Author Topic: "Lost" Silver Dollar City  (Read 12142 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
"Lost" Silver Dollar City
« on: August 04, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »
The photos were taken in 1969, and were published in 1970 in the SDC Guidebook offered for sale at the Hospitality House. The photos featured in this series are of "lost" arts and crafts and attractions that were at Silver Dollar City over 40 years ago. The photos were taken the summer that the Beverly Hillbillies visited. I first visited SDC in 1970 with my family when I was 8 years old. The photos depict the SDC I knew as a kid. Hope you like what you see...          http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
Re: "Lost" Silver Dollar City
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 04:41:58 PM »
Those are some great pictures! I like seeing how the City was back in the day! I wish it was still like that!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 04:44:52 PM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 04:51:13 PM »
I've added a few more photos "Even More Lost SDC" photos are from the SDC guidebook released in 1976, and most of the photos were taken in 1975.  Enjoy.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 05:19:02 PM »
great pics.

and looks like the 1st medicine wagon is the one granny was selling her "mud" bath from. 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »
The two photos of the medicine wagon are of the same wagon. Old photo shot in '69, new photo in '75. I think if you look next to Carrie's Candles on your next trip,  you will see the medicine wagon in it's current location. Although, I admit, the paint job is not as bright and the signage is removed. The medicine wagon spent the '80s and '90s used in various capacities at SDC, TN, later Dollywood. Don't know when it came back to SDC, MO, but I noticed it in August of last year when I visited for the first time in a few years, and it was still there at the end of June when I last was there.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 06:01:50 PM »
I'll loov for it the next time I make it there

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 06:30:18 PM »
you mentioned that the other day.

I will be there sunday morning for a while.  i am going to check it out.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 08:16:23 PM »
Great pictures, Junior!  1969 was my first year at SDC too.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 09:45:16 PM »
Those are great, Junior. Thanks for posting them. They brought back some memories for me as a lot of that stuff was still there when I started.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 11:33:09 PM »
I will have to post some shots from the '78 and the '83 guidebooks, and try to find a few photos of Zephon when he was one of those singing bartenders at the saloon...Oh, the Parson in the Wilderness Church today...he was one of those singing bartenders, too! I guess he is "reformed." Maybe Carry A. Nation knew what she was doing after all!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 01:46:43 PM »
In years past the employees, or "citizens" of SDC played an important role. I wanted to spotlight a dozen of those citizens from the 1970s and 1980s who were some of the fabulous people I got to work with each day. You will recognize some of these folks from your family vacation decades ago. I hope to honor them here, as they were some wonderful people, talented, each and every one of them, at what it was they did. Check out the Flickr site listed at the top of the thread.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 05:49:07 AM »
Love it! I remember most of those faces, but the only one I could have called by name was Arkie Phillips (R.I.P.)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 08:25:51 PM »
I still think Wayne Milnes was one of the most talented, funny performers to ever work at the City.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 08:31:38 AM »
I'd agree with you regarding Wayne. Can anyone tell me what he is up to now? Last time I saw him was five to 8 years ago. He worked with Terry Sanders doing comedy at the theater located where that Grand Buffet is located...the place with the mini golf inside and a big game room.

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »
What's in the spot where the basketweaving was?? Is it just a bare spot or is the structure boarded up??
Andymeets1880s