Author Topic: "Lost" Silver Dollar City  (Read 12123 times)

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: "Lost" Silver Dollar City
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 10:09:25 AM »
those pictures are great. What I would not give sometimes to see it the way it was.
I do have a question the one that shows the city park. So was that in right before where the gazebo is and that was all grass.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 10:20:41 AM »
I would love to see the wagons and fancypants stuff again but it has me wondering even if they wanted to bring back the rainmaker and medicine wagons, would they be able to due to crowd levels and amount of space currently available?
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
The gazebo in the photo of the park is the one that was there until they tore it down and built the one in place now. They reduced the green area of the park to add more seating. The water feature of the big ole metal bucket was in place for decades until it rusted out and they removed it.
---
Could they bring back the Rainmaker? Yes. They could make room for it, it would be no problem. The problem would be would they want to fund the cost of a "character" or employee to fill the roll, and the cost of the insurance for the mule to pull the wagon, plus upkeep of the wagon. It would still be a high impact, low cost show for them to do, but you must convince management. My guess is the current management is not interested in bringing it back full time...otherwise they would have.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 01:54:25 PM »
The Medicine Wagon show would probably be considered politically uncorrect today as the patient medicine sales pitch concluded with the sale of "candy" medicine. If they left that part out it could probably be OK.

Both the Rainmaker and the Medicine Wagon Show consisted of hucksters who tried to bilk the public into buying their product...rain, or a patient medicine that cured everything from a sore tooth to ailments that come with old age. Both shows were fantastic, and were big crowd pleasers. However, they both belong to the romantic past history of Silver Dollar City. Just like the Boxing Show, Carrie A. Nation Saloon Show, Hatifield Haint Show, Courthouse Theater Show, and many other acts ranging from knife throwers to puppet shows that you just won't or will seldom see at the park today.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

LadyDrifter

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 02:11:10 PM »
Thank you for sharing the pictures.  I thoroughly enjoyed looking at them.  :)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »
I'd agree with you regarding Wayne. Can anyone tell me what he is up to now? Last time I saw him was five to 8 years ago. He worked with Terry Sanders doing comedy at the theater located where that Grand Buffet is located...the place with the mini golf inside and a big game room.
Wayne is working at the Kirby VanBurch Theater.  I believe he's doing pre-show entertainment.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 10:09:14 PM »
Thanks for the update, Zephon!
I'm Your Huckleberry

Saaam!

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • Celebration City-Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 05:23:52 PM »
Does anyone remember how wet you used to get at Geyser Gultch? I used to love to go there with my cousins when I was 7 or so, and we'd end up drenched after getting out. What ever happened to all the water?
| Formally "Thunderbolter" |

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 05:43:19 PM »
I am proof you can still get very wet at geyser gulch

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 01:17:33 PM »
also another thought on the medicine man show.....would that infringe on humanas rights?

The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 05:12:47 PM »
If they drank the special elixir they may not need insurance, right  ;)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 04:11:55 PM »
Very soon I will have to "purge" some of my photos on Flickr to make room for new photos. If you want to see the shots of "lost" SDC, please take a look at them as they will soon disappear! (Don't worry, I'll post some of them again in the future.)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 05:58:34 PM »
Due to a lack of space on my Flickr site, there "Lost" SDC photos have been purged. Don't fret, though. They will return at some time in the future.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 11:41:25 AM »
Due to a lack of space on my Flickr site, there "Lost" SDC photos have been purged. Don't fret, though. They will return at some time in the future.
Just as long as you don't loose the lost photo's!
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 04:11:39 PM »
Everything that has ever been posted here is tucked away in a file cabinet or if digital is stored on the computer and sometimes a back up disc. Nothing has been lost...in  fact, there is alot of things in my files that have never been posted! Someday what was deleted from Flickr will return. Someday what you have not see will be posted.  :)