Author Topic: Branson Scenic Railway  (Read 3735 times)

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
Branson Scenic Railway
« on: August 22, 2011, 01:41:39 PM »
We are planning a Branson Trip for Sept. 10 & 11. In all these years I have never been on the Branson Scenic Railway. We are thinking about getting tickets for the Dinner train on Sat night.
What are y'alls thoughts on the train, good...bad...or other; and especially those who have done the dinner train.
We are just looking for something different to do in Branson, and that was on our "to do" list!
Thanks for y'alls input!  :)
You have a great past just ahead of you.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Branson Scenic Railway
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 02:17:13 PM »
I have never been yet,  mother in law has done both.  said the scenic ride is GREAT!.  the dinner/ride is waaayy  overated!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 03:16:05 PM »
My wife and I rode the scenic route last summer. It was nice. But, now we've been there and done that. I understand the "Polar Express" tour they do for kids at Christmas is nice, and thought that our grandkids would love it.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 03:23:34 PM »
I was thinking about about the Polar Express this morning! I went outside, and heard a train (not Frisco unfortunately)and was imagining what if I was to walk outside, and have Frisco pull up to my door and take me to SDC!!!

Okay now back to the topic, my parents went on it a few years back, and loved seeing a different part of the Ozarks.

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 09:23:48 PM »
Have been on the Branson Railway several times.  Unfortunately it's a "been there and done that" kind of attraction. It can be very relaxing riding the train, but if there are a lot of kids on your ride, it can be just the opposite.  My last ride was this past summer during the hottest days the town experienced.  Our ride was cut short because the track master closed down the line because the rails were expanding because of the heat.  Good thing too because the car we were in had the observation deck and the air in the car couldnt keep up with the heat from all the glass windows.

I took my nephews on the Polar Express and had a fantastic time.  No better way to see the lights in my opinion.  If you can afford it, do the dining car with the refreshments.  My oldest nephew downed 5 large cups of hot chocolate and our waiter finally just brought a plate of cookies to our table and a jug of hot chocolate.

The highlight was when Santa arrived and signed our Polar Express books and gave the kids their gift.  The entire trip was the highlight of our Christmas....the nephews still talk about it.  Needless to say the bell definitely still rings for me.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 09:35:35 PM »
You sounded a lot like Ferris there for a minute..."If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up"

The Polar express was pretty good, unfortunately I tore the pocket on my robe and made it home with a full stomach (on the verge of a stomach ache) I was tired, AND I was empty handed.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 08:37:33 AM »
Oh wow. I'm gonna look into that Polar Express thing. That'd be perfect to take my niece to.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »
I was thinking about about the Polar Express this morning! I went outside, and heard a train (not Frisco unfortunately)and was imagining what if I was to walk outside, and have Frisco pull up to my door and take me to SDC!!!

Okay now back to the topic, my parents went on it a few years back, and loved seeing a different part of the Ozarks.

If that were to happen Rube,the Frisco would be the Polar Express.  Given it's average speed it ought to get you from St. Louis to SDC about the start of OTC!  :D
I'm Your Huckleberry

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 09:01:05 PM »
All aboard...just remember no lollygaggin!