Author Topic: Grandfather's Mansion Fire  (Read 24843 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfather's Mansion Fire
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »
zachsmom,  thanks for the onsite report!.   Hopefully your details are accurate and the is no damage to GM

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 05:09:16 PM »
last time I was at GM one of my issues was that you could sea a security camera in the area before you go down the stairs. I even wondered if their was a real need for the camera. Apparently there is if some kid is inconsiderate and ignorant enough to ruin something fun for so many family. One of the reasons I love going down to SDC and Branson because you meet so many people that would bend over backwards to help you out compared to here in St.Louis. It just a shame that there are people that have no consideration for others and thing something like that is funny.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 05:55:59 PM »
One of the reasons I love going down to SDC and Branson because you meet so many people that would bend over backwards to help you out compared to here in St.Louis.

My plans after high school was to move to Branson because of that reason exactly! It's a more Christian community than where I live. There is a meth lab half a mile down the street from me, and somebody is always getting arrested for fights or drugs. I seriously witnessed 3 drugs deals in the girl's bathroom at school last year.

The reason I didn't move yet is because I have A+ money for college so I figured I would use that for the next two years then figure out what I'll do.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 06:08:32 PM »
There were incidents in the past (while I worked at SDC) when guests sometimes got extreme in their behavior. During a Young Christians Weekend one year, a bunch of kids jumped up and down on the swinging bridge until one cable gave way. No one was injured, but the bridge was closed for repairs for weeks. There were other incidents, too. Theft from shops, inconsiderate behavior while in line for attractions and shows, but to a limited amount only. I'm sure as the 1990's and the 2000's rolled through, there were more incidents, as that is unfortunately what we deal with in society today. Let's hope it was a smoke bomb only, and all is well with GM!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 02:32:08 PM »
I'm also hoping that this is just a minor situation. It is just a huge pet peeve of mine when inconsiderate idiots ruin things for other people, which is what could've happened here. It is just uncalled for.

Glad to hear no one was hurt at least.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 04:13:11 PM »
well??   Anybody been back to the city?  Able to verify actual damage or not?  zephon?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »
Will anyone be going soon to check if Grandfather's Mansion has reopened? The park has been closed all week, so I assume if there was any damage it has been fixed now. Haven't heard anything from the park, and none of the news agencies picked up on the story, but something definitely happened because there have been tons of eyewitness accounts now.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »
We's be at the park Sat. Will TRY & make a pass thru G'pas Mansion but i cant promise ya anything, we gotta newbie goin' with us. I will take more pics, & when my video gets made & on YouTube, i'll post it. ;)
Live life like it's the last day!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 07:50:32 PM »
It’s interesting to read how everyone considers grandfather like family, and how much everyone truly cares about his mansion. When someone allegedly causes damage to something so beloved, it shows disrespect to us all.

The facts are certainly not in yet, but if damage was done, I hope grandfather has a speedy recovery! :)

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 08:01:11 PM »
we too will be at the park on Saturday, so we will check on the status as well. I'm sure we will be through that area as we are bringing our middle two children as well as a nephew that hasn't ever been to the City before. So if we find anything out I will be sure to post it.
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 08:14:55 PM »
I'm gonna try to be there next Saturday. Does anybody know which room it happened in, so I know where to pay extra attention?
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

lovemycondo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 08:34:06 AM »
We were at SDC during the incident at Grandfather’s mansion.  My husband sat down next to the exit to wait for the rest of us to go through.  But we found it closed instead. An employee at the entrance had the door closed and stated it was closed for a moment. We stood around a couple minutes and more employees showed up.  None went in the entrance but stood around talking outside.   My husband said while he was by the exit, one guy came out coughing and said he couldn’t be in there.  We took off and noticed the fire trucks showed up shortly after.  So the story about smoke bomb/fire crackers may be exactly what it was. 

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 12:44:41 PM »
I posted a question about this on their facebook page, we'll see if I get a response. As an aside, how would they get fire trucks actually in the park? They can't go through HH obviously, don't think theu could drive across the bridge(or maybe they can?) And they wouldn't fit under the train trestle.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

pintrader

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 01:08:41 PM »
There is at least 3 ways I know of getting vehicles into the park and probably more.  There is an entrance between FITH and the Opera House, also between Geyser Gulch and the old Splash Harbor, and also in the back of the Grand Exposition.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 02:34:16 PM »
yes, thats right . plenty of room for full size vehicles on cardiac hill, 

and i dont know about the weight capacity of bridge..probbaly would support a small engine/water truck..  Good question though ??? ???