Author Topic: Your top suggestions on making the park even better  (Read 33145 times)

MagnoliaWhisper

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: Your top suggestions on making the park even better
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2011, 10:03:41 PM »
As far as timing they could have both just like out in the real world there is "fast" food (never as good!) and there is sit down places. However, I must say I NEVER minded waiting in line for GOOD food! However, sadly like Cheesehead, if the food ain't good I am not going to waste my money on it, instead I would just bring my own! I went to a park in Egg Harbor, NJ every thing on the park was the nastiest stuff I ever ate......we never again ate there! We brought our own from then on.

I would say the better plan for "faster" food would be just put up MORE spots to buy food, then it could spread the people out more. The problem I see is they rarely have ALL the food places open at once, if they had them all open at the prime times at least that would probably help a lot of the lines.

IE there is a caramel apple cart by the lost river ride, that RARELY is ever open, same with the Salad place by the turkey legs and succatash (outside echo hollar), same with the food thing that was first at the culinary school, every time I went to that snack bar is was closed!

If they would just keep all the food places/carts they already have open all the time (at least during the busier times) maybe added a few more selections and a little seating area in the guest house where there is a small snack stand.

I think all those changes would add up to less wait time at the other places. But again me, I don't mind standing in line for food that I know will be good. However, I'm a season pass holder, I can go as often as I want, if the food is worthless, I would just bring my own or leave the park and eat some where else. So... they would actually be losing money from me and my family if they keep on this road.

As far as the wooden roller coaster, it really shouldn't cost them as much as "new" rides, as they should just use Wild Cat which they already own!

I agree 100 percent with the list!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:08:34 PM by MagnoliaWhisper »

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2011, 09:12:04 AM »
MagnoliaWhisper, I agree with you on the season pass thing and the good food. When I plan on going to SDC, I try to get there as soon as the gates open for breakfast, because I know if I get there 5 minutes before the park itself opens, I have to wait in a super massive line. When I know I won't be there as early as possible, I'll usually just grab something on the way there. And for lunch, the restaurants are usually really full, so I usually just buy random snacks through out the day so I don't starve. Like the last time I was there (last Sunday), the whole park was really crowded, so Mom said, "how about we just leave early and go to cracker barrel or something, and we'll come back for the concert later."
It not often that I'm ready to leave SDC early, but there was no eating, there was barely any walking with all the people that were there.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2011, 11:42:54 AM »
Though we usually have grandiose plans of returning to the park later in the evenings...rarely do we sccomplish this. Not that we get too distracted by Branson fun, after dinner, we are just too full and tired!

MagnoliaWhisper

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2011, 11:47:39 PM »
We usually stay at Barvarian Village so leaving and going back to our cabin and coming back isn't that big of a deal really for us. Or if we don't come back it's not that big of a deal either since we have the season pass we'll just go again the next day! lol haha However, we have actually left and came back a few times. With out much problems, however, if I had to go all the way back into Branson and not just behind SDC may be different. However, with the new road/parking situation it does make it a little less convenient then it used to be!

So hmm, to me it sounds like they just need to add more food places. there's plenty of places to do so. There could be more food over by the "farm". They could have a REAL restaurant instead of just the snack bar by Red Gold Heritage Hall/Grand Expo area. They could add some real restaurant back by the bathrooms by gyuser gulch. Just off the top of my head. There's sooooooo much seating at oh I never can remember the name but the restaurant that sells the turkey legs, and burgers, beans, chili, etc. They could add another line there so there is two lines. Cause that place has massive seating. I haven't gotten to go this year. (however my dad also told me the food went way down hill!) But, when ever we are having "moving" problems and being able to find a place to eat we usually head there. Cause there's plenty of seating, (at least three levels of seating areas), and then we just send one or two family members up to get all the food for every one, at what ever restaurant we choose, not always that one. lol The only thing with that restaurant is it never has enough sides, only fries and beans, it needs corn and corn bread. Cause even if we do eat there, if we get beans or chili we all want corn bread! lol And we all love corn too so that wouldn't be another bad addition. We aren't much for french fries, I mean they are ok and all just not something I like to spend money on much. We are "real" food eaters. lol So we are usually sending some one to Aunt Polly's or the BBQ place or some where to get corn bread and/or corn.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2011, 09:54:38 AM »
So hmm, to me it sounds like they just need to add more food places. there's plenty of places to do so.

That's a tasty idea, but they would have to remember quality over quantity. I'm not sure if new food places would work considering how many complaints they are getting over the food places they already have.

