Author Topic: Dollywood Annouces New Splash Battle Ride  (Read 9212 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Dollywood Annouces New Splash Battle Ride
« on: July 19, 2007, 04:13:35 PM »
From SuperSteve's -

DW Announces New River Battle Ride

Always the early announcers, DW decided now was a good enough time to let everyone in on what's coming in 2008, and boy are we in for a treat. Besides that highly demanded bit of asphalt connecting the two valleys, a new $5 million ride will appear at the park for the 2008 season. The new ride, apparently dubbed Beaver Battle from what can be seen on the concept art, looks like a Mack Blaster boat ride, similar to the many splash battles that have been popping up around the world. If the ride turns out anything like the concept art, it will be quite short, but every single part is packed with excitement. Targets, pedestrians, and other riders are waiting around every bend, not to mention the talking animatronic animals.

Though it's not the swing that I'm still expecting, this ride is quite a worthy addition to DW, and is sure to take the edge off of MM's queue for my visit next year. I like splash battles, though I don't overly appreciate them. With all the soaking and intense action, this ride is really more for those overly-hyped up kiddies and their unwilling parents. I think after a ride or two I'll just stick to the side lines so I can smack a few of the more annoying kids in the face with one of the water cannons on the pathways.

So, will we see one of these at SDC soon? Quite probably, but I'd rather CC get one... By the way, I still say that DW will end up with a swing soon, probably next year.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dollywood Annouces New Splash Battle Ride
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 05:52:28 PM »
I really think this is a great addition to a already good park! I'm excited because I'm probably going to get to visit Dollywood in '08!!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:20:03 PM »
^That makes two of us.

Yeah, thinking about it more, I've decided that this really is the kind of ride that will really help DW all around. Not only is it plainly a great family attraction, but I believe it will severely help queues around the park, without drawing in too many newcomers to make up for it.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 12:03:40 PM »
Their also building a direct path so people don't have to walk all the way around the park right?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 12:22:04 PM »
^Yes, and arguably, that's the better of the two additions (and I'm not putting the splash battle down or anything).

I'm sure having to go all the way down one valley, only to have to go all the way back up it so you can go up and down another one was ridiculous, so this path is a necessity.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 08:27:02 PM »
Is it just me or does Dollywood announce their new rides to the park faster than SDC?? It seems like forever before I hear anything about a new ride at SDC.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 01:38:06 AM »
It seems to me that all the other properties are the “experimental” properties for SDC. They build new rides and attraction in other places if it goes well then it or at least a form of it opens in SDC. This isn’t true all the time, but in some cases.

Daredevil Falls was tried at Dollywood after it didn’t do as well as they thought they scraped it for SDC.

The Foam Factory at American Adventures (former Georgia owned park) they built Geyser Gulch and Dreamland Forest.

Country Fair was built in Dollywood and later the Grand Exposition opened at SDC and was well received. They were talking about adding the same concept to Stone Mountain as well. I think this would be a great addition to Stone Mountain. I also wish that they would build the proposed Great Train Chase dark ride at Stone Mountain as well.

The Waterboggan opened in Dollywood and later at SDC.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 03:56:55 PM »
^Yes, quite a few enthusiasts have noticed that, which is why everyone is so keen on seeing Mystery Mine do well, and why everyone is sure we'll see a GCII woodie after how well OzCat and Thunderhead did.

It's funny though, DW gets about twice the attendance that SDC does, yet it gets to be the guinea pig. Then again, most people agree that SDC is an all-around better park.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 08:17:02 PM »
Silver Dollar City has always been my favorite but Dolly is what brings in the guests. Also being a guinea pig has it's advantages. Their always the first of Herschend's park to get a new ride or attraction and then people think that the Herschend's care more about Dollywood which is completely not true.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 08:21:52 PM »
^I wouldn't say that. They may have been the first to get a woodie, but look at Wildfire, and look at the detail they go to extravagant ends to keep here whereas at Dollywood things are a little looser. If I'm not mistaken, DW hires a lot more younger folk than SDC, and I really don't think they all have their own personal character role in the park like at SDC.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 08:31:25 PM »
Well I guess I did kinda mistype that becuase I didn't even think of Wildfire. I have never been to Dollywood so I can't really make that great of an observation. I can just go off what I've seen on the Travel Channel or heard from other people. You do have to admit that Dollywood is more nationally known than SDC. Some people don't even know what SDC is.