Author Topic: What's That?  (Read 20190 times)

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: What's That?
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2011, 01:12:38 AM »
They're  preparing for the new shows next year. They're hiring the two new stars of America's Got Talent , Professor Splash, to nose dive into Lake Silver every hour on the hour, and the Kintic King to build the biggest stick bomb ever made that will cover the entire city for Kid's Feast. HA!
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2011, 07:55:31 AM »
Regarding the depth of Lake Silver: Seems like one of our current "insiders," perhaps Zephon, posted on the site a few months ago that the lake is a plugged sinkhole that goes to Marvel Cave. At the deepest levels, the lake is about 15 to 20 feet. I can attest that 10 to 15 feet away from the old wharf of the diving bell the water is only about three to four feet. On my last day of work in 1983 my fellow "Juniors" as a goodbye prank tossed me into the lake! I did a flip, landed on my feet. I was drenched. Folks watching from the area around where "Dugan's Trading Company" is today applauded the activities!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2011, 09:24:49 AM »
It's pretty deep out in the middle, maybe 20' or so. There where that platform is, maybe 8' or so. Around the edges are mud shoals that aren't very deep. Junior, I don't think it was me that said it was a sinkhole leading to the cave, maybe someone else. I've never even heard that.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2011, 09:42:45 AM »
Here is a pic, Bottom right hand side. http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertburton620/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:43:31 AM by bobber620 »
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2011, 10:07:01 AM »
hmmm very peculiar!!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2011, 02:11:12 PM »
Well if it is for something like the lumberjack show it doesn't make much sense because there is no real shoreline big enough for a good amount of spectators. Not saying i don't think that's what its for just that if it is it is going to create more crowd problems there. Well i am off to the city now!
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 03:01:12 PM »
So it was just put there recently?  If they did it now, you'd think it would be something that was going to happen this year, not next, or else they would just do it in the off-season.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2011, 09:12:20 PM »
I have a pic of the platform on the shoreline, as well.  I figured they would work in concert with one another.  Originally, I thought perhaps a concrete pillar was being poured inside the thing, but it doesn't seem to be such.

'Glad I could offer a big shot of speculation for everyone!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »
Apparently I was wrong with my log rolling guess.  This is from the SDC Press Releases for 9/1/2011:

"Silver Dollar City kicks off the National Harvest Festival with all-new outdoor adventures including Timberworks Lumberjack Shows featuring performances such as speed racing up 40-foot poles, cross-cut sawing, ax throwing and boom running on Lake Silver;"

What is "boom running"?  I found this on the Penn State website:

"Boom running is a sport "in which the competitor must run across a string of logs attached end to end in the water. The object is to run across the log boom, around an obstacle and back faster than opponent(s)," according to logrolling.org"

Sounds like this may solve the platform mystery.
I'm Your Huckleberry

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2011, 07:58:16 PM »
Being a runner, I like the boom run. It is fast paced, wet, and potentially dangerous since the logs are moving, wet, and the runner is wearing sharp , lengthy track spikes. It stems from the need for loggers to move from log to log quickly while sending them to the mill down river.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2011, 09:08:06 AM »
That sounds like a great addition. Since I climb poles for a living I'd love to see that. Wonder where its going to be?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2011, 09:26:21 AM »
now I really wanna go to the best festival EVER!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
now I really wanna go to the best festival EVER!!!

Agreed. Whether it involves the platform, or not it sounds like one hoot of a show! :)

eagle1

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »
It does sound fun! Still wishing they would bring back the log rolling.... :'( Wonder if I learned how to do if they would re-consider???  ??? Again...dreaming.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 02:45:16 PM »
whatever they do, I am looking forward to a great fall festival.  already have 2 trips planned. ;D

I just wish they were open on monday, and closed on tues-wed.. ::) ::)