However, if they can maintain quality, then I think you have a good idea. :)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »
I agree with the sides issue. My family does not eat fries. My 4 year old abhorrs*** (sp?) potatoes of any kind. Will not touch em. My husband and I dont eat potatoes due to they dont fit in out diet. And its not somethin I travel an hour an forty five for anyhow. If I am going to spend money I am going to spend it one something I cant easily pbtain at walmart and easily cook at home and have it taste just as good.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

MagnoliaWhisper

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2011, 05:29:24 PM »
So true Ozark, quality all the way. That's what used to be best about the food at SDC! I don't understand why they can't keep that up. At the VERY least at the places that used to have that. They could still throw up some kids/family friendly "fast food" type joints around the park, and the complaining people about the lines that don't care about quality over fastness would just know those were the restaurants for them. lol Although it would be great to have it all be good quality like it used to be.

And exactly Miss. Now my kids do loooooooove french fries, cause my MIL gave them to them. And we don't. I mean we do once in a while but it's not one of our every day foods and I for sure am not going to pay "park" prices for french fries! Sorry. lol I would like to see them have more sides like Aunt Polly's has, a veggie or two (real veggie, not just french fried potatoes, things like green beans, collard greens I think would go great with the style food that is in that particular restaurant for instance, and such as that). And then of course like I said since they sell Chili there and as far as I know the only place that sells Chili on the park, and I believe in the winter they also have beef stew there (or at least they used to), then I have no idea why they wouldn't have corn bread, as most people like corn bread with such, and corn bread is a OZARK staple. In fact in my grandma's day (the great depression) that was the main meal of every day for the folks in the ozarks, corn bread and milk was dinner every night for my grandma. And as far as I know only Aunt Polly's sells it. With it being such a ozark original food, especially for the 1880's theme of the ozarks I think it should at least be where the chili and beef stew is. lol ;o)

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2011, 06:35:50 PM »
I just got done venting to my sister (it's her fault, she brought it up).
I was saying how I wish SDC would have spent the million dollars for Half Dollar Holler on re building the things I loved as a kid, like the tree house (the entrance was a tree) and the tree house where Tom Sawyer's Landing used to be.
 The one thing me and my sister agreed on (shocking, huh?) was since SDC has a ton of other land they could have put HDH on instead of right next to the Swingin' Bridge. It used to be so pretty and really fun to go across the Swingin' Bridge, now it's just screaming kids. I can think of 5 other places they coulda put HDH instead of right next to the Swingin' Bridge.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2011, 06:40:59 PM »
I agree, I loved the bridge the old way, and the mood of the area is definitely different.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »
As far as I can tell, part of HDH looks kinda like the playground over by Geyser Gulch. It kinda looks like straps weaved together and you have to try to find the hole to climb through.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2011, 06:44:24 PM »
count me in also!  they ruined the swinging bridge area. nuf sed!

pintrader

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »
In all fairness I have to agree!  I think they could have done better than a minature version of Geyser Gulch with a shrink ray version of the Wave Carousel.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2011, 09:22:07 PM »
they could have easily put HDH where WB was.....but they elected not too...so there ya are!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2011, 09:36:35 PM »
It could have been a kind of add on to the ball thing at GG.

I think they should get our opinion before doing anything!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:38:46 PM by tiffanylynnt »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2011, 09:50:54 PM »
I wish for the return of
- Rube Dugan's Diving Bell
- the gunfights
- big feud between the Hatfields and McCoys
- skillet bowls that have been replaced by Philly steak sandwiches (all over the park)
- walking thru the Treehouse with the twinkling lights
- wedge of cheese that was served at Dine In the Mine and the the dessert tray! Yum!
- the bookstore
- REAL tintypes - not the digital ones they produce now
- asphalt being replaced by concrete
- the clip clop of horses as you walk across the bridge.  Is it gone or broken?
- listening to the taffy making machine in the Taffy Shop
- remember the open air vendors that sold corn on the cob dripping with butter and bbq ribs         (I think they were served on a stick)

I hate - the cold drink cases near the back of the park
         - the higher prices and smaller portions of food
         - cold sandwiches only at Jack's Sandwich Board; no more hot ones - what a bummer!
         - absence of the mile high pies!
         - the condition of American Plunge (my favorite ride)
         - the funky slushie machines that allow you to make your own slushie
         - hot drinks served w/o a lid - I've had a few spilled on me! Ouch!  A mug is essential!!

I love - the crisp morning smell
         - the smell of wood fire in the Fall
         - walking on asphalt thru falling leaves
         - sorghum making even though it's not on main street
         - a billion Christmas lights that twinkle like no other
         - hot chocolate served as "the works" at the place on Main Street
         - Sasparilla in a cold, glass bottle
         - SILVER DOLLAR CITY AND ALWAYS WILL!