Author Topic: Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art  (Read 24844 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »
Crystal Bridges has a new special exhibit that features the Hudson River School art of the 19th century. My wife and I went to see it with our grand daughter recently, and this is a great exhibit. Cost to get in to Crystal Bridges is FREE, the special exhibit is only $5 per head. Well worth a trip to Bentonville. Again, I stress that when you have a couple of days to see Branson, spend part of the day a couple of hours south here in NW Arkansas and see Crystal Bridges...seriously, you would have to travel to LA, NYC, or Chi-town to see a collection of art as great as this.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 08:18:46 PM »
Crystal Bridges now has a Norman Rockwell exhibit for a month or two. I'd highly reccomend it to you. There is a small cost, maybe $15 to get in, but it is worth it, friends.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »
Just saw the Norman Rockwell exhibit at Crystal Bridges today. FANTASTIC! Seeing such classic paintings as "The Four Freedoms" and seeing his portraits of Eisenhower, Kennedy, Bing Crosby, Ann Margaret, and Slim Pickens was great. All of the over 300 covers from the Saturday Evening Post were on display, as well as correspondence, study drawings, rough sketches of famous works, Santa Claus works for Hallmark Cards, just great! Also they have permanent collection items at the museum that have been moved around, with several works that previously were in storage out and on display. So if you have not been to the museum, come on down to Bentonville...it is worth the trip, folks!

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 10:20:16 PM »
Just saw the Norman Rockwell exhibit at Crystal Bridges today. FANTASTIC! Seeing such classic paintings as "The Four Freedoms" and seeing his portraits of Eisenhower, Kennedy, Bing Crosby, Ann Margaret, and Slim Pickens was great. All of the over 300 covers from the Saturday Evening Post were on display, as well as correspondence, study drawings, rough sketches of famous works, Santa Claus works for Hallmark Cards, just great! Also they have permanent collection items at the museum that have been moved around, with several works that previously were in storage out and on display. So if you have not been to the museum, come on down to Bentonville...it is worth the trip, folks!

Folks, it can not be understated the treasure that Crystal Bridges is for NWA. This is a top shelf facility and will only grow in prestige.

They currently have an exhibit that is on display that aren't permanent but are part of a share program with other museums like The Louvre in Paris:

LOUVRE, HIGH, CRYSTAL BRIDGES AND TERRA FOUNDATION ANNOUNCE SECOND INSTALLATION IN MULTI-YEAR AMERICAN ART COLLABORATION

"American Encounters: Genre Painting and Everyday Life" will Focus on 19th Century American Genre Painting and its European Predecessors

Installation Brings Together Paintings from all Four Institutions to Broaden the Dialogue about American Art

November 12, 2012 - The musée du Louvre, the High Museum of Art, Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, and the Terra Foundation for American Art have announced the second installation in their four-year collaboration focusing on the history of American art. Opening at the Louvre on Jan. 19, 2013, "American Encounters: Genre Painting and Everyday Life" provides a close look at three major genre paintings, each of which offers a unique perspective on 19th century America. Two additional works from the collections at the Louvre exemplify American genre painting’s European sources. Following its presentation at the Louvre (Jan. 19–Apr. 22, 2013), the installation will travel to Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, AR (May 11– Aug. 12, 2013), and the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, GA (Sept. 14, 2013–Jan.14, 2014).

American genre painting, or scenes of everyday life, flourished during the first half of the 19th century, when the young nation sought images and narratives to define and bolster its developing identity. Portraying the lives of everyday Americans, genre painting often served as a vehicle for expressions of cultural nationalism. Three paintings in the installation will provide examples of American genre painting: Arthur Fitzwilliam Tait's "The Life of a Hunter: A Tight Fix" (1856) from Crystal Bridges, Eastman Johnson's "Negro Life at the South" (c.1870) from the High, and George Caleb Bingham's "The Jolly Flatboatmen" (1877–78) from the Terra Foundation. These works will be accompanied by two paintings from the Louvre: Jan Steen's "Festive Family Meal" (1674) and William Mulready's "Train Up a Child" (1841/1853), representative of the seventeenth-century Dutch and mid-nineteenth-century English schools that greatly influenced genre painters in the United States.

“The true value of this international collaboration is becoming increasingly evident as we open the second of four focused installations planned for the coming years,” said Peter John Brownlee, associate curator, Terra Foundation for American Art. "The ongoing nature of the partnership not only enables us to present great American paintings alongside their European predecessors. It enables a more fluid and more sustained dialogue about American art and its influences on a global stage. Following the success of the first installation of American landscape painting, we are excited to continue this object-based exchange through a series of focused presentations accompanied by educational programs and publications."

