Author Topic: QSCR site, "Josephine" update  (Read 4367 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
QSCR site, "Josephine" update
« on: August 01, 2011, 02:25:58 PM »
For those of you following my Quantrill project in NW Arkansas, our site is updated with the quiz answer, a new question and a small update. Here's the link...

http://josieqscr.blogspot.com

I'll be updating it more often in the coming days!

Enjoy! And please post any comments or thoughts. I'd love your feedback on the site.
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: QSCR site, "Josephine" update
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »
I wanted to pass along an update on ANDY's QUANTRILL project with the Gentry, AR Library. The collection of educational material will open to the public on Saturday, May 19th. I had a chance to speak with him today for an interview for an upcoming article I hope will appear in the on-line magazine that I write for, and I can tell you, he has a PASSION for this topic! ANDY has a deep love and passion for this material on the boarder wars during the Civil War era that will be of interest to educators, students, historians, writers, and those doing research into their family history. The collection consists of books, magazines, photos, diaries, payroll lists, and even movies on the topic. I have donated to this collection, and I encourage you to support and donate to it as well...this special collection is the FIRST of it's kind ANYWHERE! If you are a Civil War or American history buff, or are interested in the history of the boarderland and frontier during this period, you have GOT to visit the Gentry, AR public library. Check out the Website listed in the previous posting, and I hope to see YOU in Gentry for the opening of the collection May 19th!!!!!! ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »
I totally agree Junior. As a history teacher, this is right in my line of work, and it is so amazing the works and items that have been compiled. I also donated a book or two from my collection that pertained to the collection that would have a better home at the library, as well as I did the design work in the photos and flags as a donation for the group. I was even able to obtain the license for the fonts as a donation... so ANYTHING you can do would help. Any of the following items are welcomed (not necessarily originals-copies would work just as well:
Pictures
Research papers
Study papers
Military records
Quantrill guerrilla rosters/lists
Stories
Articles
Eyewitness accounts
Journals
Diaries
Personal correspondence
Pension records
Confederate Home applications
Parole records / papers
Blank computer cds or DVDs
Museum items you can loan such as artifacts, weapons, original documents, etc.
Financial contributions in any amount

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 01:23:26 AM »
Thanks, Rube, for posting that list! Being a Benton County, AR resident, I've followed media reports about the Gentry library. It is in a historical building in the downtown area that was refitted for use as a library by noted Arkansas architect Marlon Blackwell, who also designed the gift shop at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art at Bentonville. The library is fantastic for a small town facility. The Quantrill Collection is housed in an excellent facility. Again, this is a one of a kind collection that will be used by generations of students, teachers, authors, historians, researchers, and those tracing family roots. Benton County is only about 2 hours south of Branson. Next trip to SDC, plan a side trip to NW Arkansas. There is excellent shopping, restaurants, and various attractions here you and  your family will enjoy! The Quantrill material at Gentry Public Library complements other museums, libraries, and educational facilities in this area.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 06:13:59 AM »
Please note: Richard contacted me about the special weekend activities this weekend at Gentry for the grand opening of the Quantrill Collection. They have had to postpone the event due to a sudden, serious illness in his family. So those activities will not be held this weekend. Again, I want to stress that this is a unique, top notch collection of material that I have personally donated items to, and I encourage you to swing by the Gentry Public Library when the collection opens to the public and take a look at it. It is an excellent resource for students, teachers, historians, and those interested in tracing family history. God Bless you, Rich, and best to your family during this time of crisis. We'll be praying for you all.  :)

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:50:56 PM »
Congratulations on this great accomplishment!  I have to say it's weird seeing a place not even 10 minutes from my home town being mentioned right here.  Small world!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 08:06:11 PM »
Andymeets1880s contacted me a few days ago and said the Quantrill Collection is open to the public now at the Gentry, AR public library. You gotta go see this stuff, he has done a great job in getting this material ready for use by the public. The library facility is wonderful, too, especially for a small town.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 11:13:26 AM »
Tell Andy we miss his top 10s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 05:26:49 PM »
A story I wrote for the Quantrill Collection now appears in the Summer Edition of Life in the Ozarks Magazine at this Website: www.lifeintheozarks.com    Hope you enjoy. Again, If passing through northwest Arkansas, I hope you can find the time for a visit to the Gentry Library to see this collection in person. You can find the story under the "features" section of the site.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 05:27:47 PM by Junior »