Author Topic: Grandfather's Mansion Fire  (Read 24846 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfather's Mansion Fire
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 03:58:29 PM »
There is an entry for a large vehicle adjacent to the cave train track and hospitality house. Another entry is the area next to Brown's Candy Factory between it and funnel cakes. There are several others. They have to follow local, county, and state and federal laws about accessibility, they have more ways to get big vehicles into the park than you would think.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 04:57:15 PM »
I knew there would be a way just didn't know how. It seemed to me that right on the square would be the hardest to get to with a fire truck before I learned of the entry by Brown's Candy. I'm having a hard time picturing somewhere by the HH though. Is there a road between it and the homestead?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Saaam!

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • Celebration City-Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
It's kinda disappointing. I loved the Grandfather's Mansion. Let's hope it was nothing too serious...
| Formally "Thunderbolter" |

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »
I've heard no news on GM which means it's probably ok. The smoke bomb story seems very likely.

Large vehicles are driven on park all the time.  Fire trucks, cement trucks, etc. They even bring in a big crane when erecting the Christmas tree on the square. The bridge by blown glass carries the weight just fine. The crane comes up Hill Street through the gate by the Opera House.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 07:37:56 PM »
I've heard no news on GM which means it's probably ok. The smoke bomb story seems very likely.

Large vehicles are driven on park all the time.  Fire trucks, cement trucks, etc. They even bring in a big crane when erecting the Christmas tree on the square. The bridge by blown glass carries the weight just fine. The crane comes up Hill Street through the gate by the Opera House.

I suspected the bridge was more sturdy than it appears. (not that it appears flimsy! :) )
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 07:45:29 PM »
Now this is strange. I posted a question about this on their facebook page this afternoon. When I got home I didn't see the post. Thinking it was because I did it from my phone, I reposted form my laptop. Now that one's gone. ?????? Must be something they are wanting to get out.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 08:54:26 PM »
ok, i just left a question for them also on facebook.  lets see what happens.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 09:05:21 PM »
They've been deleting most messages about it. The reference from the SDCFans page is still showing up in their feed though...

Seems strange. I guess they don't want to release any info about it because it might entice other people to do similar stunts inside the mansion, and it could harm their reputation I guess.

No news is good news though, so long as the Mansion isn't closed this weekend.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2011, 09:18:22 PM »
Kind of like school violence, or negative youth stories on the news. Though they are important to safety to allow all to learn about the problem, news will avoid the stories to keep others from repeating the negative actions of others. They more than likely are working on squelching the negative PR and to avoid copy cats.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2011, 09:24:24 PM »
when i left a message on SDC site, it did not show up.... BUT there are NO new statements on their wall..,,

But when I went to the momsblog, the question posted,  soooooo ??? ???

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2011, 09:53:56 PM »
Kind of like school violence, or negative youth stories on the news. Though they are important to safety to allow all to learn about the problem, news will avoid the stories to keep others from repeating the negative actions of others. They more than likely are working on squelching the negative PR and to avoid copy cats.

When I was in 8th grade, a bunch of 7th grade boys let loose a bunch of snakes in the boy's bathroom. School was closed for 2 days to make sure none of the snakes got out of the bathroom and into other parts of the building.

People disappoint me. Why do people have to be so disrespectful?
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 11:12:05 PM »
If the rumored smoke bomb story pans out, that troubles me a bit. That means someone had premeditated the crime, and actually snuck fireworks into the park for the purpose of causing mischief.

One thing about it, Silver Dollar City is definitely pushing this story under the rug. However, the story isn't really high priority news for people who are not overly passionate about the park like we all are. ;)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2011, 07:27:13 AM »
Are we in the spin zone...or the no spin zone? ;)   Yeah, my guess is they are quelling any negative chatter and don't want copy cats. I tell you, if I had just paid full admission, I would not be stupid enough to risk being tossed out of the park and maybe into the Stone County Jail. Would not sacrifice my season pass for a stunt like this either. Some idiots just don't get it, do they? Why do something that could result in someone else being injured?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2011, 07:30:58 AM »
All I asked was "Is grandfathers mansion open? There's rumors going around of a fire or some problem there". I hadn't thought about the copy cat angle, but my question didn't say anything about it being intentional. Seems like they could have just replied with "everything's fine, it's open" instead of making the mystery bigger. When the tower at AP got hit by lightning last year, I don't think they were try to hide that.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2011, 07:35:34 AM »
Don't worry, nobody is coming down on you. All is well. We'd all like to have the same straightforward answer. Looks like nothing will be "officially" forthcoming on this topic. I understand though. Big companies all react the same when it comes to something that could be more trouble down the line. Silence is golden.