Author Topic: Site Updates  (Read 27293 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Site Updates
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 10:00:26 AM »
My Stetson's off to you Shave.  You're doing an excellent job on this site as always!
I'm Your Huckleberry

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 05:53:56 PM »
As I'm sure you've noticed, nothing has been done around the site for some time now. I had once envisioned setting the site up so that it could run pretty much autonomously, but I just don't have the time to make that happen anymore.

Right now I am considering cutting the front page of the site completely and turning the forums into the index of the site. So when you go to SDCFans.com, the forums would pop up instead of the current home page. I would keep a link at the top of the forums to a content directory of some sort where we could keep some links to the current content pages that we want to keep, such as some of the history and ride wiki pages.

This would basically cut out all of the news stories that I write from time to time, as well as events, user photo galleries, trip reports/articles, and a multitude of empty or expired content pages.

I would possibly redesign the forums a little to accommodate for some of the changes.

Would anyone have a problem with this?

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »
While I like the news stories and trip reports/articles, I can see your point and don't have a problem with it :).  Those could be relocated to the forums if you wanted to keep them.  I say go for it.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 06:37:45 PM »
As I'm sure you've noticed, nothing has been done around the site for some time now. I had once envisioned setting the site up so that it could run pretty much autonomously, but I just don't have the time to make that happen anymore.

Right now I am considering cutting the front page of the site completely and turning the forums into the index of the site. So when you go to SDCFans.com, the forums would pop up instead of the current home page. I would keep a link at the top of the forums to a content directory of some sort where we could keep some links to the current content pages that we want to keep, such as some of the history and ride wiki pages.

This would basically cut out all of the news stories that I write from time to time, as well as events, user photo galleries, trip reports/articles, and a multitude of empty or expired content pages.

I would possibly redesign the forums a little to accommodate for some of the changes.

Would anyone have a problem with this?

I wouldn't. To be perfectly honest I rarely hit the homepage. My bookmark is set to go straight to the forums, so unless something in the forums mentions the home page I don't look at it. We all appreciate the forum so much and understand you need to do what works for you best.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »
The only time I don't go straight to the forum is if I'm on a new computer, and then I'm only on the front page long enough to log in and go to the forum.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 05:44:49 PM »
Do what you have to do...but I like the photo galleries and a home page. As long as we have the forums to visit with each other and keep each other up to date! Thanks for all you do.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 07:12:05 PM »
I agree with Junior, I enjoy the homepage, however you have been very gracious in creating and sustaining this site and should do what works best for you as I know you are very busy. I would much rather have the opportunity to read the thoughts of all the wonderful people of this site on the forums page if it comes to that or the home page.
Colorado SDC Fan

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 10:40:27 PM »
The site's great.  Just keep doing as you will.  The forums are great.  The content available from the front page is great.  Your enthusiasm is great.  Thank you very much!  This place is my permanent vicarious vacation home away from home.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 12:00:34 AM »
Now that I am finally done with this semester and not staying up till 3-4AM every night doing homework, it's time to fix the site again. As I mentioned a couple of months ago, I'm planning on making the forums into the home page of the site that users will see when they first visit Sdcfans.com. The top part of the forum index will be rearranged to include a "What's New" section that will showcase major news being discussed on the forums and   any updates made to other areas of the site. Most of the content that is on the site now will remain and will still be accessible through a link on the top of the forums.

The first stage of setting the forums to be the default index of the site will probably happen at the end of this month, and I'll work on the rest of the overhaul and other tweaks and updates over the course of the summer.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 08:23:29 AM »
Thanks, Shave. Keep up the good work! :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 10:14:14 AM »
sounds great shave.!!  thanks again for all that you do!!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »
awesome! Cant wait to see the new page!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »
Looking froward to the new " Look"  You are appreciated!!

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »
Shave, thanks for all you do!!! Looking forward to the changes. :)
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »
Your the man. I appreciate you keeping this site going for us avid SDC fans.
Colorado SDC Fan