Author Topic: Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art  (Read 24855 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
« on: September 02, 2011, 04:58:50 PM »
I know we have discussed Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art to some extent here, but just thought I'd pass along that I went to the job fair they had September 1st. About 600-800 people turned out for maybe 40 jobs that are still open. The museum opens 11-11-11 at Bentonville, AR.
-

Check out their website! This is a museum on par with anything you could find in LA, Chi Town, and NYC.     
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 05:02:39 PM »
Opps! Website at:       www.crystalbridges.org      ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
TODAY IS 11-11-11! The museum opened today with much fanfare. Alice Walton (one of the richest women in the world/Wal-Mart heir) opened her museum...a big Veterans Day event was held on the Bentonville, AR town square, and the doors at the museum swung open. Bill Clinton gave a welcoming speech via a TV hook up. It was a big day for Arkansas. I cannot tell you how wonderful this museum is...it is on par with world class art museums and is only about two hours south and west of Branson. YOU REALLY NEED TO PLAN A VISIT...the museum has American art from the 1700s to present. Norman Rockwell, Andy Warhol, and Thomas Hart Benton works, and many, many others! If you have visited the good museums in KC or St. L, OK City or Tulsa or Wichita,  you need to come see something better than those...and they are very good. Go to the museum Website link above for an on line look at what awaits you! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:23:23 PM »
I cannot wait. As an artist, and a former art teacher, I am ecstatic just to have this so close!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 11:19:01 PM »
It’s really nice to get something so awesome for the area! Many areas of Arkansas are not known for artistic, and culture exposure, and this will so greatly aid in that effort. ;D

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 08:25:27 AM »
that's great! and could easily be worked into a branson trip!  will have to check it out.  Sounds like a jan-feb trip! ;D

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 05:31:11 AM »
This will definitely be a must-see on our next trip to/through NWA.

My late mother-in-law was an artist with a great sense of humor. My lovely bride doesn't have the artistic ability, but she has the sense of humor and the love of art. Crystal Bridges would take up our whole day, and we wouldn't mind a bit.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 08:06:58 AM »
I will have to con my family into going for christmas.....my dad lives not to far from there so maybe just maybe I can get the public phobe husband off the couch for THIS!!! ugh.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 08:53:57 AM »
Since opening 11/11/11, the museum has hosted over 50,000 guests! Tickets to get in are booked solid until the second week of January! This museum is a "MUST SEE!" I hope you do come by and see it...it will be worth your time!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 09:30:43 AM »
50,000 guest in just a couple of weeks is quite impressive! :o I look forward to more great things to come from this museum, and more artistic diversity from the region.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
Hey yall I have 5 tickets for Christmas Eve @ 330 and will not be able to attend as planned. They are up for grabs! PM me if you are interested
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 07:54:46 PM »
Oh if only...

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 07:59:43 PM »
Next Spring.............

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 08:12:43 AM »
Saw in yesterday's newspaper that over 70,000 have visited the museum since it opened. The initial rush to get in to see the place has slowed, so you won't need the free tickets to get in after January 1. The museum staff is offerering special tours limited to 15 people in a group. The speciality tours explore different topics, like, "women in American art," or "Colonial Period American art," and so on. Again, I cannot stress enough how fabulous this museum and the gardens and grounds are! SDC is closed in Jan and Feb, so plan a visit to Bentonville, AR soon to see this outstanding museum!

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 11:51:22 AM »
There was a review of the museum in the New York Times two or tree days ago and they seemed very positive overall.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/arts/design/crystal-bridges-the-art-museum-walmart-money-built-review.html