Author Topic: Stone Mountain Park News  (Read 5591 times)

sdcforever

Stone Mountain Park News
« on: January 07, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »
HFE owns this park in Atlanta, GA.  In the spring Journey to the Center of the Earth 4D is coming to the park (the movie with Brendan Fraser).  Also, Snow Mountain is going on right now.  I had no idea about this until today, but Big Rock Waterpark is under construction at Stone Mountain.  It was originally slated for 2008 but has been pushed back to 2010 due to the drought in that area, among other things.  Here are some details: 

"The Big Rock Waterpark is a 15 acre outdoor waterpark set in the scenic and historic Stone Mountain Park on the outskirts of Atlanta, GA.

This waterpark under development by Herschend Family Entertainment replaces a swimming beach and four old waterslides that previously occupied the site. The site is situated adjacent to a lake and is wooded with substantial topography making for challenging site conditions.

Phase one of the project consists of a 1,000 ft. long river, a leisure pool on the beach, a large kids zone with eight small waterslides and dozens of interactive features, four body flumes, two inner tube flumes, a four lane mat racer and two family raft rides with a raft conveyor.

Targeted park attendance is 2,000 people and phase two expansion calls for the addition of more water slides and a wave pool integrating with the lake and the beach."

Sounds like a pretty major project.  You can read more about the 4D movie, Snow Mountain, and see some pics of the Big Rock Waterpark construction on Screamscape:  http://www.screamscape.com/html/stone_mountain.htm.  The pictures show that they got far enough along that at least one slide has already been completed.

sdcforever

Re: Stone Mountain Park News
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 08:35:56 AM »
According to Screamscape, looks like the Big Rock Water Park has probably been canceled for good.  Most of the slide pieces that were on site over a year ago are now gone.  Dollywood's upcoming new ride Slick Rock Racer has most likely been constructed using slide pieces from the Big Rock Water Park site.  Also, rumor has it that other HFE water parks (including White Water Branson and the Wild Adventures Water Park) will be getting new attractions built from the slide pieces.  Whatever is left will be sold off.

Check out the full story:  http://screamscape.com/html/stone_mountain.htm
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:37:08 AM by SDC Rules! »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 07:27:47 PM »
Didn't know where else to post this one...I picked this up for pretty cheap yesterday at a garage sale
Any BIG stone Mtn Fans that want it in their collection? I just couldn't pass this one up.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:28:31 PM by rubedugans »

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:43:23 PM »
Ha! That’s a pretty clever pencil cup. ;D