Author Topic: What's That?  (Read 20206 times)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: What's That?
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2011, 09:03:44 AM »
this log running business sounds awesome! cant wait to see it!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2011, 10:31:04 AM »
Log rolling was pretty awesome. I remember it down by the waterfall. It's all kinda fuzzy though. That was more than a few shots of moonshine back.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2011, 10:37:52 AM »
I was discussing this with my step dad and he said that they used to do it when I was knee high to a pigs eye. So I dont remember this at all. Its sad when your so young you dont member the good stuff!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2011, 01:06:23 PM »
The log rolling contests/demonstrations were VERY popular in the early to mid-80s. Known "citizen" Richard Young, a.k.a. Tiny Doolittle, was the master of ceremonies. Richard had a high profile in the first few years he worked on park. His photo was in the brochure and guidebooks published at the time. Previous to working at SDC, he played characters at Dogpatch, USA at Harrison, AR. I think he played Earthquake McGoon there. In the last several years Richard has worked the lines at the saloon and opera house. He does a really good job. He has been in poor health over the last few years, but is still working on park as far as I know. He is a noted author, having penned numerous storytelling collections with wife Aunt Judy. (Judy Dockery Young) who works as the storyteller at the McHaffie Homestead.
-
Good to see the log rolling coming back. I'm sure it will be as popular as ever.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"