Author Topic: Your top suggestions on making the park even better  (Read 33173 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Your top suggestions on making the park even better
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 11:54:12 PM »
Go to Echo Hollow close to showtime...maybe an hour prior to the show...ask for him. If he is able, I'm sure he'd come out to shake your hand and say "howdy."
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 09:50:27 AM »
I am prob late to the party as I havent had internet in my home for a while now but here goes..........

I want the old gags back!!!! The street shows I was too young to remember back and I will sign yall's petition. I would hate to see the sparkle gone. I go to SDC for the fun and difference it produces, not just for the rides. I want to see more street performances and zany citizens. I want WOW! PIZAZZ! EXCITMENT!! Instead of another multimillion dollar ride, pay to upgrade FITH and AP and the shootout. Yes I know they do this but spend a bit more to bring it back to life. I know times change and they are competing with SF and what not but SDC is what it is due to how it began and that was with zany citizens and original ideas. It might never go back to that, and if that is so well poo, but it just takes a handfull of people like Terry to make a families trip memerable. A smidge different from anywhere else. Heck I would love to be hired to go around zinging visitors to the park and wearing outlandish outfits. *deep healing breath* with that being said I cant wait to see the log show. and I could be wrong with my thoughts on this. Anyhow.......mail me the petition. I wanna sign it.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 10:29:45 AM »
Here is an example of a street skit from the early '80's that can be found on the "Sounds of Silver Dollar City" album:

(Gunshots on Main Street, SDC)

Hillbilly 1: Sheriff, arrest this man!

Sheriff: Why should I arrest him?

Hillbilly 1: He sold me a mule that was blind!

Sheriff: Did you sell him a mule that was blind without telling him?

Hillbilly 2: NO!

Sheriff: You told him the mule was blind?

Hillbilly 2: Well, I told the animal wasn't looking too good!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 10:40:31 AM »
I know times change and they are competing with SF and what not but SDC is what it is due to how it began and that was with zany citizens and original ideas.

There's the bottom line right there! ;)

Silver Dollar City used to be famous with their gags both perfermed by their citizens, and by their props throughout the park. The giant saw blade in the Flooded Mine, and the sliding outhouse on Jim Owen's Float Trip are good examples. Plus, the replaced painting in the Saloon Show that used to cover itself up that Junior mentioned recently. Everything at Silver Dollar City used to be a gag, or stunt, or a play on words. Silver Dollar City really knew how to make fun of themselves.

And Junior that is classic! :D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 05:06:01 PM »
Here are a few more examples of that ole SDC "uniqueness"

Hillbilly:  Hey, folks...I was comin' on in to town today and I seen this dead hog hangin' from a tree! Yeah, a DEAD HOG hangin' in a tree. (Sadly) I guess it was "suey-cide!"

--
Hillbilly: Folks, I sure am sorry things are running behind schedule around here today. I was late for work. I seen this sign that said "clean restrooms ahead," and so I stopped and cleaned seven of them!
--

Hillbilly: Ladies and gentleman, welcome to Jim Owens Float Trip! Yes, today you will float the James River, the 8th wonder of the world! It's the only river that runs in a complete circle!
--
(Hillbilly blows nose loudly into a big bandana and...) Hillibilly: You may think that's funny...but it's SNOT!

OK, enough for now. They were funny in the '70's and 80's.  :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 06:01:53 PM »
 :) :) :)    couple of smiles!.

eagle1

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2011, 09:40:35 PM »
Yeah, thinking back on the saloon show. Remember Carrie Nation & the Black Bart skits? Those were great, the show is okay now but it would be great if maybe every once in awhile they would bring back some of the skits they used to do just to keep it "back in the 1800's past". I miss the shattering mirror and the picture, etc.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2011, 10:26:27 PM »
I e-mailed SDC a few weeks ago asking so see some of the old Saloon shows again and they told me those were on the "radar".  So we may just get our wishes!
I'm Your Huckleberry

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2011, 11:03:17 PM »
I miss the shattering mirror and the picture, etc.

Agreed. The first time I saw the show without the shattering mirror at the end, I thought to myself "wait, is the show over?"

FireInTheHole

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 01:01:18 PM »
I wouldn't mind having the FITH a tad bit slower speed.  I know that ride was slower a few years ago. 

I would take out a lot of the stupid novelty junk in the HH and around the park that nobody buys.  Replace it with some period era items.

Take out some of the unecessarily long que lines

Lower the price on a few food items

Bring back the street shows that used to bring the crowd to a stop

Offer more days to support causes  i.e.  autism, veterans, metally handicap, single families, and other days to bring those types of families closer.

Keep the summer hours open longer and extend Moonlight Madness out a hour or two.  It's so frustrating to have to leave the park at 7pm in the middle of July!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 12:18:26 AM »
I wouldn't mind having the FITH a tad bit slower speed.  I know that ride was slower a few years ago. 

I may be completely wrong, but it seems like I read that they can actually adjust the speed of Fire in the Hole based on crowd levels.

I would take out a lot of the stupid novelty junk in the HH and around the park that nobody buys.  Replace it with some period era items.

I completely agree that they could improve on their merchandise selections.

Take out some of the unecessarily long que lines

Well, it all depends on which attractions you are referring too. Thunderation has an incredibly long queue line simply because when it was built, it was the only attraction like it at the park. I can remember spending what seemed like an hour waiting to ride it years ago.

Lower the price on a few food items

The prices could be a bit more reasonable.

Bring back the street shows that used to bring the crowd to a stop

They have done better recently, but I agree that they need more of the original shows.

Offer more days to support causes  i.e.  autism, veterans, metally handicap, single families, and other days to bring those types of families closer.

Well, its hard to offer support, and benefits, and perks for every condition known to mankind, but I understand the basic sentiment that you are driving at.

Keep the summer hours open longer and extend Moonlight Madness out a hour or two.  It's so frustrating to have to leave the park at 7pm in the middle of July!

Longer hours, means more manpower, more manpower means more wages, more wages means higher ticket prices. However, if you are really interested in staying after dark you could try the Christmas Season when they stay open till 9:00 PM.  ;)

I'm just teasing of course. Those are all really great suggestions! ;D

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 06:02:46 AM »
I bet there's alot'a single parent familys that would love to take their kids to SDC but cant afford it. Good thought FITH! 
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 07:46:43 AM »
good points FITH>!!

I often wondered why they close so "early" in may-sept.  Lots of potential hours there, But that woudl mean more man power and overhead.  you know that has been factored in.

MagnoliaWhisper

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2011, 04:20:06 AM »
I agree about the street shows they were always my favorite. And instead of all these premade merchandise stores, I would like to see actual hand made crafts from the parks crafters being the bigger shops! I know there is still some left, but.......there used to be a lot more craft items sold and a lot less premade junk.

MagnoliaWhisper

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2011, 04:41:15 AM »
Oh and I did forget, I want to see the meringue pies back too! They were sooooooo good! Always something to look forward to.

I went to EVERY location that used to sell pies, and couldn't find one meringue, that was 2 years ago, I was there pregnant and seriously craving the big ole' slice of lemon meringue they used to sell. I started asking every one and no one knew what happened to them. For sure a must see back on the park!

My husband and my mom also really used to like the Steak on a Axle they used to sell. they both miss it a lot.

My step father and I on the other hand also miss the cajun food. I in fact did call Chef Zadar about the cajun food, and he said it just wasn't selling enough, people want hot dogs, pizza, and burgers now. Hmph not me! I can get that at home! UHG! I haven't called about the pies yet though.