Author Topic: Did you see this yet?  (Read 24804 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Did you see this yet?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 09:25:17 PM »
ALL of my photos from the 50's/ early60's show the park/ cave with dresses, and pressed pants! It is a great reflection of the society at the time. Look at the footage (or think back for some of you' all) at the early Beatles concerts...dresses, dress shirts etc...VERY DIFFERENT SOCIETY THAN TODAY .Now we deal with dresses made of meat and men wearing socks (yes only socks...sometimes on their feet) on stage at musical performances. Things have changed. I would know, I see it firsthand in the schools. These kids-middle and high school-emulate anything that will draw attention and allow them to immitate these celebrities.

As a teacher I have to constantly monitor shirts for anything offensive, and our policy states specifically the same basic things as the HFEC & WD rules. We make judgement calls based on what is best for the school as a whole. If it involves sex drugs or something crude, or ANYTHING THAT DRAWS UNECCESSARY ATTENTION then off to the locker room to change into a gym uniform (goes for short skirts/ shorts/ ill fitting pants as well). I am trying to think if "Marriage is Gay" applies to our school policy, and since it would draw more negative attention and remarks in the public school setting, they would more than likely be asked to change it. I would not be the one to make the choice, I would refer them to the administrators, and allow them the decision.

Times have changed for sure.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 05:21:31 PM »
Junior look up the web site "The people of Walmart"
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 05:52:52 PM »
I've seen that Website, "People of Wal-Mart" and sometimes I think they took the majority of those photos in my local store! HA! ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 06:19:48 PM »
WOW junior,  so they took pictures at only 2 stores?  your store in branson and the south walmart in topeka!!???  too funny!

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 12:47:37 AM »
My immediate thought when seeing that the shirt read "Marriage is gay" was why would a gay person wear a shirt expressing that sentiment anyway?  In a time when the gay movement is pushing so hard for the right to marry, why would one wear a shirt that seems to downplay it?  Usually, when we hear the expression "that's gay" or "that's so gay," it's synonymous with the expression "that's lame," or feeble.  Even my gay friends around here use the expression in that respect.  So I just thought it strange.  But the article said that the couple was not married, so maybe it's a personal thing.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 11:02:32 AM »
Well, one possible interpretation of the shirt is “Marriage [between a man, and a woman] is so gay.”

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 02:43:34 PM »
zephon, ozark!  see thats my point! 

1st of all only about 10% of the people will see AND read the t-shirt.

and out of that 10% i would guess maybe 90% will even think about what it means??

And the rest of us will talk about it on a forum!!!!   LMAO!!!!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 07:16:51 PM »
Can of worms is officially opened.

<soapbox>

I am extremely tired of the liberal agenda.

Why do people insist on shoving there personal agenda down everyone else's throat?

</Soapbox>

You're spot on here and that's exactly what was happening in this situation. The shirt was worn deliberately to get a reaction or to shove it "in your face". It used to be gays only wanted to be tolerated, fine they got that. Now that's not good enough, they want to force you to accept their lifestyle as nothing out of the ordinary and you should approve. I do not have to and won't. I'm libertarian enough to appreciate "to each his own" and personally don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't harm or infringe on anyone else's rights. This is not the case. I do not find the gay lifestyle acceptable and do not feel it should be shoved in my or my children's face constantly.

"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 07:36:11 PM »

You're spot on here and that's exactly what was happening in this situation. The shirt was worn deliberately to get a reaction or to shove it "in your face". It used to be gays only wanted to be tolerated, fine they got that. Now that's not good enough, they want to force you to accept their lifestyle as nothing out of the ordinary and you should approve. I do not have to and won't. I'm libertarian enough to appreciate "to each his own" and personally don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't harm or infringe on anyone else's rights. This is not the case. I do not find the gay lifestyle acceptable and do not feel it should be shoved in my or my children's face constantly.

Wow!  Just for argument's sake:  How far back should we go in correcting the "Liberal agenda"?  Interracial marriage?  Women voting?    These also "used" to be really big problems with individual personal beliefs.   That's what is great about having personal beliefs; they inform the way we live and the decisions we make. 

I think the thing we are missing out here is that the Guest complied when asked.   They also clearly asked that if there was going to be a guideline, that it be published and addressed.   
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:06:24 PM by betamike »
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 08:15:46 PM »
They are human beings, and yes, they have rights. They do not have the right however to force me to accept or approve of what they're doing. That was my point. Tolerance is one thing I have no problem with. Forced acceptance is another. The gay lifestyle is contrary to my personal beliefs and not something I want to children to see as perfectly ok because I don't think it is. What you or anyone else believes is your business, and I will not try to convince you otherwise. I just get extremely tired of hearing how anyone (other than a Christian) is being "discriminated" against because they're doing something that most of mainstream America feels is wrong.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »
Yeah, but they kind of are being discriminated against.   Look, I will agree that this topic will always be a point of division among people - but my point is that not even a generation ago, the same rhetoric could be heard towards blacks, and before that: women.   

I'm glad we have progressed as a society and we can disagree with lifestyle choices and legislation that passes.   I just hope people see that wearing a shirt isn't forcing anyone to change their viewpoint.   That's all.   

Okay, ready to pass the peace pipe now  :)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 08:42:43 PM »
Yeah, but they kind of are being discriminated against.   Look, I will agree that this topic will always be a point of division among people - but my point is that not even a generation ago, the same rhetoric could be heard towards blacks, and before that: women.   

I'm glad we have progressed as a society and we can disagree with lifestyle choices and legislation that passes.   I just hope people see that wearing a shirt isn't forcing anyone to change their viewpoint.   That's all.   

Okay, ready to pass the peace pipe now  :)

I know what you're saying about blacks and women and I agree. I just have a feeling they knew what they were doing when they wore the shirt, knew they were going to a conservative leaning park and trying to get a reaction. I may be wrong about that, but it sure seems like it happens more and more.

No hard feelings towards anyone. The greatest freedom we have is the ability to speak our minds which means we also have to hear others say things we don't agree with.

Inhaling as we speak :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:45:20 PM by thelarsonsix »

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 08:50:47 PM »
Hugs is what we ALL need!  ;D

Okay...why is there NO Huggy emoticon on here!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
We can rail down this goat trail for ever, but I don't think it's worth it. Bottom line is that HFEC is still at least partly a Christian-led company and has a right to protect the sanctity of the institutions they uphold. This shirt was obviously crafted in a way that made it very easy to mis-interpret. The words "Marriage is Gay" will obviously sound to many like a jab towards the religious institution of marriage, which is held sacred by people of many religions. I don't know if that's what they intended it to be, but regardless, the employee did his/her job in making sure that no issues arose because of the shirt.

The media blitz and public bickering that has followed this story has been unhealthy for everyone. As our society continues to adapt and change, it would do well for both Christians and gays to acknowledge that each has their own rights in this country, and picking fights like this just hurts all of us. It should be common sense to make sure one's clothing is not offensive to certain groups before entering a large public place, and running to the media after making a mistake like this is downright shameful. I hope that lady learns to respect religious institutions as we respect her right to do whatever she wants to do with her life.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 09:01:08 PM »
That strikes the nail on the head shave!

What else is there to say?