Author Topic: Your top suggestions on making the park even better  (Read 32896 times)

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
Re: Your top suggestions on making the park even better
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2011, 01:57:35 PM »
We could make it work!  ;)
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2011, 03:22:01 PM »
The clopping of the horses over the bridge has been audible on each of our trips this yea, though it is kinda faint against a noisy background and stomping kids.

As for the over acting of the skits:  at least it's period.  Acting in the 1880's was melodramatic and boisterous.

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2011, 04:57:11 PM »
I have a qestion for those of you with inside knowledge of the park. Do Jack or Pete walk to the park and with do you think they see some of at least I think not so great changes that happen say like Jack sandwhich shop pre making the sandwiches or things of that nature.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2011, 05:00:38 PM »
I read in an article a couple years ago that they do still walk around the park quite often. And I don't think there's any way they wouldn't notice the changes that have gone on in the past 10 or so years. However, it's hard for us to tell what they think about the changes.  :P
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2011, 07:38:42 PM »
Jack and Pete put into place others who call the shots today. If Jack and Pete felt very strongly about something, then the ones in control would make a change. Jack and Pete firmly believe once they've put someone in place to do a job for them, they will stand back and not micromanage, and go with the decisions of who they put in the job. I scratch my head each time I'm on park as to why the treehouse is still there. I bet its one of two reasons...either no money was budgeted to remove it, or Jack and or Pete don't want it removed. That's my guess, though. I was on park on opening day and Jack was making the rounds with Brad Thomas. That is when Jack and I got our picture together, the one I use as my avitar. So, yes, the two still tour the park. I understand both of them and their wives were on park for the big 9/11 ceremony last week. That is nice to know, too. 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2011, 07:49:35 PM »
It is good to know they still have a presence, albeit a small one, but if they were made aware of an issue I am sure it would quickly be resolved.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2011, 10:57:09 PM »
One of them (not sure which one) is always present at the 5K marathon held at the City for Caring People.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2011, 11:49:22 PM »
5K marathon? Sounds like Jack. He used to be a runner/jogger. I cannot tell you how many times I almost hit him with my car! He used to jog down the middle of Highway 76 where the turn off is for the campground. I must have come close to whacking him at least two or three times back in the early 80s! Thank God I didn't! :)   This would have been in mid-March to mid-April, before many tourists were in the area and you could just about run naked down the strip without anyone seeing you at that time of year. (Of course, he didn't...run naked that is! Ha!)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2011, 10:27:16 AM »
Run to the Lights is a 5K held on Nov. 11 after the park is closed.  It supports Caring People, an organization founded by Jodee Herschend, to provide assistance to single moms.  It's an exciting night full of "people who care", rivers of hot chocolate, wassail, and those billions of lights.  Jodee and her husband (Jack or Pete?) present the awards.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »
dude, I can barely run across campus from class to class. Let alone running the hills at dollar city. Which would lead me to my next question........which is worse running up or down cardiac hill? They both pose their individual threats.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2011, 11:51:59 AM »
It has always been a goal of mine to meet Jack, and Pete. However, I am not able to make enough trips to Branson to better my odds. :)

I do agree though that they probably don’t dive too deeply into the management aspect of Silver Dollar City anymore. That’s what those desk job executives do in Georgia. However, it is nice that they still take the time to visit the park from time to time.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2011, 01:03:23 PM »
Do  jack and Pete still live in Branson or do they live in Georgia?
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2011, 03:16:55 PM »
They live in the Branson area give, or take. The Herschend Corporation itself moved to Georgia some time back.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2011, 04:21:52 PM »
The clopping of the horses over the bridge has been audible on each of our trips this yea, though it is kinda faint against a noisy background and stomping kids.

As for the over acting of the skits:  at least it's period.  Acting in the 1880's was melodramatic and boisterous.

I've heard the clopping of the horses on the bridge on our trips this year as well.  My question is why did they take down the sign that told about the bridge collapsing under the weight of a posse chasing the Baldknobbers?  Trivia question: does anyone else remember the date that was posted that the bridge collapse was supposed to have happened?   ;)
I'm Your Huckleberry

dorsal

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2011, 10:38:28 PM »
I wish for the return of
- skillet bowls that have been replaced by Philly steak sandwiches (all over the park)

Say it isn't so!!!!!  My family loves those skillets!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:39:57 PM by dorsal »