Author Topic: Front Turnstiles  (Read 7865 times)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Front Turnstiles
« on: October 19, 2011, 01:15:59 PM »
I don't think I asked the question correctly on another topic.
My question is, if this has always been an exit, as it appears in your photo why are there turnstiles there? As for the hand stamping there is someone sitting by the exit to OM. She wasn't there this past weekend, but we left right before park closing. The last time we were there she was there. I'm not sure if she stamps your hand or does something with your ticket. She always asks if we are coming back, but its a moot point for us since we're season pass holders
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:06:29 PM by rubedugans »
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

pintrader

Front Turnstiles
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 02:07:19 PM »
I myself always figured they used the turnstiles at the exit to the Ozark Marketplace for a second count.  That count would be for the number leaving the park to see if it matches up with the count of the turnstiles entering the park.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Front Turnstiles
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »
I would think if they were built today, or retrofitted to serve a new purpose that they would (or at least I would) sync the counter with a clock in order to see when guests were leaving/ times etc. to understand the patterns of people in order to alter shows/ meals to accomodate more people at different times.

pintrader

Front Turnstiles
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 02:27:34 PM »
I also have always wondered what the entrance or exit point next to the Ozark Marketplace was used for.  In this picture it is to the left side with tarps covering the two turnstiles.  I have never seen them in use but figured they must be used at sometime for something.

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac45/tomncyndi/DSC_0241.jpg[/img]]

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Front Turnstiles
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »
At times it is used as a Season Pass entrance. I cannot remember when it was last used to be honest, I have not been through that way in at least 1-2 years.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Front Turnstiles
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 04:48:11 PM »
My guess has always been the exit turnstyles are there for that second count. The exit area has always been an exit area going back to my first visit in 1970. I don't know how recent the above photo is, but I don't remember on my last visit that the turnstyles were there. You know how it is, they change things around for various reasons from time to time. We need a current citizen to answer our question. I know when I worked there, things were changing all the time, and I really didn't think too much of most changes either way. It was just natural progression from my standpoint. However, the company has always tweaked things in order to do one of two things 1) try to figure out ways of increasing revenue, or
2) improving customer service in some fashion.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Front Turnstiles
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 06:02:11 PM »
My guess has always been the exit turnstyles are there for that second count.

I would tend to agree with you were it not for the fact you can walk right around them. They look pretty old which is why I wondered if that used to be an entrance and they never took them out, but I guess that's not the answer either. Just one of those things I've wondered about maybe like you said we can get a current citizen to post a response.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Front Turnstiles
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 11:27:04 PM »
So what happens if the entrance turnstile counters, and the exit turnstile counters don’t match?  :P

As far as the turnstiles in the picture, I had never noticed them until just now. Very interesting catch, and quite perplexing.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Front Turnstiles
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 11:45:49 PM »
If those numbers don't add up, that's when Lucille of the MGR goes into action.  The Department of Missing Guests Relations Department.  She's like a bloodhound, ya know.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Front Turnstiles
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 01:38:26 AM »
Those tarped turnstiles... I remember going through those as a kid, and it was always when we'd left the park and come back later in the day (in a year that we didn't have season passes and got our hands stamped).

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Front Turnstiles
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 05:43:55 PM »
From SDC's facebook page:

Silver Dollar City
Great question David! We use them to both match gate count, and to know how many people are on the park at a given time. Thanks for asking!

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Front Turnstiles
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 05:52:55 PM »
opps, i used too spin those turn stile a lot while waiting for the tram as a kid opps. lol

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Front Turnstiles
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 05:56:55 PM »
opps, i used too spin those turn stile a lot while waiting for the tram as a kid opps. lol

I'm sure they know it's not 100% accurate. Like I said earlier you can walk around them if you choose to using the handicap gate.

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Front Turnstiles
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
yeah i know, but i shouldnt have done it anyway.lol ;)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Front Turnstiles
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 06:18:21 PM »
at leaste you didnt go around smashing mailboxes or pumpkins or defying authority! (I hope) And if turning the turnstyles is a crime lock me up in the SDC jailhouse cuz I am GUILTY!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!