Author Topic: Lighting Rod - Launch Replacement  (Read 1430 times)

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Lighting Rod - Launch Replacement
« on: September 12, 2023, 10:25:00 AM »
Dollywood announced that they are replacing the launch on Lighting Rod with a fast chain lift and that they are getting new trains. The launch was cool and we got lucky to ride it every trip we took, but I don't think it was worth the amount of down time that it had.

It will close for the season on October 30th and reopen in Spring 2024. Other than the lift, the rest of the ride experience will be the same, even the same top speed.

For me, the more interesting part of the announcement is new trains. I much prefer the Outlaw Run trains over the Lighting Rod ones. The high headrest on them made them feel much less open than the Outlaw Run twins. Now without the launch, I wonder if they will be more like the Outlaw Run ones.

https://www.facebook.com/dollywood/videos/1359445871311763/

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Re: Lighting Rod - Launch Replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 10:33:28 AM »
All I can say is good riddance. What a disappointment that thing was. Only ever rode it once and it immediately broke down right after. Every other visit I had it never was open due to "Technical Difficulties". Here its been at the park for more than half a decade already.

This is an opportunity for them to make use of that hill it sits on and turn it into a Wooden Hyper Coaster (200+ foot drop) that they can remarket the thing as.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 10:37:07 AM by sdcfan88 »

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 11:23:09 AM »
This is an opportunity for them to make use of that hill it sits on and turn it into a Wooden Hyper Coaster (200+ foot drop) that they can remarket the thing as.

They are just replacing the launch with a fast chain lift. The rest of the ride will remain the same with the exception of new trains.

flutas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 09:02:25 AM »
Dollywood announced that they are replacing the launch on Lighting Rod with a fast chain lift and that they are getting new trains. The launch was cool and we got lucky to ride it every trip we took, but I don't think it was worth the amount of down time that it had.

It will close for the season on October 30th and reopen in Spring 2024. Other than the lift, the rest of the ride experience will be the same, even the same top speed.

For me, the more interesting part of the announcement is new trains. I much prefer the Outlaw Run trains over the Lighting Rod ones. The high headrest on them made them feel much less open than the Outlaw Run twins. Now without the launch, I wonder if they will be more like the Outlaw Run ones.

https://www.facebook.com/dollywood/videos/1359445871311763/

Dang, that sucks. I loved the launch on the coaster...even though I got a gnat in my eye from it (and it was in there for 4+ hours).

It's understandable though, it's had so many issues.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 09:05:05 AM by flutas »