Author Topic: SDC Ride Accessibility Policy  (Read 4256 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
SDC Ride Accessibility Policy
« on: August 20, 2011, 09:28:25 PM »
Does anyone take issue with SDC's new policy of handing out passports for those of us that are "disabled" and would like to enjoy the rides?  Many rides have a separate "handicapped entrance".  In the past this would allow you to get on a ride w/o waiting and also allow you to ride twice.  The new policy is to enter the handicapped entrance, get a time stamped in your passport (which is equal to the wait time of the general public standing in line), and come back at the designated entrance at said time.  I don't mind waiting at all, but...that means that if you need
a chaperone or happen to be using a wheelchair, someone is probably pushing you up and down ramps, getting the passport stamped, pushing you back down the ramp to wait out the designated time, and then pushing you back up/down the ramp to get on the ride.  On shorter wait times, by the time we left the ramped area it was time to turn around and go back.  My husband was exhausted by the time he pushed me up/down the ramp twice at American Plunge just to get on the ride.  On the lost river boats we stood in line for an hour to get my passport stamped (ride time - return in 1 hr.) and discovered that the rest of our party had already finished riding before my "designated ride time", so we just left.  I would not mind waiting for awhile at the handicapped entrance, but the new plan is ver discouraging for the poor chaperone that has to do everything twice!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC Ride Accessibility Policy
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:29:40 AM »
Hmmmm?  interesting dilema.  Sounds like they park triedto help the situation, But didn"t.  Good intentions.  They need to concentrate a little harder and work out the details. Hopefully they will and you can contunue enjoying yourself.

I also like your comment you made about GM. :)

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »
I personaly did not see anything wrong with the old policy, i never minded waiting an extra 5 min for someone who was disabled too ride before me.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 12:48:00 PM by Avalanche04 »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 02:01:51 PM »
Don't mind it. There are plenty of trade offs that allow those who can get around more easily. Those confined to walkers, wheelchairs, scooters etc. must alter paths to navigate the park, and take longer to do the same tasks, so I see no problem.

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 03:44:51 PM »
I also agree that I had no issue with the old way of accommodating the disabled or special needs patrons that visit the park. I mean come on, how many of us have been standing in line at a ride and the ride attendants start asking for a single, or group of two and sometimes three, to fill a ride to capacity before sending it out. With the old way of doing things the attendents would look first at the exit line for a patron of need to fill that spot. If none were there then they would address the crowd in the line to try and fill that spot. Or at least that was always my observation. I honestly hadn't even heard of this new policy until I read about it here. If I were in need of a little bit of accommodation to be able to access a ride I do believe that I would be apauled at the "Hey you are different so you need to come back at a special time so we can accommodate you." type of talk that seems to be in effect now. That is not the Silver Dollar City I grew up with and still love.  Lets Face it they are paying patrons just as much as you and I and should be afforded the same enjoyment that the rest of us enjoy. Sorry about the rant!!
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 04:12:15 PM »
During the last week of July when I went, we were in line for Thunderation, and were asked (not told) if we were okay wth someone accessing the ride from the handicapped entrance. Granted, we were the front car and had waited a reasonable amount of time, we did not care.
As a public school teacher, I know we do alot to help kids understand the needs and abilities of others...and the lines at theme parks ALWAYS brings up a debate among middle schoolers, they only see black and white, no shades of grey...but through discussions, they begin to see other situations, and begin to form their own ideas not simply based on jealousy of a lost spot on a ride, but about the bigger picture.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 07:08:02 PM »
Don't mind it. There are plenty of trade offs that allow those who can get around more easily. Those confined to walkers, wheelchairs, scooters etc. must alter paths to navigate the park, and take longer to do the same tasks, so I see no problem.

I think the OP is disagreeing with the new system of accommodating them where they get a stamp and come back and a designated time instead of the old system where they would use the accessible entrance and get on the ride the next time around. 
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 07:13:50 PM »
Ahhh I understand, I was reading it wrong, thanks for the clarification Larson.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 11:04:38 AM »
Wow, talk about over complicating an old policy that worked just fine. Was there really that many complaints in regards to the old way of doing things? Granted, I could understand someone’s frustration if after waiting over thirty minutes on a hot summer day to ride an attraction, and then for someone who may only be slightly disabled to jump ahead in line.

However, after all of my visits to Silver Dollar City, I cannot recall one time where I had to wait in line longer, because of a disabled guest. Regardless, it’s not really that big of a deal.

For example, let’s say a group of disabled people all decided to ride Thunderation at the same time. There were just enough disabled people to fill each seat on the entire ride. Okay, this is starting to sound like a 7th Grade arithmetic problem. However, the point is a normal guest will only have to wait one additional train ride. That’s just a couple of minutes.

I think this new policy inconveniences things more, and creates additional delays. Under the old policy, as long as the disabled person did not take advantage of jumping ahead in line, I do not believe there would have been a problem.

crsjrr

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 11:55:12 AM »
We were at SDC a few weeks ago and my sister utilized the new system.   In glancing at her form they stamp, it looks like you can only ride each ride once this way?  Or you could just pick up a new form once you have filled the form out.   My sister was using a crutch so it wasn't as difficult to visit each ride to get a ride time assigned.  I could see traveling around the park in a wheel chair to visit each ride once to sign up for a ride time, then going back and revisiting each ride to actually ride as tiring and problematic.  We were glad there was a policy to utilize, yet maybe it is to complicated.   

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 06:42:11 PM »
The whole group need not enter to get the designated ride time; send one person to each ride and get a time and then return and start riding.  It is good for a group of up to six and the disabled guest must be riding with the group.