Author Topic: Did you see this yet?  (Read 24989 times)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Did you see this yet?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 01:02:57 PM »
Dolly has apologized for this incident. 
http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-news/2011/7/29/dolly-parton-apologizes-for-gay-t-shirt-incident-at-dollywoo.html

I wonder how the partnership between Dolly and HFEC will be affected by this?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 01:20:50 PM »
Not at all I would think. Dolly is still just as loyal to her gay followers, and I assume HFEC will continue to uphold their policies just as they always have. Nothing to see here...

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 04:24:44 PM »
Nope.. will not make any difference at all..

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 11:56:04 PM »
It irks me that they, or rather she apologized. I think Dollywood should have stood by their decision. Again, Dollywood isn’t striking out specifically against gay people, but against the shirt they deem offensive.

Score 1 for the forcefully outspoken, 15 minutes of fame seeking, agenda pushing couple.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2011, 12:30:04 PM »
I wish our society was accepting enough that a T-shirt saying "Marriage is Gay" would not be offensive.

I'm probably one of the most liberal members on this board, so it's probably not a shocker when I say that I agree with the couple that "family friendly" should include ALL types of family. I myself am straight, but I have many, many gay friends and it hurts me to see them hurt. Love is love, no matter what temple holds your soul, and it shouldn't be hated or discriminated against.

I totally agree, Joy. 

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 05:18:57 AM »
The shirt was worn deliberately to get a reaction or to shove it "in your face".
Wow, a mind reader with a time machine! Cool!

I wish I could travel back in time and know what was going through someone's mind. I think I'd use it for bigger issues than a t-shirt, though.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 10:13:01 AM »
Don't need to be either to see what is obvious. If you've got a better explanation I'd love to hear it. The fact that they went crying to the media pretty much tells me they got what they were looking for. 
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 03:19:45 AM »
*sigh*

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 07:27:03 AM »
your right larson,

your right too KB..... ::) ::)

LOL

MagnoliaWhisper

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 03:32:03 AM »
I am positive that Dolly would stand up for the gay rights as that is a huge following of hers, and she is very open minded.

That being said, when I first read what the shirt said, I thought personally a lot of "gay" people would be offended by the shirt, as most I know want the word "gay" to stop being used in a negative way. And as was brought out, now people use gay as a negative word, meaning lame, and such.

Oh well semantics there. The point for sure is every property owner has a right to a dress code, schools, stores, etc. I'm a hillbilly as some may call it, but I don't go to the media about the no shoes no service rules at most public places. lol haha I go ahead and abide and put my shoes on! haha

I would bet since it has to be a personal call by each ticket taker or what ever it's a hard job, and I would assume that the employee meant no disrespect, but was just trying to do their job. My sister once wore a swim suit to SDC that the gate employee said she needed a shirt over. We didn't raise a stink she got a shirt and put it on.

As for blacks at SDC, well it's true till the last decade there wasn't many. I always personally used that to my advantage. haha I always could find my dad and siblings. My dad is Mexican and he and my step mother have adopted 6 children from Haiti. When ever I lost them, all I had to do was ask around if some one seen a Mexican man with 6 black children go by and every one seemed to know exactly what direction they went in! lol I personally am in a bi-racial marriage myself. The first few years I went with my husband there still wasn't much ethnic diversity on the park. I think mainly it was a regional thing, not because they weren't allowed, or weren't welcomed. I have to say we have NEVER had any problems with SDC and racism. However, because I rarely seen many blacks around the area (till less then 10 years ago) I will say I was a little scared to tent camp at the Wilderness the first year by ourselves. Well, quite honestly I was VERY afraid. While we were there, there was a terrible storm. The men from two trailers parked next to our tent both came during the storm, first one scared me to death, I was like oh no.......trouble, but instead the man said my wife sent me to see if you were ok, do you want to come to our trailer for shelter? We kindly thanked him and said we would be ok, had tent camped in worse (which I have, I had the tent pretty secured as I was used to tent camping in such conditions), and then the other trailer on the other side of us man/husband also came to check on us. I've never been worried again. To tell you the truth, I was quite impressed and very proud for lack of a better word at the love and concern shown.

But, again even though there never used to be many on the park, even when my family was all I seen there that wasn't of the norm, we never had a service problem at all at SDC. And always had more then nice service from every one there.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2011, 08:42:06 AM »
I wonder what happened with this...it was big national news, but died down rather quickly. Anyone know?

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2011, 09:09:01 AM »
Good question Rube!

The ladies got their 15 minutes of fame that they were seeking by running to the news media with their story. Their 15 minutes is up, so their attention seeking days are over until the next big thing.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 09:10:43 AM »
I was there in Pigeon Forge / Dollywood when this happened.  It was a non event, there were a few people sitting out on the main drag near the turn protesting.  If I am not mistaken at the high point of the scandal there were 3 people out there sitting on the side walk with a sign that said " Dolly, you should be ashamed of yourself" 
Those 3 were young 20 maybe, rough looking little crew.   
This entire thing was justified on DW's part, there is no reason to wear a shirt like that to a theme park, maybe to the gay bar on drag night, but not spreading your message in a private business that is full of 30000 customers a day that have paid more than $50 to get their kids in to have good family fun.  Dollywood is wrong to appologise for keeping the park "clean".  That is expected and that is why millions a year pay to experience a safe clean family atmosphere.
Dollywood did the right thing.
The press made a big deal out of this.
THey would have fit in better at Six Flags.............
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:12:31 AM by mhguy77 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 09:35:55 AM »
Good question Rube!

The ladies got their 15 minutes of fame that they were seeking by running to the news media with their story. Their 15 minutes is up, so their attention seeking days are over until the next big thing.

OR the next NOT SO BIG thing.   LOL!!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 09:59:51 AM »
After some digging I fouind this:
http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2011/08/dolly-parton-apologies-to-lesbian-couple-over-dollywood-t-shirt-incident/413677/1

"Dolly apopgizes to couple"
"Everyone knows of my personal support of the gay and lesbian community. Dollywood is a family park and all families are welcome," she said. "We do have a policy about profanity or controversial messages on clothing or signs. It is to protect the individual wearing or carrying them, as well as to keep down fights or problems by those opposed to it at the park. We even offer free shirts in exchange to those who want to remain in the park."

Dollywood management had offered the couple a refund and was going to meet with them in person Tuesday, but declined to after the couple said they wanted to bring a representative from a gay rights organization, the Campaign for Southern Equality, according to the Knoxville News Sentinel.