Author Topic: The "Old" Worlds Of Fun  (Read 8181 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
The "Old" Worlds Of Fun
« on: July 12, 2011, 10:38:22 AM »
I was just wondering how many of you had been to Worlds of Fun in Kansas City and if you had memories of it from years ago. Do any of you remember the Cotton Blossom riverboat? The marionette puppet show? The old dolphin show with Skipper and Dolly? The jungle cars that were like the taxi cars? How about the mascot characters?

Will you share your memories and favorite times from the "old" W.O.F.?
Andymeets1880s

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: The "Old" Worlds Of Fun
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 11:06:30 AM »
I was nine when I first went to Worlds of Fun; it was in 1994. So I remember the dolphin show (which I really liked!), but the rest were gone. Zambezi Zinger was still there, but I was stupid and didn't ride it and now I'll never get to...

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 01:10:34 PM »
all time fav was orient express   got the face that was above the entrance tattooed. also the dolphin show right beside it was awesome.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 03:41:24 PM »
I was there with a vocal trip in 8th grade. Spent some time there when I went to visit my cousin in Paola, KS in 89

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 05:27:32 PM »
Wanted to go to WOF most of my life...finally got to in 1990. Sorry, was not overly impressed. Been there, done that! It was OK, but I would not go out of my way to go back again. Having grown up in the St. Louis area, I'm a Six Flags guy, but, I have not been there since 1997. My wife didn't like it too much, so we have not been back. Maybe someday. However, it is very nice being just an hour and a half away from SDC/Branson, and I will admit, the SDC season pass paid for itself this year. Well worth it!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:27:05 AM »
Anyone remember the three mascots from the 70's and early 80's?

There was Dan'l Coon, Sam Panda and I cant remember the third one....an ape I think?

Anyone remember and know?
Andymeets1880s

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »
Grrtrude the Gorilla
http://www.worldsoffun.org/history/1980.html

Research... I guess I'm getting pretty good at it

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 11:16:38 AM »
Good job, okie! I knew it was an ape. I just forgot the name!  ::)
Andymeets1880s

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 06:03:35 AM »
oh gosh andy, dont get me started on this topic. i think it opened in 1973, we had passes every year. i remember the disco place where ya could go & dance & meet chics!. concerts at the ampitheatre, but my #1 ride was the Wing Ding." the safari cars we used to wait till we was in the woods & then we would turn up the idle on the throttle & make'm go faster. a friend of mine worked there & he would always sneak me in thru the employee gates.
Live life like it's the last day!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:17:58 AM »
Oh, the amphitheater, How-do! I saw Johnny Cash, Chuck Berry and Cheap Trick there!

Highlights:

Johnny Cash had John Carter, his son, with him and they did a bad joke for fun. Johnny asked John Carter "Hey, how bout' after the show, we go to Wyandotte County Lake and do some fishin'?" John Carter replied "Ok." Johnny asked him "You got worms?" John Carter said "Yeah, but I'm goin' anyway!" The crowd laughed and "Ohhhhhhh'd" and Johnny just grinned from ear to ear! Oh yeah, and the gates were partially opened where the trucks were and you could see Johnny's 18 wheelers. They were jet black and one had a license plate that said something to the effect of "Grandma Raised Mama, Mama Raised me, I Raise H*ll!

Chuck Berry took requests (Yes, he did Johnny B. Goode) and he duckwalked!

For Cheap Trick, me and two other guys were standing at the chain way down at the beginning of the sidewalk that went into the amphitheater. CT's guitarist, Rick Neilsen came all the way down to us and did his soundcheck. He was standing literally two feet from us and was just riffing and playing to do his soundcheck and talking to us! He even asked us how it sounded like we were part of the crew!

Good memories!
Andymeets1880s

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 10:31:48 AM »
Haven't been to WoF since the early 80's. It was ok, I guess. The thing that amused me the most was a turkey (I believe) puppet in a booth. He had 30 or so people gathered around with whom he was bantering and insulting. Some of that was pretty funny.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

crsjrr

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »
I've searched the web and found a few sites, but I'd like to find a few pictures of the Showboat being dismantled and hauled away. Is there a ride grave yard somewhere on the WOF property? Was it hauled off as debris to the landfill? 

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 06:49:55 PM »
Cool story Andy! Have ya seen the video i found called Vintage WoF? Remember the Incredidome? I miss hi-skies tho', i have always enjoyed them. I remember the accidents on the Barnstormer & where the EXT was. We live by Ameristar & can hear the train whistle if the wind is from the north!!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 08:42:01 AM »
The EXT? Yep....how 'bout the Screamroller?! And when in Africa, ya' gotta do the Shooting Gallery (if it's still there. I havent been to WOF in thirteen years!) But when I have went, I had to go to the Shooting Gallery and make the piano player tickle the ivorys!
Andymeets1880s

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 09:39:12 PM »
as far as i know of acouple years ago, the shooting gallery was still there.