Author Topic: How will things change when...  (Read 7735 times)

pintrader

Re: How will things change when...
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 11:18:03 PM »
Yet while we all chime in about the value level of the park  basketballs are being dribbled down hill street and a pizza buffet is served at lunch    and you can see where the employees park when you drive in.   Corp is already in the park and will grow more and more each year.

I think that is a very good point!  It's great if the future leaders of SDC have high Christian values, but that's only part of it.  They need to keep the things that are sentimental and in theme for it's loyal customers.  I myself have doubts if a person or board out of Georgia will try to keep the things that are important to most of us.  I think they will be and already are being sacrificed for corporate profit.  But! Hey! They are a business.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 07:01:34 AM »
with the corp entity, and the newer generations taking over we will no doubt loose several of the aspects of the city that we all love. ::) ::)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 01:46:48 PM »
But as long as we are all here to carry them on, much like all of the classics we all remember like Rube Dugans, walking behind the waterfall, the stagecoach rides, we will make it!

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 04:11:55 PM »
As we look to the future of the park, believe me, I hear and understand what you all are saying, and the basketball bouncing bugs me as much as the next guy.  That and pizzas may not be the epitome of an 1880's theme park...but....the park must make concessions in certain areas especially when it comes to things that the youngsters will find of interest.  Yes, we have a few thrill rides...but, when the parents get tired of being drug around to all of that and say "no more", really, what is there on park that tweens and teens will find of interest?  Craft demos, shows, etc. will not hold their interest for but a few minutes.  And the park gets slammed for it on surveys all the time.  So the park is trying to do something, anything, to accommodate them, even though it seems that we're stumbling along blindly sometimes.  It's tough for the park to find things that will hold the interest of kids who have been brought up in this age of electronics and instant gratification.

Yet....these kids are the future of the park, and the future of the park depends on hooking these young people and bringing them back when they reach adulthood.  SDC has to be a place that they remember having fun at as kids.....after they reach the time in their life when they learn to appreciate slowing down and looking around at the other things.  Most of you started coming here when you were young so you know what I'm talking about. 

So...I ask you all to have patience with the kids, and have patience with the park as it strives to serve them as well as you all.  Maybe instead of always composing focus groups of adults, they should assemble groups of kids from time to time.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »
Let's just pool our money, make an offer on the park, and buy it outright!  Then we can put everything back in place that has been taken out and restore it to its original wonderment! :)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 09:38:33 AM »
Craft demos, shows, etc. will not hold their interest for but a few minutes.  And the park gets slammed for it on surveys all the time

So do i understand that the crafts are actually getting poor marks from younger folks?

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 10:41:13 AM »
I suppose since I am in my late twenties, and am no longer a “tween” that my opinion is void. However, I absolutely love the arts, and crafts, and live music performances.

I would have it no other way. I especially enjoy the Harvest Festival when so many visiting artists, and craftsmen stop by. It’s amazing what beautiful work they can dish out.

I completely agree that the young ones are the future, but how many of us grew up as youngsters at Silver Dollar City? We fell in love with the character, and atmosphere of the park as it was. Years ago, Silver Dollar City certainly welcomed young ones with open arms, but they never bent over backwards, or changed their entire business model based solely on them.

We definitely live in a super high tech, gadgetry world, and keeping the attention spans of young ones is surely a challenge. However, instead of trying to razzle, and dazzle them into coming to Silver Dollar City, why not simply give them the honest chance to fall in love with Silver Dollar City for what it truly is?

I would hate to see Silver Dollar City lose it’s character, and atmosphere simply because we as adults are afraid young ones will get distracted for five minutes. Give the young ones some credit. If Silver Dollar City stays true to what it is, the young ones will follow. It is a timeless formula that has worked for over five decades.  :)

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 05:34:24 PM »
We love SDC because it gets us away from the razzle and dazzle. This is true of the Wilderness campground as well. In fact, that's what the family loves about the camping trips we take period-it's nice to get away from the razzle, dazzle. To the power to be: Please keep SDC an 1880's theme park and maintain the integrity of that theming.
Colorado SDC Fan

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »
AMEN!!!!  josh!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 01:04:11 PM »
I have to agree we need things that will entertain the young uns. I know when I was young I didnt care about the shows and the freakin awesome screen door craftsman. I didnt care that there was a pottery shop or a blacksmith. But as my brain evolved and matured those things began to matter to me. SDC is like a gift that keeps on giving! First it gives fun places to play and rides, then it gives fantastic shows and as you get older it gives great shops and crafts to appriciate. it neednt change. Dont overrun it with crap ya dont really need. I feel it has a great balance the way it is. yes I would love to put back some of the classics and fun signage. But as is its a pretty stinkin cool place. It doesnt need to change who it is to lure the boys in, they boys should like her for who she is!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 11:22:10 PM »
It doesnt need to change who it is to lure the boys in, they boys should like her for who she is!

Oh, we definitely like her for who she is!  ;)

There is so much variety at Silver Dollar City that there is truly no reason for Silver Dollar City to change a thing in regards to attracting kids. In fact, not including Kid's Fest there is the Grand Exposition, Geyser Gulch, Half Dollar Holler, and River Blast that have been designed specifically for kids.

Not only that, but almost all kids love watching the candy, and taffy being made, and watching the fiery hot glass blowing demonstrations, and other actives which are the more "grown up."

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 12:21:07 PM »
As a kid attending the park, there were lenty of things to keep us busy. I had never been to Disney(did not go to WDL until I was 21), had never been to Six Flags (did not go until I was 13), we always went to SDC. I was there before I was 1! This was what theme parks were to me, all others since then have failed to compare. I know my views are a bit jaded seeing that this was all I knew for years. We would watch the craftsmen, go through the Flooded Mine and FITH, shop, play on the Gandy Dancers, possibly climb at Tom Sawyer's Landing, watch more craftsmen, eat the lunches we brought, and call it a day-usually to do it again the following day.

Not everyone will feel as we do about the park. My wife took a few years to catch the SDC bug, but it has taken hold (finally after dragging her for nearly 10 yrs!)

Some come for the rides, some could care less about them, I have grown to become a mixture, I keep hold of the old, and embrace most of the new. I do not believe that HFEC would alienate their one of their core groups, tour busses!!!!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 11:38:44 PM »
I do not believe that HFEC would alienate their one of their core groups, tour busses!!!!

Ha ha, and as we all know, most of the time it is certainly not kids getting off of those! Don't you just love the gray-purple headed crowd. :P