Author Topic: sdc at christmas  (Read 9870 times)

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: sdc at christmas
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 02:54:07 PM »
SDC at christmas...it's hard to go and NOT have fun.  Glad to hear you already made the decision to go.  Here's my list of "can't miss" events that I enjoy... The buffet at Molly's Mill (it's as close as you will ever get to thanksgiving or christmas dinner at a theme park), the dicken's christmas show, listening to/watching the giant tree on the square, listening to the homestead pickers squak about listening to the giant tree on the square, the train with "grandpa", anything that involves photos ops and christmas lights.  One year my wife and I stayed at one of the log cabins @ SDC campground.  We brought a lot of firewood and had the fireplace going the entire time.  We had a blast, but I urge you to check the prices if you are considering a log cabin with fireplace, they can be pricey, we were only able to stay one night.  Dress warm and be sure to invest in single use chemical hand warmers that you can pick up at any sporting goods store.
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »
I have never been to SDC for Christmas. This will be my first time. I can't wait

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »
Ya' all have got to QUIT talking about OTC! 

This is still august, 103 degrees here today, and thanks to you I am getting all nervous and wanting to make plans for fall festival and OTC>>!!! 

MAN!!!  YOUR KILLING ME!!!!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 09:36:37 PM »
You will love it Okie. Try the Hot CHocolate (go for "the works"-marshmallows, whipped cream chocolate chips and a candy cane stirrer) or the Hot Wassail (my personal favorite)

It is really looking less and less possible that I will be making it to the park for OTC this year...we will see.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 11:30:12 PM »
75 Days until OTC!!!!!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 08:26:04 AM »
PARSON!!!!! :o :o

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 09:27:36 AM »
holoy crap on a stick I am ready!!!! Im r waeady Im ready!!! the wassail is calling my name quite loudly I must say!!!!!  :D
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 07:52:47 PM »
Ah! I can help with this one!  I can't stand being cold, and when you spend some of your time in a wheelchair there's fewer calories burning.  I always take heat packs with me.  Tuck them in your hat, gloves, and shoes.  They also make the sticky ones to stick on your shoulders!  Ahhh! If it's really cold, wear thin long underwear - keeps you from feeling too bulky.  Try skinny gloves under your mittens.  Lots of folks carry a small blanket around the park with them.  SDC at Christmas time is Magical! 

My best bit of advice - they don't put lids on hot drinks, so...by a mug or bring one with you.  Wassail is HOT! when someone bumps into you and it lands everywhere!!

Kind of fun thinking about being cold!  The school where I teach in not air conditioned, and it was 103 at 2:00 this afternoon!  Yikes!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 08:52:39 PM »
I'd rather sweat than shiver any day. but SDC OTC is the rare exception to this rule!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
YOUR ALL NUTS!!!!   LOL..  of course thats why we get along so well here....

SO!  today i got out my christmas and checked the battaries, and it lit right up. 

So i am ready for cold weather, OTC and a fresh HOT drink!

Have not dug out warm clothes....... "yet".  but I know where they are!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 10:23:16 AM »
Yeah, you guys go off, and daydream about Christmas, I am leaving to enjoy my Fall Harvest Festival! ;D

Fall is my favorite time of the year, but I will admit, Christmas at Silver Dollar City is just the cats meow of special times. It’s all about family. :)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 11:15:47 AM »
Fall is my favorite time of year as well.  And if you think about it, the majority of the OTC occurs in the fall, since winter doesn't technically begin until Dec. 22.

72 days until OTC!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 09:02:28 PM »
I do agree with you there Parson. Fall is by far my favorite season, bith otdoors, as well as at SDC. SOmething about the pumpkins, and leaves, and the festival...SDC OTC is a close second though!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 08:12:51 AM »
It is a special time at SDC. Vienna Boys Choir, chill in the air, all the lights, good food, the Haygoods did a Christmas Show at one time, those are some of my memories over the years.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 10:56:05 AM »
Finally seeing the Dicken's show and upon leaving the Opera House in which there was fake snow...we exited to real snow beginning to fall.

Seeing John Davidson filming his Christmas Special back in the 80's(though it was in the Fall) was exciting.