while at a local flea market on 11/5/11. Several old scenes of places "lost" in time now in Branson, and a few that are still in the area and have not changed too much in 70 plus years. Hope you like them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: "Lost" Branson in Postcards
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:00:47 PM »
Very nice Junior! I haven't seen the float trip one before! Great find!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:21:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing those Jr. Its so exciting to see pictures from the past and compare how things have changed.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 09:35:53 PM »
Neat catch Junior! It’s interesting to see how Branson has been a vacation spot for so many generations.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 06:55:43 AM »
Nice,  it is surprising the attraction the area has had for years!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 09:05:27 AM »
It's that time of the year again! I'll soon have to purge some of the photos on my Flickr account. So if you are interested in viewing the photos of "lost" Branson in postcards...look at them soon. They will disappear by the end of the year.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »
I found some new flea market finds...more post cards of "lost" Branson sites. Check out the Flickr site. Click on the photo to enlarge it and see the full description of what is pictured.    http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »
Great finds there Junior. Thanks for sharing!
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 10:59:50 PM »
Question for you junior is that River rat camp still there are is that all been removed

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 09:48:34 AM »
River Rat Camp is gone. It was adjacent to the pathway that leads to Wildfire. All Jim Owens Float Trip "scenes" were removed when the American Plunge was built in the winter of 1980-81. The flow of the water in the channel was reversed for the plunge. In recent years the channel itself has shown some serious aging. The cave the plunge uses was removed and replaced with the concrete tunnel now in use. Walking along the pathway to Wildfire I noticed some of the old "rocks" along the float trip channel were cracking and breaking. They have done some repair, but not a whole lot. I am glad that they did not remove the old channel altogether. It is nice that they give a silent nod to the heritage of what was there before by leaving pieces of it to implement in the new attractions. They did this with the old diving bell building that now houses the Lost River. If you further check out the Flickr site I have, you will see the RDDB leftovers. Other leftovers from the float trip include that mill building, and the old float trip boat dock used occassionally now as an overflow area on busy days at the plunge.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 10:28:07 AM »
Interesting shot of HWY 76 at the bottom of downtown Branson.   When I was working at the city and had my evening's free, I used to beat the summer heat at night by hooking a right at the light near Dick's 5&10, then taking the road that is shown in that postcard.   If you rolled down your car windows at night, you'd get the fog and cool air to stream into your vehicle and cool you off. 

I miss being able to take that little detour.   Love the Branson Landing and all, but now I guess I'll have to substitute driving through it, with walking through it.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 02:04:34 PM »
When I was in high school the kids used to cruise downtown Branson. The route included that lake front road. Sammy Lane Resort, White River Hotel, downtown swimming pool, Mang Field, and all the other little mom and pop owned resorts...now gone and a part of history. Progress?

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 05:08:56 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics Junior.  I love the one of downtown Branson.  My how it has changed since I was a kid.