Author Topic: Frisco Silver Dollar Line  (Read 12555 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Frisco Silver Dollar Line
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 06:09:45 PM »
I had forgotten all about those posts. A Deepwoods section of the park would be pretty cool and it's kind of what I'm expecting with this whole thing. But as we now know (maybe) we will be getting a woodie in 2009. And then a whole new area in 2010 (if the whole two year thing comes through). Wouldn't that be pretty costly?

SDC's 50 year anniversary is in 2010 so maybe that will be the year. It'd just be a very costly two year investment. I'm expecting this like in 2011 or maybe later? Does that seem accurate?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 07:02:20 PM »
I wouldn't expect it till 2012 or so, unless this is part of the next coaster project. This would be one of their "big" projects, which are usually more spaced out, though they have been expanding so rapidly lately.

I'm sure an area like this would cost a good $15 million plus. The area needs to be cleared out and leveled right (though I hope they don't go too far and build around the natural setting, like in other areas of the park, then the infrastructure has to be extended out there, new service roads and utilities set up, and it would probably warrant some type of large attraction or attractions.

sdcforever

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 10:50:18 AM »
A sad, sad day will come when they take away the train robbery.  I like some of the new things about the park, but I hate to see traditions go the way side.  The train ride is one of my most memorable memories as a kid at SDC.  I took my sister and her girls to the park last summer.  She hadn't been there since she was a kid, and the first thing she wanted to do was ride the train and experience the robbery.  Her teenage girls were whining about having to sit through a train ride, but they laughed and enjoyed it as much as we did.  SOME THINGS JUST NEED TO BE LEFT ALONE!  I hope the park doesn't give up their "roots" for profit and progress. 

So, what's this new area all about?  Will it (hopefully) fit in with the theme of the park?

Anything that SDC does they always conduct surveys.  So I'm sure before they do anything involving the train or the new area they will ask regular visitors for their input.  Change in the park is inevitable...just look at how much has changed in the last ten (let alone twenty) years.

As for the new area, the earliest I could see is 2011, but it will probably be 2012 before it's ready.  Perhaps there will be an announcement in 2009 where they announce a new area to commemorate 50 years (maybe not), but I just don't think it's possible for it to be ready by their 50th anniversary in 2010.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 08:37:03 PM »
One advantage to the train being used to shuttle people is that the walking traffic may be reduced.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rosenc1c

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 05:18:58 PM »
Sorry but I'm glad to see the train robbery go away.  It's old, boring and predictible.  I haven't ridden the train in years because I don't care to hear the same old tired jokes again.

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 06:51:15 PM »
^Why not just change the show annually?  That's what Dollywood did every year back when they had a train robbers skit.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 06:53:09 PM by Dukefan »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 08:18:23 PM »
Sorry but I'm glad to see the train robbery go away.  It's old, boring and predictible.  I haven't ridden the train in years because I don't care to hear the same old tired jokes again.

But.....that was the fun of it all!!!

I guess everyone has their opinions.  :'(
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

BelmontATO

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 09:24:59 AM »
Again, I agree with rosenc1c. I am just so tired of the same skit and the same jokes that I avoid the train whenever I can. My wife, however, can't get enough of it.

sdcforever

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 11:28:42 AM »
^I don't mind the same old jokes.  I ride it once or twice a year for the robbery skit.  However, I never get tired of Grandpa telling the Christmas Story.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »
I ride the train every time we go to the park, just so we can say hi to Rusty "Gunner" -- he is the coolest guy to talk to. 
SWOOSH

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 09:55:45 PM »
I love the robbery skits, especially when they forget their line and have to go improv.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 11:26:16 PM »
It is kind of sad to see it go.  Spiel attractions are a dying breed these days.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

sdcforever

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 01:56:50 PM »
It is kind of sad to see it go.  Spiel attractions are a dying breed these days.
This is just speculation, unless someone has heard definite news that the robbery is going away.  We'll have to see.