Author Topic: Grandfather's Mansion Fire  (Read 24844 times)

zachsmom

• View Profile
Re: Grandfather's Mansion Fire
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2011, 10:12:22 AM »
There are some posts on their facebook page about, not sure if they are yours or not.  You have to hit the "recent posts" at the top of their wall to see them

Here's a link

https://www.facebook.com/Silverdollarcity?sk=wall&filter=1

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2011, 11:13:40 AM »
I must not have been looking in the right place. They did respond to my post and said grandfathers mansion is open as scheduled. Good news!
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2011, 11:24:26 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
You have a great past just ahead of you.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
yes, i got an answer also.. NO damage to Gm and is open as usual... ;D

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2011, 05:32:57 PM »
Very glad it wasn't damaged. now about that waterfall  ::)

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 09:26:02 AM »
However, if it was in fact a larger fire and it did do some damage, I don't know how the park would even be able to open the mansion back up again without solving the ADA issue.

ADA issue? what's that?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 09:49:54 AM »
American's with Disabilities Act (Specifiacally Title III- Public Accomodations-and commercial facilities) no individual may be discriminated against on the basis of disability with regards to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation by any person who owns, leases (or leases to), or operates a place of public accommodation. Title III also has application to existing facilities. One of the definitions of "discrimination" under Title III of the ADA is a "failure to remove" architectural barriers in existing facilities.

There are exceptions to this title; many private clubs and religious organizations may not be bound by Title III. With regard to historic properties (those properties that are listed or that are eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places, or properties designated as historic under State or local law), those facilities must still comply with the provisions of Title III of the ADA to the "maximum extent feasible" but if following the usual standards would "threaten to destroy the historic significance of a feature of the building" then alternative standards may be used.

This means (in my mind) that seeing that the GM is a historic Tilt house that only a handful of these are remaining in the US, this structure does not need to comply  due to the age, and significance of the stucture as it would destroy the significance of the structure. This means that if it WERE damaged, then it would, by law HAVE to comply with the standards of ADA leaving the tilt house a thing of the past.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:50:57 AM by rubedugans »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2011, 03:22:54 PM »
This means (in my mind) that seeing that the GM is a historic Tilt house that only a handful of these are remaining in the US, this structure does not need to comply  due to the age, and significance of the stucture as it would destroy the significance of the structure. This means that if it WERE damaged, then it would, by law HAVE to comply with the standards of ADA leaving the tilt house a thing of the past.

The ADA is easily (and often!) abused by lawsuit trolls. It's spawned an entire industry of "victims" and their advocates. (Victims of access discrimination can't get monetary compensation under federal law, but their lawyers are awarded all fees and expenses.) It's also frequently misunderstood; I think we've touched on the issue before when it came to Marvel Cave.

Here is some good reading:
http://access-board.gov/recreation/guides/amuse.htm
http://www.ada.gov/t3hilght.htm (See "IV. Eligibility for Goods and Services")

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:23:59 PM by KBCraig »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2011, 09:01:02 PM »
I have had to become VERY familiar with the ADA lately in a different aspect. As an IWS in one of the largest school districts in MO. I am responsible for assuring all content is compliant, and if not...it's my butt! Mine only limits font sizes, colors, Alt Text must be on all images, and a few other things. Not too tough, but I am always aware of it.

The Cave wouold be on the register of historic Places...which could exempt it. But you WILL NOT see anything like the old tilt houses like GM built this way ever again.

The staircase leading down towards John's Room would need to be replased with a lift of some sort, and I cannot imagine a tilt room ADA accessible. I do believe repairs can be made, just no fulloverhauling...am I wrong here? I would believe a % of the building would need to remain original in order to remain ...well original and keep exempt status. Just thinking out loud here.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2011, 09:40:07 PM »
If GM is not accessible - it's not accessible! There isn't any reason to change it for the few of us that can't manage to enter and enjoy it safely.  I can no longer visit GM, but I don't want it changed or restructured if it's going to take away the integrity of it.  I would rather it be left as is for those that can enjoy it.  There are plenty of other things to do in the park.  People need to use common sense.   

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2011, 09:24:12 AM »
gilligan,  WELCOME to the site..   

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
first of all gilligan welcome too the site. i wouldnt want too see anything changed my self.

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2011, 01:39:38 PM »
As we already know per the SDC officials on Facebook, I am here to confirm that as of our day trip on 20 Aug 2011 that GM is up and running and packed to the rafters with SDC patrons. The only thing that was amiss was that the " Rocking Room" was not working. Which is not an unusual thing.
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2011, 01:51:46 PM »
Welcome as well Gilligan!

Also Bobber, when I was there the last week in July, the first room (the rocking room) was not working either.

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2011, 03:46:46 PM »
Seems like it is hit or miss if it is running correctly LOL.
Also to Gilligan, Welcome Aboard!!!!
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER