Author Topic: Q-Bots?  (Read 3705 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Q-Bots?
« on: May 02, 2008, 07:17:59 PM »
As you all probably know, Dollywood has been utilizing a Q-bot system for several years now, and apparently considers the system a success. That can only mean that as SDC gets more major attractions, such a system is headed toward us. In fact, I'm pretty sure we'll be getting our own Q-bots in 2009.

The thing is, I abhor Q-bots and most all such systems. I know most enthusiasts and park goers enjoy them, but after paying something like $40 to get in the park, $12-15 for a meal, and all the other expenses that come up, I don't want to throw another $10 or so to be able to easily ride rides. The Q-bot system not only makes useless the normal line, but it also takes up certain (usually the best) seats on most attractions. I understand that those who pay more should get more, but I just don't like having to go through multiple fees to be able to enjoy myself at a park.

That's not to say I don't like the idea though, and DW's system isn't all bad: $10 for the first bot and $5 for each person in your family afterwards is a pretty good deal - not like the $40+ you'd have to pay at other parks.

Thoughts?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Q-Bots?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 07:50:15 PM »
It's too bad they can't just do like Disney does and have a Fastpass-type thing that's free.

But to be honest, I don't think SDC really needs anything like this, at least not for the rides. They should do it for the shows instead, because even despite the Show Lover's Pass being available, the line for Feet of Fire on an uncrowded Wednesday was all the way from the Red Gold Heritage Hall to the glass-blowing factory!

~ "Becky" Joy ~

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 08:03:29 PM »
Lines are rarely long enough to justify this.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 09:41:34 PM »
Lines at SDC just don't get long enough for this type of thing. (Thats a good thing)
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 10:54:10 AM »
I agree with everyone else.  Lines aren't long enough.  Most people who go to the park know this, so I'm not sure how much of a demand there would be if they do introduce Q-Bots.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 11:26:29 AM »
The thing is, if they do introduce Q-bots, the regular lines will get pretty bad, so you'll need one.

I have been thinking about it more, and I am beginning to see why these are so prized at some parks. If the park is crowded and everything has a 3+ hour wait, there's just no point in even being there, but with a Q-bot sort of system everyone could sort of set up a schedule for themselves. It's not as nice as being able to walk around and ride at will, but for the mega-parks on a crowded day it could be worth it.

Still, I think parks should really wait until lines get really bad before implementing these systems, and the $50+ variations are ridiculous.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 12:17:02 PM »
The longest I've ever waited to ride at SDC was 45 min for Buzzsaw Falls the day it opened, and close to an hour for Lost River on a very busy, hot day.

Until SDC has ride lines that reach 1.5 hours or more like Disney, I don't think they really need the passes.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 03:33:14 PM »
The longest I've waited in line for a ride is probably about an hour and a half. The year Wildfire opened, the year Powderket opened, and on a very hot day for the Lost River of the Ozarks.

I don't think lines will ever get long enough for this type of system.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."