Author Topic: Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art  (Read 24859 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 04:10:31 PM »
Thanks for posting the review!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »
My wife and I made our first trip to the museum today (1-7-12) IT IS FANTASTIC! World class art, a building by a world class architect, gift shop designed by another world class architect, and all in a natural beautiful setting. I took many photos, and after I get a problem worked out with my computer, will upload some of them to my Flickr account for all to enjoy. I do want to say if you can get to Bentonville, AR to see this museum you need to do so. Admission is free, and if you have not been to this corner of the state you will find it offers many things to see and do, with museums, shopping, entertainment, arts, and restaurants. So make a weekend trip or at least a day trip to this area, and enjoy your day with your family or friends.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 10:09:14 PM »
Thanks for the posting.  Sounds like a must see at the great rate of free.  Looks like I'll want to make a side trip next time I'm in the area.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 08:44:33 AM »
Check out the Flickr site for a couple dozen shots of Crystal Bridges. My wife and I made a visit there last weekend. The buildings are a work of art. They are filled with works of art. Really, an artfully good time can be had. I strongly encourage you to visit with your family. Click on the photos to enlarge them and get a better view of the art and the building details. Enjoy!  http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 11:16:48 PM »
Some friends from NWA were just talking about how great the walking trails there are.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »
Adjacent to Crystal Bridges is Compton Gardens. Neil Compton is the guy who fought to save the Buffalo River from being dammed and developed, and the river became the first national river park. Anyway, the walking trails snake through both Crystal Bridges and Compton Gardens, pretty flowers and other fauna, and sculptures from the Crystal Bridges collection dot the trails and landscape. Wooded areas, fields, very, very, nice. In fact, Bentonville, Rogers, Bella Vista, Springdale and Fayetteville have been working the last few years on a walking trail system. It runs all the way from Bella Vista through Fayetteville. That's a 45 minute drive in a car, that means you can walk the city trails system for days or weeks, going on different pathways. It is one of the best developed walking trail systems in this region of the country. Plus, there is a billion dollar art museum along the path, so come on over and visit us here, ya'll! :)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »
Junior, how far is it from Branson? 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 07:16:04 PM »
Only about an  hour and a half to two hours, depending on traffic. Just to the south and west of Branson. If you leave from Branson and go north to Springfield, travel the interstate to Joplin, and then go directly south to Bentonville, it will take longer, but you will find straight roads, and it's the easiest way for me to explain a route here. You can also travel on West Highway 76 from Branson West to Reeds Spring, then to Cape Fair, then to Cassville, (Going through beautiful scenery in Mark Twain National Forest and Roaring River State Park) then travel west to Seligman, Mo, then south to Gateway, AR then to Garfield, AR, then to Pea Ridge, AR then to Bentonville to Crystal Bridges. Sounds more complicated, right? Anyway, get a map or google a route here, and come on down and see this wonderful museum.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 07:21:25 PM »
Thanks, Junior.  I will be checking that out this summer - maybe more than once.  A friend of mine (who dislikes Branson) asked me one day if I have been to this museum.  She wants to take a trip to see it.  My husband and I checked it out on line after the friend mentioned it.  We definitely want to go.   

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 02:43:02 AM »
Just for fun, I've posted over a dozen more photos of some of the artwork at Crystal Bridges on the Flickr site listed above. Hope you enjoy. :)

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 07:19:27 PM »
I went on December 29th.  It appeared that even though tickets were still mandatory, it was the last wain for anyone holding tickets and they were filling in space with anyone who wanted to come in and see it.

I was blown away!  I love that all the art is American art and it shows you how rich and diverse our artistic heritage is.   I certainly expected a lot of the Charles Russell and Thomas Hart Benton style art, but whoa....their Post Modern and 20th Century collection is incredible.

I took some photos as well and they can be seen at the link below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/sets/72157628673660779/
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 07:35:44 PM »
Excellent photos BetaMike. It is a special place. Again, I strongly encourage all to come visit.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 11:16:10 AM »
I'm going to brag a bit. Those trails are the responsibility of childhood friend of mine. He's come a long way from maintaining the little league fields in Marked Tree 8)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:17:16 AM by chittlins »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »
Your friend has done a good job. They are popular walking trails. The sculpture along them is wonderful. There is something new to see along the pathways each season. Summer and Fall are wonderful times to walk them.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 06:56:33 PM »
Your friend has done a good job. They are popular walking trails. The sculpture along them is wonderful. There is something new to see along the pathways each season. Summer and Fall are wonderful times to walk them.

I was mad when he left Fayetteville's parks department.