Author Topic: How Will Gas Prices Affect SDC?  (Read 9866 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
How Will Gas Prices Affect SDC?
« on: April 23, 2008, 10:57:48 PM »
SDC has been sending out more surveys lately to select season pass holders, asking how rising gas prices will affect travel plans. I'll bet the reality of $4+ gas is really hurting SDC. Quite a few SDC patrons come from several states away, but many of them won't be coming until gas goes down or they get a better transport solution. Surely SDC's attendance will have a constant dampener on it from now until gas drops again, but how long will that be? If it takes too long, will SDC scale back expansion plans?

I kinda doubt they'll do anything too drastic, but I'm sure we'll see all sorts of evidence of them trying to cut corners - not in a bad way though. Then again, the season seems to be off to an amazing start already, so how much will gas have to cost before people will stop hitting up SDC?

As for myself, I'm cutting back on my driving, but SDC will always be pretty high up on my priorities. I really just want to get an Aptera so I won't have to worry about filling up again.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: How Will Gas Prices Affect SDC?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:38:54 AM »
SDC went into this season prepared for the higher gas prices. They have cut corners already and are being very cautious, which is wise. The positive thing for travelers is, Branson is located within a day’s drive of most of the U.S.’s population, and that is a good thing for SDC and Branson. People might not drive the long journey to Walt Disney World this year or fly to the west coast, but they can travel to Branson for less then the other places. I really hope this works to their advantage. 

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 08:28:10 AM »
Holy cow! I'd never heard of an Aptera before, so looked it up just now... 230 mpg at 55mph??? I WANT! :D

My sis, friend, and I are taking a daytrip to SDC next Wednesday; we're going in the morning and coming back that night in order to keep from paying for accommodations; we're also taking a backpack full of food from our own houses in order to keep from paying for food... All this just so that we can split the cost of gas three ways and be able to afford going down (since all three of us are rather strapped for cash).

I am definitely glad Branson is only 4 hours away. At least a daytrip is actually reasonable.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 09:26:32 AM »
Holy cow! I'd never heard of an Aptera before, so looked it up just now... 230 mpg at 55mph??? I WANT! :D

My sis, friend, and I are taking a daytrip to SDC next Wednesday; we're going in the morning and coming back that night in order to keep from paying for accommodations; we're also taking a backpack full of food from our own houses in order to keep from paying for food... All this just so that we can split the cost of gas three ways and be able to afford going down (since all three of us are rather strapped for cash).

I am definitely glad Branson is only 4 hours away. At least a daytrip is actually reasonable.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

I'm glad SDC is prepared, but I've found that people will cut back to be able to make enjoyable trips like ones to SDC.  Becky, your upcoming trip is a perfect example.  People get creative by carpooling, making day trips (even if they are long), and bringing their own food.  So I really don't think SDC will see a significant drop in attendance or revenue this year due to gas prices.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 09:28:25 AM »
I don't think it will affect our traveling that much, because that is just what we do.  We'll just have to suck it up and realize that it will cost more to do so.
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 09:48:15 AM »
I can't remember who said it, but I think it's true.  Most Americans save like there's no tomorrow, and spend like there's no tomorrow.  If they normally spend their money in Branson and SDC, then I think they'll continue to do so no matter if gas prices are high.  They'll find a way to make their traditional trips to SDC and Branson.

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 09:54:38 AM »
I live 2 hrs from SDC and it is a little spooky thinking that it costs $50 in gass to get there and back.  I'm a teacher, so we're not rich- but not poor.  $50 is definately something to think about.  We get into the park on season passports. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 12:18:40 PM »
Wow, you car must get really poor gas mileage if you only live 2 hrs away and it costs that much to get there and back.  We live about 5 hours away and it costs us that much.  :-\
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 02:58:36 PM »
Well, it all depends on how new or old a person's car is. I've estimated the cost of our gas at $3.40 a gallon at 20mpg (which is pretty high for my friend's car, and a bit low for my sister's; we're not sure yet whose vehicle we're taking), and it looks like we'll be paying about $75 for gas for our trip; we're coming from Independence, a four hour drive.

I sure wish we had an ethanol-powered vehicle to drive; the cost of E85 at a nearby station is only $2.85 (last I saw it).

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »
We always try to save when we go.  We do stay in a Motel (Branson Motor Court Downtown).  It is not the Ritz but the beds are clean and the people are nice.  After tax it is $40 per night with 2 beds.  With 4 of us it is only 10 per night per person.  Not bad.  We take a little Mocrowave we got at a gradge sale, Ice chest of pop, and a coffee maker.  Bagles for Breakfast and away we go to SDC for the day.  I live about 4 and 1/2 hours away and our SUV gets 27mpg...   I just filled up for $67...  ouch.  One tank there and one tank back.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 06:54:05 PM »
It's just too bad that we have virtually no cross-country transportation in this country. When I lived in England, I could go anywhere in the UK just by stepping out my door and walking down to the bus station. Here it's either driving or flying - there aren't even any bus lines that I could use. Sad...

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 09:30:19 PM »
Yeah, I mean, they've got Greyhound, but good luck getting one to Branson.

And MAN! I went out tonight to look for some swimwear, and in the time I was gone, the gas prices went from $3.39 to $3.47! This is OUTRAGEOUS.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

sdcforever

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 08:27:47 AM »
We always try to save when we go.  We do stay in a Motel (Branson Motor Court Downtown).  It is not the Ritz but the beds are clean and the people are nice.  After tax it is $40 per night with 2 beds.  With 4 of us it is only 10 per night per person.  Not bad.  We take a little Mocrowave we got at a gradge sale, Ice chest of pop, and a coffee maker.  Bagles for Breakfast and away we go to SDC for the day.  I live about 4 and 1/2 hours away and our SUV gets 27mpg...   I just filled up for $67...  ouch.  One tank there and one tank back.

We usually stay in the Blue Bayou Motor Inn.  It's definitely not the Ritz, but it's comfortable.  The Starvin' Marvin's Restaurant at the Inn is pretty good too.  The room rate is $60/night.  We drive a Focus and for a 4 and 1/2 hour drive it takes about 3/5 of a tank to get down to Branson, so our gas mileage I think is pretty good.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 09:40:41 AM »
Um, why don't you guys use Priceline and get a motel for under $40 bucks -- a name brand hotel at that?  That's how we roll.  ???
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 11:34:31 AM »
^Sometimes we do.  It's been a few years since we've stayed at the Blue Bayou.  We have a relative that lives in Springfield, so we've been staying with her when we go to Branson.  Looks like she'll be moving in the next 6 months, so we'll have to keep Priceline in mind.  Depends on how our finances are, since we really like the Blue Bayou!  :)