Author Topic: Geyser Gulch - (IS NOT) CLOSED  (Read 22573 times)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Geyser Gulch - (IS NOT) CLOSED
« on: October 13, 2011, 10:23:20 PM »
I was at the park today, and came across a new tall wooden wall which blocks all access to the Geyser Gulch area. I overheard a conversations from one of the citizens who said they are simply repairing, and revitalizing the area. However, is there more to this story, say a new attraction being built near the old Waterboggan site?

The wooden wall is next to the Toy Store.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozarkbbq/6242183197/in/photostream
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:09:50 PM by rubedugans »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Geyser Gulch - CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 11:21:45 PM »
Now that is funny!  I was just making comments over the weekend about GG and its condition.  And now all of the sudden it is closed??? Naybe the PTB are listening to us???  LOL.  Just joking..

Will be interesting to see when we get details...

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 11:31:21 PM »
(Moved to construction)

Woah, that's actually kind of insane! Maybe I'm too far removed from what kids are doing in the park these days, but I've always thought GG was pretty much the major highlight of the park for most of them. This is akin to boarding off Wildfire for them.

They must have a good reason to just close it off like this all the sudden without warning, but I thought we weren't going to see any major new attractions built? Perhaps they are radically overhauling GG into a "new and improved" attraction. This probably means they'll take out the water cannons and the structures in the lake that I pointed out when I visited over the summer. They looked so ragged then I thought it was a new low for SDC's maintenance dept. I don't know why the park is so intent on getting rid of all the cool water guns though. Are they too expensive to run/maintain? They sure were fun back in the day, especially in Splash Harbor...

What about the rest of the structure? Do you think they might revamp/expand it into more of an Adventure Mountain style ropes course? Maybe a new theme? Hmm, lots of possibilities. With the general success of HDH, perhaps the park wants a bigger version for bigger kids to help keep HDH for the tots. At Stone Mountain Park, they're putting in a nets course similar to what Huck Finn's Hidaway used to have: http://stonemountainpark.com/attractions-shows/attraction-detail.aspx?AttractionID=1492

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 01:30:19 AM »
Hmmm... That Geyser Tower thing at Stone Mountain looks pretty cool. I, too, wonder if maybe they'll be revamping Geyser Gulch to put in something similar?

As long as they keep the air cannons, I'm good. :-)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:47:29 AM »

Hey maybe they will pull a "water boggin" or " River Blast" and just tear something apart and then run out of money to replace what they tore out!

Half Dollar Holler is not large or advanced enough for older children to play it.  THere will be a hole now, just as there is with the Water Boggin.   That wont bare well with the Christmas crowds.  Maybe they will really do something special back there.  I am not holding my breath.

I don't think the crowds have been very impressive this year at SDC, I hate to see that.
Lots of shows in Branson closed, times are tough. 

Hours of  many full time employees at SDC have been cut by 8 hours.  Leaving this area closed will frankly save them labor hours, I am not sure how many it took to man this area but I would imagine the hours add up.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:59:04 AM »
I am really hoping for something worthwhile. I love GG dont get me wrong but it got kinda lame. Maybe I just got older, but GG just seemed to loose its luster....now if they updated it that would be great, if they tear it down and start over, bully for them. Just lets hope they keep something for the inbetween years there.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 09:21:30 AM »
WOW!
Well, I don't even know what to say to this; it certaintly is interesting though! It's odd to me that they would just close it off randomly, and especially build a fence (like they typically do when something "new" is being built).
2 VERY interesting rumers we have heard this week: Coaster behind Giant Swing & now this! & Swoosh has said they are doing ADA stuff over the off-season, and many have stated that SDC doesn't have the funds to build anything new in 2012. SO...What the heck is going on SDC??????????
You have a great past just ahead of you.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 10:12:55 AM »
Also, another side note: On our last visit to SDC (oct 9th) I noticed the Christmas lights had already been put up on most of the buildings. I did not go to the Geyser Gulch area this last visit; but does anyone know if the Christmas lights had been put on in that area? That might be a sign of what could or could not happen.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 10:14:36 AM »
I also had a thought, that with GG area being closed will this affect the standing room to watch the loggers?
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 10:36:10 AM »
Maybe they will put in an adventure mountain. That is what I was hoping for with HDH. I just think the climbing courses look cool for people of all ages. I'm just about 40 years old and would love to climb courses like that. HDH for little kids and adventure mountain for the big kids.
Colorado SDC Fan

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 11:38:40 AM »
I was there Oct 8, but I didn't get to do half the stuff I wanted, including heading towards GG so I never noticed the wall. I'm trying to go again before they close, maybe with just my mom, or a friend. That way I can do what ever I want unlike last time when I had to follow my sister around all day. If I go, I'll try to hang around the toy store and places near the fence and see what I can hear.  ~sneaky~ lol
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 12:07:40 PM »
I questioned SDC via their facebook page about the fence, within minutes my post had been deleted.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 12:39:12 PM »
I questioned SDC via their facebook page about the fence, within minutes my post had been deleted.

Those folks in Atlanta are friendly kind arent they.........................................

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 03:52:34 PM »
Hmm...wonder what'll be back there next year? Maybe it could be just cleaning and the wall is to stop every looky-loo from goinf back there. Last year during OTC they had a person stationed there to block the way...maybe this is to alleviate the need for the one worker.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 04:11:45 PM »

They seem to do that a lot. I don't think we should rely on their facebook page. Most of the "inside" stuff I found out from you guys!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin