Author Topic: CC/Roaring Falls Opening  (Read 6791 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
CC/Roaring Falls Opening
« on: April 17, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
So the big opening day for Roaring Falls and CC's 6th season is tomorrow. Who's going? I really, really want to know how Roaring Falls turned out; even though it's a comparatively small ride, it's the biggest thing Branson is getting this year thrill-wise, as well as the biggest thing CC has gotten yet.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
Re: CC/Roaring Falls Opening
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 08:34:49 AM »
Pointless trivia but Roaring Falls is the name of the waterfall behind the lumber camp. Its whole name is "The Roaring Falls Lumber Camp".  SDC's Recycling program?
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

sdcforever

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 09:02:01 AM »
Not to get too far off track, but since the Roaring Falls at SDC has been brought up I heard that they might be taking out the waterfall in the next few years.  Is that true?  I'm also curious how CC's Roaring Falls holds up.  Please fill us all in if you get a chance to ride it this weekend!  :)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 05:33:09 PM »
Didn't ride it but went to the park -- will have photos sometime this weekend online.  The Amazon theme is really understated and if you didn't know about it, you wouldn't know that that was what it was themed to.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 05:34:33 PM »
^So what was the theming like then? Was it pulled off well? How did it fit in with the park.

Can't wait to see the photos.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 12:26:20 PM »
Very nice. Still though, while I like the ride itself, the theming just doesn't work with the rest of the park. It's not like it really matters to anyone that isn't totally into the park, but it just doesn't feel like you're in Celebration City. Whatever though, it's a recognizable theme that will sit well with most people. I just hope they try to uphold some type of park theme in the future, it really does help the experience.

It looks quite a bit larger than I thought it would though, even though it's still just a lift, drop, and splash.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 03:11:59 PM »
Wow. That looks a lot better than I expected it to actually.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

CJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 04:02:40 PM »
OT: Was Shute d' Chutes open?  They still don't have it listed on their website.

On Topic: The ride looks great!  I don't think the theming takes too much away from the park.  It's next to the boardwalk and that could have animal stuff all over it.  The boardwalk can technically be themed to anything they want it to be.

Although, I still think this is one of their tests.  Remember, I mentioned the Wild Adventures thing before.  What if they're testing the animal theme of the attraction?  Just a thought...

sdcforever

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 05:36:27 PM »
The ride does look really great!  It's a tried-and-true type of ride; most people (myself included) love rides like that.  Perhaps it'll attract more people to the park, along with that great $30 admission/meal/unlimited soft drinks deal mentioned on the homepage.  8)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 06:24:41 PM »
OT: Was Shute d' Chutes open?  They still don't have it listed on their website.

Not when I was there, but to be fair, it was very COLD.  I would imagine they only had Roaring Falls open because the media folks were there.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
^What was the ride actually like? Is it very thrilling at all? Worth much of a wait? I'm sure the lines for it will be at least 30 mins long this season, but maybe it will relieve some of Wildcat's queue a bit.

I'm also curious to hear how the splash-down is utilized. I know at most parks, they build a bridge over it so that guests can get the full effect, but CC apparently opted to just have a side area. How does that work out?

A lot of questions, I know, but this is the big thing for this year.   :o

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 08:55:46 PM »
^I'd imagine the ride has as much thrill as The Monsoon at Worlds of Fun. The Monsoon has that awesome bridge that goes over it though.

Why did CC opt out of getting the bridge. You tend to get more wet on the bridge than the actual ride which is awesome!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 11:18:52 PM »
They have a viewing platform that juts out into the splash pool which will be used for "getting wet".

I did not ride (so IDK how "thrilling" it was -- it's a shoot the chutes ride, they're all alike) and did not wait around for an idiot... um, guest, to ride the ride considering how cold it was Friday... and that should answer the question about a line.

SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 09:31:44 AM »
^I think you can see the viewing platform in one of the pics on MIG.  Seems like it would be pretty fun to hang around the ride on a very hot day.  I tend to hang around AP at SDC when it's very hot, so it's pretty cool that they have a ride now at CC that serves that purpose too.  I'm anxious to hear what it's like from someone who has ridden the ride!