"The Louvre visitors are familiarizing themselves with American painting and have shown great interest since our first exhibition around Thomas Cole and landscape painting," said Guillaume Faroult, curator, Paintings department, musée du Louvre. “For many of them, the discovery of this artist and the Hudson River School exhibited at the Louvre for the first time was a complete revelation. This second installation around American painting is now anticipated by our public. The focus on American genre painting will be the opportunity to also highlight some of our recent acquisitions including a recovered painting by American artist Emmanuel Leutze, donated to the museum by the American Friends of the Louvre, and another one by Charles Robert Leslie from the Forbes collection.”

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 07:13:58 PM »
Recent article states that CB is smashing their attendance projections with 600,000 in the first year and second is on pace with that. More people took in the Rockwell exhibit than any other city that has hosted it and even the home museum from where it's based.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 12:39:25 AM »
Great news for the museum! This is one to see, folks!

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2013, 06:16:37 PM »
After a very long "we hate Walmart" rooted battle with the State of Tennessee, it will rotate back and forth between Btown and Nashville. 5 bucks admission to see this but General Admission still free:

November 9, 2013 through February 3, 2014

In 1949 Georgia O’Keeffe donated 101 works of art, ranging from African masks to Modernist paintings, to Fisk University in Nashville, Tennessee. Most of the objects had been collected by O’Keeffe’s late husband, Alfred Stieglitz, a photographer, gallery owner, and tireless champion of American Modernists, including O’Keeffe, Charles Demuth, Arthur Dove, Marsden Hartley, and John Marin, among many others. The Artists’ Eye: Georgia O’Keeffe and the Alfred Stieglitz Collection celebrates a partnership between Fisk University and Crystal Bridges that allows this important collection to be shared between Nashville and Bentonville.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2013, 06:30:02 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the O'Keefe stuff, many of her spouse's photos on display, too. Again, I cannot stress it enough...this is a museum to see, folks. If you head to Branson, make plans to spend half a day down here in NW Arkansas. Plan ahead, there really is much to do in our area.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »
I was watching some scripted network tv show over the weekend and they mentioned Crystal Bridges in a short list of museums, but for the life of me now I can't remember what show!
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 04:46:56 PM »
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
BENTONVILLE, Ark. -- Two Andy Warhol artworks soon will be available for viewing at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports (http://bit.ly/1dVGavj ) that the works will be available for viewing on Thursday at the museum in Bentonville.

The newspaper says the works include the third in a series of four Coca-Cola works that debuted at Warhol's first pop-art exhibition at the Stable Gallery in New York in 1962.

Crystal Bridges founder and Wal-Mart heiress Alice Walton bought the painting last month during an auction at Christie's in New York.

The other Warhol piece portrays a slumbering woman and man enveloped in bedding. Warhol created that work when he was a student in Pittsburgh.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/12/20/3829198/2-andy-warhol-works-go-to-crystal.html#storylink=cpy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:52:06 PM by chittlins »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2013, 05:42:38 PM »
Just another good reason to visit the museum. Be sure to stop by the 21C Hotel in downtown Bentonville, too. Walk through the first floor hallways and galleries for a giant kick of very modern, very unusual art by contemporary artists.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 08:38:13 PM »
I guess they are going to start a famous American architect collection and considering the many E fay Jones houses around the area, why not the man he studied under:

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2014/01/15/crystal-bridges-bought-a-frank-lloyd-wright-house-and-plans-to-move-it-from-new-jersey-to-arkansas/

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 05:12:27 AM »
Yeah, just saw that online somewhere. Fab! Wright inspired a leading NW Arkansas architect by the name of E. Fay Jones, and many examples of his work are scattered throughout the area and the country. See Thorncrown Chapel at Eureka Springs or Cooper Chapel at Bella Vista. A talented man named Maurice Jennings runs Jones' old firm in Fayetteville today.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 08:36:11 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about the Bachman Wilson house being moved... Yes it IS the same house, but it is not in the same place with the same site that was originally chosen by Wright.. I think the integrity is compromised, but the house is protected from flooding... Catch 22!

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 09:39:05 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about the Bachman Wilson house being moved... Yes it IS the same house, but it is not in the same place with the same site that was originally chosen by Wright.. I think the integrity is compromised, but the house is protected from flooding... Catch 22!

I've got a sneaky feeling about where they are going to put it and it'll by along a creek as well. Apparently this isn't going to be a open every day thing but just for limited things. It appears it's going to be in partnership with U of A's Jones School of Architecture. A damn fine School at that. Fayetteville's latest, greatest is Marlon Blackwell and I just don't like his stuff and the new high school that he designed I just hate the material used and his addition to Vol Walker Hall revolts me.

Here's the house to be relocated

In another Bentonville tidbit, Walmart is doing a mix use development with a Neighborhood Market as part of it. Walmart is honing it's urban design skills.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:43:34 PM by chittlins »